That neck on your guitar - you've never found a better neck since

What's Hot

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    rexter said:

Probably not to a lot of peoples' tastes as it was very narrow at the nut and incredibly chunky/deep. Refretted with medium frets it played like a dream. Just really comfy and exactly how I like them.

That's how I describe the neck on my 66 mustang. It's not freakishly narrow like an A-width fender, but it's no wider than 41mm and the back profile at the nut is quite clubby. There's barely any taper between neck and headstock. The allparts neck I got from you is a lot like it, actually. 

The neck on my tokai strat has that narrow nut but it's small all over. That's a really nice neck to play. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1083
    Does anyone else really struggle with the blade 61 SG necks. I absolutely love the sound and look of them but those thin wide necks are horrible to hold.

My 59ri 330 neck is the best for me. I thought it was fairly big but now it feels tiny after playing my Nocaster.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    bbill335 said:
    The neck on my tokai strat has that narrow nut but it's small all over. That's a really nice neck to play. 
    I think I'd like the neck on that strat :+1: 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    I've owned and played dozens of guitars over the years from Strats, LP's, PRS, Eggle, Ibanez, etc. Although there were many different neck shapes, I've been happy with most of them which would suggest that I'm not very fussy.
    However, of all the Tele's I've played in shops and belonging to friends, I've absolutely hated most of the neck profiles. Don't know why that is.
    joetele said:
    bbill335 said:
    I think it's a 70s fender thing. It's a tokai silver star, so it's a copy of the late 70s strat. I had a 70s reissue mij mustang and that had a great tiny neck too. If you look at a jazz bass neck from the 70s, they're like a baby's wrist, just incredibly slim and narrow. 

bbill335 said:
    joetele said:
    bbill335 said:
    I think it's a 70s fender thing. It's a tokai silver star, so it's a copy of the late 70s strat. I had a 70s reissue mij mustang and that had a great tiny neck too. If you look at a jazz bass neck from the 70s, they're like a baby's wrist, just incredibly slim and narrow. 

Looks like 70s style for my next Fender or Squier purchase then... :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    edited July 2018
    AlexO said:
    Does anyone else really struggle with the blade 61 SG necks. I absolutely love the sound and look of them but those thin wide necks are horrible to hold.

My 59ri 330 neck is the best for me. I thought it was fairly big but now it feels tiny after playing my Nocaster.

I'm with you.  I love a Nocaster neck.  Wide and thin is the very worst neck profile for me, narrow(ish) and fat for the win.

rexter said:
    I miss the neck on a 1968 Melody Maker SG I had more than any other I think.

Probably not to a lot of peoples' tastes as it was very narrow at the nut and incredibly chunky/deep. Refretted with medium frets it played like a dream. Just really comfy and exactly how I like them.
    I like the sound of that neck!
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    edited July 2018
    I'd say my squier strat I got as a teenager. Though I believe it's more likely as it was the guitar I spent most time learning on that makes it feel comfortable. Though after digging out of my parents loft quite years later it didn't feel the same. 

also I thought it used to sound decent i plugged it in and it was a horrendous noise machine. Well that's my usual playing style. 
    joetele said:
    bbill335 said:
    joetele said:
    bbill335 said:

Watch out coz MIM/MIA Fenders seem to have 43mm wide nuts across the majority of models these days. Try to find some old Tokais/Grecos/etc. to try out, I think you've got a better chance of finding something with a small neck. 
    bbill335 said:
    joetele said:
    bbill335 said:
    joetele said:
    bbill335 said:

Watch out coz MIM/MIA Fenders seem to have 43mm wide nuts across the majority of models these days. Try to find some old Tokais/Grecos/etc. to try out, I think you've got a better chance of finding something with a small neck. 
    Cheers dude. I'm not actively looking right this minute, but I'm always looking...
  • Oddly it was the neck on an Adamas acoustic from the early 90s - v shaped and perfect for my hand. The rest of the guitar was fine for the time but I moved on. The neck on my 40th Anniversary Tele was not dissimilar... 
  • EartrumpetEartrumpet Frets: 98
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    My PRS 25th Anniversary Mira had, what to me was an amazing neck. Realy comfy and easy for me to play. I regret selling that guitar and now i can't afford to get another.

I understand that this neck carve was only available on this model too so a cheaper alternative looks out of the question

I believe it was the Regular (sometimes known as Standard) profile, which was also an option on the "normal" humbucker loaded, 24 fret Mira.

The difference was the 25th had 22 frets and, I think, the slightly shorter 24.5" scale.

I knew about the scale length but not the neck detail, so thanks for that info.
    Maybe worth going out and trying a few other PRS guitars then.
    I liked the rounded  almost fat feel to the neck, also liked the P90s but that is another thing....... as i said Regrets
    Try some S2 models, they nearly all have the Regular neck profile (or the updated Pattern Regular, anyway).  Probably won't feel exactly the same as your old Mira, but they won't be a million miles away.  Not too pricey secondhand, either.
    Many thanks for the heads up, i will have a look about. Wiz given, thanks again
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Philly_Q said:
    joetele said:
    is it likely that Fender would have changed the neck profiles at all? Even within the same run of Teles (hence me finding the ones in shops at the same time felt different)? Was I lucky and did I get a 'good one' of the batch? 

I've owned a lot of guitars with theoretically identical neck profiles and no matter the manufacturer, no matter their reputation for quality control (or lack thereof), the necks always, always feel different.

I think it's inevitable when the material is something as variable as wood and there's some degree of human intervention, no matter how little, in the manufacturing process.
    I was wondering about this too as my Jackson has a great neck, certainly as good as any of the MIJ 90's Professional series. Being a flat sawn blank I wondered if different blanks would have higher or lower qualities depending where they were harvested from in relation to each other?
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9166
    Honestly, the neck shape I like depends on my mood and what I’m playing. I can’t do super skinny, but I’ve got everything from 60s c to nocaster u. 

My absolute favourite though is broadcaster 0038. Musikraft recreate blackguard necks based on Nacho Banos measurements. I’ve had 3 different ones, and they are unreal.
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    bbill335 said:
    rexter said:

That's how I describe the neck on my 66 mustang. It's not freakishly narrow like an A-width fender, but it's no wider than 41mm and the back profile at the nut is quite clubby. There's barely any taper between neck and headstock. The allparts neck I got from you is a lot like it, actually. 

Sounds like a nice neck Bill. I have a 70s Musicmaster neck stashed away in my neck cupboard which is actually quite similar to that. I swapped a vintage mustang i’d restored for the Gibson that I’m pining for.
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    My Eric Clapton strat has an amazing neck. Sold it when I was a daft youngun as I liked chopping and changing my guitars . I keep promising myself that I will buy another one at some point
  • dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 139
    Blues Saraceno TV Twenty (made by Samick)........or more recently my Ancho Poblano (nocaster size/profiled strat neck).
  • matt.drink73matt.drink73 Frets: 153
    Ditto on my 99 US Tele, beat to shit maple board with bits flaking off but I’ve never played anything like it. Had custom shops and vintage ones etc that don’t come close. A friend even liked it so much he bought an identical one from the same year which isn’t even close. If you get THAT neck don’t even think about selling!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ditto on my 99 US Tele, beat to shit maple board with bits flaking off but I’ve never played anything like it. Had custom shops and vintage ones etc that don’t come close. A friend even liked it so much he bought an identical one from the same year which isn’t even close. If you get THAT neck don’t even think about selling!
    Agreed. I once thought about selling it, and now I'm imagining how furious I'd be with my past self if I'd have done so. Played it at practice yesterday and was still in awe at the neck. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16000
    2 words.........MUSIC MAN