Bizarre Pigeon Experience

What's Hot
wave100wave100 Frets: 150
Got in from work this afternoon and slumped down watching crap on Youtube, as you do. I then heard a strange noise coming from my bedroom at the back of the flat and when I opened the door, there was a pigeon flying around the room.  That's weird, I thought. So I went to get the key to open the window sufficiently to let it out, making sure to shut the door on my way out. I then heard a noise coming from the spare bedroom next to it and when I opened that door, there was another pigeon flying round that room. WTF I thought and had to open the other door to check that I wasn't hallucinating. But I wasn't - there was indeed a pigeon in each room.  The windows had been open, but not more than a few inches, so they must have thought that my rooms looked like a great place to move into (my flat is on the 3rd floor).

Anyway I managed to open the windows and persuade them to leave, hopefully without any damage (apart from psychological) but obviously both my bedrooms are now covered in pigeon shit. Also my LDC mic was sitting on it's stand in my bedroom, so of course it landed on that, breaking the suspension mount. Not sure I want to sing into that without it being disinfected. Also my iPad was sitting beside my bed and is totally covered in shit, so thanks for that, pigeons.

So I just felt I had to share this experience as it's one of the strangest things that's happened to me. Also if anyone has any advice on how to clean up pigeon shit, I am all ears...
13reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I've spent my whole life trying to get 2 birds in the bedroom at the same time
    31reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) they were in different rooms.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    perhaps they were hiding from Dick Dastardly. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • toescantalktoescantalk Frets: 142
    I had a pigeon sleep all night on my windowsill next to me (with window open) one night. It was obviously knackered as didn't move with my lying next to it. Didn't shit on anything, though, but don't feel like I missed out on anything there. Dettol and antiseptic wipes?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    If it's any comfort to you, you're probably not guano have that happen again
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    I once worked in a university department and our lab/office tended to have their windows left open overnight in warm weather. I came in one morning to find about twenty pigeons sitting inside on the windowsill. Luckily they didn't seem to have ventured further inside than that. The university installed netting over every window in the building soon after.

Then there was that time a pigeon hit my windscreen at 70mph, slid across it and got sucked in to the passenger side window, which was open about 3cm. One wing was inside, with the rest of it hanging outside. As I was preparing myself for the entire thing to be sucked into the car, the body was ripped off, leaving a twitching and bloody wing stuck in the window. Somehow, after a few seconds it went the way of the rest of the body rather than land on my lap, but in doing so, it sent a puff of feathers flying backwards through the car, cartoon style. I was picking feathers out of the back seat and boot for weeks.
    4reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Just cuing up OMC’s How Bizarre for you now . ..
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited July 2018
    Sfunny, I was in my local B&Q superstore yesterday, at the entrance to the outdoor section for the gardening stuff when in walked a pigeon as bold as brass. I tried to block its path to make it walk back out but it just kept skipping around me. When I gave up trying it then nonchalantly decided to head off down the isle where all the gardening kit, and grass seed was stored.
    Little bugger was a confident sod.. I could almost hear him saying 'feck off I'm shopping here!' 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    axisus said:
    I've spent my whole life trying to get 2 birds in the bedroom at the same time
    That would be quite the coup.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    A woman I used to work with's daughter was in trafalgar square watching a group of buddhist monks dancing when a pigeon flew straight into the side of her head and decked her.  A few months later she was in a pub 70 miles away and was relaying the story but saying it happened to someone else.  A bloke overheard from the next table and had been in trafalgar square at the same time and was videoing the monks and had caught the incident on his camera.

That's a pretty bizarre pigeon experience!
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    I had a similar experience - my cats caught a blackbird a couple of months ago, but I didn't know it was hiding under the sofa. So there I am in the lounge working, when I hear this chirp; turn around and there's a blackbird stood in the middle of the floor, suddenly surrounded by 3 very confused cats.

I rush in to try and grab it, which freaks all of them out, and the bird takes flight. So I'm chasing the bloody thing round the house, and it ends up upstairs in the office. Shut the door, trying to catch it - and the git then flies and lands on my shoulder and just stays there for a minute. proper pirate style.

Anyway, eventually I managed to catch it and let it fly out the window, but was one of those 'WTF?' moments....
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    FarleyUK said:
    I had a similar experience - my cats caught a blackbird a couple of months ago, but I didn't know it was hiding under the sofa. So there I am in the lounge working, when I hear this chirp; turn around and there's a blackbird stood in the middle of the floor, suddenly surrounded by 3 very confused cats.

I rush in to try and grab it, which freaks all of them out, and the bird takes flight. So I'm chasing the bloody thing round the house, and it ends up upstairs in the office. Shut the door, trying to catch it - and the git then flies and lands on my shoulder and just stays there for a minute. proper pirate style.

Anyway, eventually I managed to catch it and let it fly out the window, but was one of those 'WTF?' moments....
    Good that you managed to wing it in the end though
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I used to wonder how Hendrix (previous cat) managed to catch birds. Then one day we were playing the chase-the-small-plastic-ball game, and I threw it up to the ceiling. It just touched the ceiling and started its descent. When it reached my eye level, Hendrix, who was watching it closely from the floor, leaped up and clasped it in his front paws. So that's how he did it. Nothing to do with stalking or lying in wait!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    We had a small Singer hand operated sewing machine that my wife used to make clothes on. It had a rhythmic sound with a kind of squeak. 

There's me upstairs thinking she's sewing in the living room. Imagine my surprise when I went to talk with her and found that rather than her sewing, was a fucking pigeon flying round and round in circles in the middle of the room. It got in through a relatively small opening in the window and couldn't get itself out again and must've been there for around 15 minutes. 

I opened the windows fully and held up a blanket and walked towards it. It left pretty quickly and to my great surprise left far more feathers behind than shit. 
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    Recently I've regularly observed a Seagull sitting on my Hilux, picking at the wipers and rubbers, pecking the window and bonnet, and (and I kid you not) picking up large stones and dropping them on it from a height. This has gone on for over a week now.

1reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    I once stayed in a hotel called Mr Bed City in Paris and in the middle of the night I heard this strange warbling cooing noise. As I don’t have stereo hearing I spent about 5 minutes trying to identify its source. Eventually I opened a wardrobe door and there was a hole in the back of it leading out into Paris, and on the wardrobe shelf was a pigeon in a nest, looking askance at me and blinking. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited July 2018
    viz said:
    I once stayed in a hotel called Mr Bed City in Paris and in the middle of the night I heard this strange warbling cooing noise. As I don’t have stereo hearing I spent about 5 minutes trying to identify its source. Eventually I opened a wardrobe door and there was a hole in the back of it leading out into Paris, and on the wardrobe shelf was a pigeon in a nest, looking askance at me and blinking. 
    Bit shelfish of you to disturb it tho...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    viz said:
    only you could find a doorway in a wardrobe and not have it lead to a magic land.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I used to wonder how Hendrix (previous cat) managed to catch birds. Then one day we were playing the chase-the-small-plastic-ball game, and I threw it up to the ceiling. It just touched the ceiling and started its descent. When it reached my eye level, Hendrix, who was watching it closely from the floor, leaped up and clasped it in his front paws. So that's how he did it. Nothing to do with stalking or lying in wait!
    We had a previous cat called Houdini who used to catch birds. I always wondered how until one day I saw a group of jackdaws sitting on the telephone line that hung across our garden and over the garage roof at a height of about 7 feet - I could reach up and hold it when standing on the roof, but it was well above my head height. They were taunting the cat who was sitting on the roof directly under them. All of a sudden with no warning he leapt vertically up into the air and very nearly caught one of them - he missed, but only by a couple of inches. They all got a serious fright and I never saw them sit there again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    We have a Galgo (Spanish greyhound) rescue.

She can catch birds in flight when they are low enough as her ground speed is quicker than they can fly. 

She spends 90% asleep on the couch the lazy cow. But when she puts her mind to it she can move like no animal I’ve ever seen - majestic, rapid, decisive and deadly...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom