Tele -335 mash-up thought experiment

What's Hot
bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 880
If I were considering replacing a tele and a 335 with one guitar, that covered most of the same ground, where should I be looking?

Thinline Tele?
Probett Rocket?
Gustavsson Fullerblaster?

I have definitely not made up my mind, so any experiences will be earnestly considered.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26750
    What elements of each are you hoping to keep?

Scale length? body shape? body size? maple neck/fretboard? pickups?

If just looking for something that sounds mostly-335-ish in a smaller body, I'd buy a Gibson CS336 (which is exactly what I did). 

Or you could go MJT/SC Relics partscaster Tele thinline with maybe a halfway house scale length and PAF in at least the neck position. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited July 2018
    New alternative universe Telecaster with 3 way toggle and 2 humbuckers and Gibson type bridge, as demo' d by blindfolded Jonny 5. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    What can you only currently play on one of them, and why? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Lots, it really depends on your taste. Gretsch Duo Jet, PRS Starla, PRS Vela or a Duesenberg.

Thinline Tele will not be fat enough in the bridge position unless you get dual hums w partial splits. 

You could also put Filtertrons in a 335 ala Chris Cornell.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I'd have thought they are so chalk and cheese that finding one instrument that covers the characteristics of both would be as near as dammit impossible.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I'd have thought they are so chalk and cheese that finding one instrument that covers the characteristics of both would be as near as dammit impossible.
    I agree, but I can't think of any style of music you can play on one but not the other.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    Reverend Club King 290 or similar
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    p90fool said:
    I agree, but I can't think of any style of music you can play on one but not the other.
    Yes they both seem to be quite versatile in use. Maybe most guitars are with the exception of purpose-built machines for widdling, dive-bombing etc ... even jazzboxes don't dictate that you play jazz on them.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    Never played one, but I believe the Musicman Valentine was designed with that goal in mind.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
  • Jackobean said:
    Never played one, but I believe the Musicman Valentine was designed with that goal in mind.

This^
    i have one and I can confirm that it twangs like a Tele in the bridge, and can do woody, jazzy tones with the tone rolled down, and the bridge PU set as a humbucker. 

The Valentine was designed so that James Valentine could play a whole set with it, replacing a Tele and a 335. 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader

If you're into doing a part caster, I used to make a crossover between a T/C and 335, see photo below. That one happens to be Fender scale P90's set neck, with the same neck angle as a LPJ to take a TOM bridge. I also used to do it with no neck angle, use a standard Fender hard tail, but also make it with a neck angle and Gibson scale. It's fully chambered with a solid block down the centre as per a 335 but in mahogany. The one in the picture as of mahogany cap. I also made them with flame or quilted maple caps. Basically any of the above with any pickup configuration you fancy, set neck or bolt on neck. Sound wise ones made from mahogany very much into the Gibson sound even when fitted with fender type pickups. If made of Swamp Ash or American red Alder with T/C's pickup's would definitely go nearer the Fender sound. Making a guitar to cover Fender and Gibson sounds is not the easiest thing in the world to do, if you load with slightly hot T/C pickups connected to a four way switch you do get a H/B the sound as well.

I have one of these in stock. Not exactly the same as the one in the photo, has more of a standard MM head stock shape, it's fully chambered, carved top. The pickup routs have not been done on the one I still have or any holes drilled yet.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fender Starcaster? Never actually played one, but it was the first thing that sprung to mind when trying to think of a 335-esque Fender. 

No idea what they actually play or sound like, but they look cool and that's the most important thing, right?!
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 880
    @GSPBASSES ; thanks for that. Very informative. 
    @Jackobean and @mistercharlie there was a Valentine for sale here that I looked at plenty, but ultimately I thought the neck was a bit narrow. 
    @Fishboy7 that Fano looks fantastic. 

Hoping for Tele twang for country bends but also some jazzy tones.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited July 2018
    This has given me the idea for a 335 body, butterscotch blonde, black scratchplate, maple neck, with a telecaster bridge.

I don't think I've seen it done yet? Has anyone put a Tele bridge on a proper hollowbody?
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited July 2018
    Rather than a new guitar...

A bit simplistic maybe but would either a neck humbucker in the Tele or coil split in the 335 bridge get you most of the way there? 

Also so what about an Es335s?

https://youtu.be/O2wl5KxAOYM
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    Rather than a new guitar...

Would either a neck humbucker in the Tele or coil split in the 335 bridge get you most of the way there? 
    I should have said that if I could I would only have one guitar but realistically I think two is the minimum. Strat type and (probably) a Tele type, but an Uber Tele.
    edited July 2018
    Are Fanos built under license now? I noticed that the one on eBay is made by the same people who make some Gustavssons.

Edit:Found the answer; they are part of Premier Builders Guild along with Two Rock, Tone King 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    They can actually be surprisingly and remarkably similar-sounding.

Ask Dave Edmunds. When his legendary blonde 50s 335 became too fragile and valuable to gig with, he replaced it with a '52RI Tele.

I would think that a 2HB Tele Thinline (with Gibson-type HBs, rather than Wide-Range) would get you even closer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    G&L Tribute ASAT Bluesboy semi-hollow would probably get you in the right ballpark. Single coil at the bridge and humbucker at the neck. Bridge definitely Tele-like but just a bit warmer and smoother. Lovely warm rounded tones from the neck HB. Both together gives a great rhythm sound.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it