Baha Tele, it sounds rubbish..

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3351
In every position except the bridge, it sounds dull and muddy and very very un-tele like. I will have a play with pickup height but if I wanted to go for standard Tele electronics would it be difficult? Would there be a way to utilise the 4 way switch if I went standard? Please tell me about tele wiring options, and if you have a Baha does it sound poor in every position except the bridge?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I can’t comment on the Baja, but if you want a 4th position suggestion-I like the Eldred mod on my Esquire. It’s a cocked wah tone and is wicked with a bit of drive. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    You can use a 4-way switch to give the standard Tele sounds plus both pickups in parallel and out-of-phase, if the neck pickup already has the cover separately grounded.

But if all positions other than the bridge are muddy, that means you don't like the normal neck pickup sound or the in-phase parallel sound either, so it sounds like the capacitance of the cover might be the issue. The very first thing to try is removing the ground connection from the cover. Simply snip the wire, preferably at the cover end. (Make sure it's the cover ground and not the coil ground!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    What's un-tele-like about a guitar only sounding good on the bridge pickup? :P 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i had one and it sounded OK, then i put in a Mojo wiring harness and ditched all the S1 bollocks and it sounded so much better

• SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    S1 Switching system has a reputation for sucking tone. I have an American Deluxe Tele which originally had the S1 switch and N3 noiseless pickups. Replaced the lot with Bare Knuckle Flat Pole 50 pickups and a Callaham control plate assembly with a regular 4 way switch. Made a big improvement.
    You shouldn't need to change your pickups, aren't they custom shop models?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Clearly it sounds rubbish coz it’s got a H and not a J in it... no?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    Bahahaha!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Bahahaha!
    Groan!
  • BoopDeWoopBoopDeWoop Frets: 101
    Bajajajajaja.
    I had one, it was rubbish too. Sold it on very quickly.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    I thought it was pretty standard wiring when the S1 switch is not in the circuit.

Baja Teles can vary.  I briefly had a really good one, but I've played others that weren't great.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    SidNewton said:
    S1 Switching system has a reputation for sucking tone. I have an American Deluxe Tele which originally had the S1 switch and N3 noiseless pickups. Replaced the lot with Bare Knuckle Flat Pole 50 pickups and a Callaham control plate assembly with a regular 4 way switch. Made a big improvement.
    You shouldn't need to change your pickups, aren't they custom shop models?
    The s1 switch itself won't affect the tone, it's just a (very cool) 4-in-1 switch that can be used for anything any other switch can be used for.

I think on the Baja it puts both pickups in series with each other which I have always found to sound bad. If I got a Baja I'd instantly change it to standard tele switching.

Interesting to see the negative comments in this thread, I've only heard great things about the Baja. Kind of glad to hear negatives in a weird way cause I'm regularly fighting gas for one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    The baja is a cracking guitar... admittedly I have changed the pickups in mine as I found the neck to be too straty and the bridge was just shite...

but, the switching system is fecking brilliant!... standard tele tones and a few more that are really useful.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    IIRC, the neck position pickup in the Baja Telecaster is based on the Custom Shop Twisted Telecaster pickup. I doubt that its chromed cover is made from the best choice of metal. It might be worth trying the pickup with the original cover removed.

My taste in Telecaster neck position pickups is for A3 rod magnets. Second choice, three A5 and three A2. This board's favourite UK pickup builders may or may not offer such products. 

Be seeing you.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7743
    Love mine. It’s sounds Epic. love blue colour too!
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    The baja is a cracking guitar... admittedly I have changed the pickups in mine as I found the neck to be too straty and the bridge was just shite...

but, the switching system is fecking brilliant!... standard tele tones and a few more that are really useful.

I really liked your one too, the switching worked great, I'd try it 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3351
    Ive faffed around with the pickup heights and its sounding better, I will have another play with them tomorrow night. I did notice to get it sounding right I had to turn the tone way down to half way, and the sizzling noise would almost disappear as well, you know that awfull sizzling noise that only goes away if you touch the strings? Im wondering if that has something to do with it? 
    robgilmo said:
    Ive faffed around with the pickup heights and its sounding better, I will have another play with them tomorrow night. I did notice to get it sounding right I had to turn the tone way down to half way, and the sizzling noise would almost disappear as well, you know that awfull sizzling noise that only goes away if you touch the strings? Im wondering if that has something to do with it? 
    There will be a green wire running from the neck pickup to the back of one of the pots... try desoldering that or clipping it. 

Its the “ground” wire for the neck pickup cover... you may possibly notice a slight increase in noise but it will also make the pickup sound a bit brighter and add a bit of clarity to it!...

if you dont don’t like that you can put the green wire back!...
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3351
    That's the thing, its already very noisy. It buzzes like hell unless I turn the tone right down, I will give it a go though,
    robgilmo said:
    That's the thing, its already very noisy. It buzzes like hell unless I turn the tone right down, I will give it a go though,
    The buzz goes away when you hold the strings tho’?
    poopot said:
    robgilmo said:
    The buzz goes away when you hold the strings tho’?
    What if he's playing the intro to "Nothing Else Matters"?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom