Turbos on cars

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
Looking at changing my current car sometime soon. At the moment I've got a normally aspirated 1.3 Toyota which is generally OK but lacks any real oomph when overtaking - especially up any sort of a gradient.

I'm liking the look of the Honda Civic, and see that it comes with a 1.2 turbo (or a 1.5 turbo on the Sport).

I haven't driven one yet, but presume that the turbo gives a very significant power boost. After all, 1.2 (or 1.5) litres doesn't sound very much and the Civic is a rather larger car than my current set of wheels.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811
    It depends on the size of the turbo, it's just a way making horsepower.

Significant? depends what you compare it to bit you will feel it.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    A turbo in modern small engines is a way to keep moderate power but with less emissions. They’re not like the older turbo engines which benefited from massive boost pressure. 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

The missus has 1 litre 3 cylinder Ford C-max and the engine is excellent.  Good low down torque and pulls well.  We've been all over Europe in it and it sailed up mountainous roads.  If going for a small petrol I'd definitely go for a turbo.  The 1L ecoboost I'm talking about is far better than many 1.6 normally aspirated engines I've tried recently.

My brother has the 140bhp version in a Fiesta and it flies.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1742
    They seem to be putting these small turbo charged 1 litre engines in all manner of cars. Just makes me wonder if the engines will last long.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    In my experience engines last longer than turbos. 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    We have the new Civic. It's actually only 1l. But with 128bhp. Pulls better than our old 1.6 Diesel once you get over the turbo lag.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    my wifes car is a 1.5 petrol engine turbo and that has 150bhp. it appears to be the best way to achieve power and economy. drives really well too.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    Modern 3-pot petrol turbos are brilliant, usually equivalent of a conventional L4 1.6 or 1.8. The Honda 1.0 VTEC Turbo is sensational and best in class. Similar units from Ford, VW, and Vauxhall are all on par with each other.

Go test drive one with an open mind, you'll be surprised.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    The modern small turbo engines are pretty smooth, they give good economy with more power when required.

My Fabia has a 1.4L engine that generates 180 BHP. Pretty amazing how much they can push the limits nowadays.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    My other car (Fiat 124 spider) has a 1.4 Turbo pushing 140bhp. With a simple remap it can do 170 out of The box. With a few add ons and remap 230bhp is entirely possible.
    And boy does it have some midrange punch.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited July 2018
    Mini Cooper has 3cyl and a Turbo and goes like the crackers - out the box
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    ronnyb said:
    They seem to be putting these small turbo charged 1 litre engines in all manner of cars. Just makes me wonder if the engines will last long.
    Lots of examples hitting high miles now.  Like any new tech failures are usually early on, ford for example had an issue with the 1L with a coolent hose, and had to have a recall.   Ours has done 46k now but many are over 100k.
    What you can’t simulate is 15 years of short journeys / cold starts, only time will test the engines in that way.

Also worth pointing out that there have been many issues with the big robust diesel engines, BMW had failure issues with their 2l, my neighbour for example spent 10k on a 320d a while ago then spent 5k on a new engine a few weeks later.  A known issue with the timing chain/belt I believe.

• My wife has a Nissan Qashqai with a 1.2 Turbo pertrol engine and it's bloody brilliant.

I wont say it's fast but it's nippy. Fully loaded with us two, two kids and everything but the kitchen sink, it gets about no problem!!
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    The only issue is that some of these cars are quite high geared as well, so autos can be a bit frustrating as they try to stay in the highest gear possible.   mrsrlw bought a Scirocco R a few months ago and it drives me barmy, trying  to be in 5th at 25 mph and 6th at 30mph.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    rlw said:
    The only issue is that some of these cars are quite high geared as well, so autos can be a bit frustrating as they try to stay in the highest gear possible.   mrsrlw bought a Scirocco R a few months ago and it drives me barmy, trying  to be in 5th at 25 mph and 6th at 30mph.
    There's usually a Sport mode on VW DSGs that makes them a bit keener - even my Alltrack has that. I normally use Eco mode for the coasting, but Sport mode for tricky junctions (it also adjusts the AWD setup to push more power to the back wheels).
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    Another vote for small turbos, the Peugeot 1l is great, the VAG 1.4 TFSI in 150bhp tune in a Leon pulls like a train.  They're refined on the motorway too.

I have a courtesy car at the moment, a Nissan Juke in poverty-spec 1.6 normally-aspirated guise.  It's crap.  I would take any small turbocharged unit instead in a heartbeat.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    edited July 2018
    Sporky said:
    rlw said:
    There's usually a Sport mode on VW DSGs that makes them a bit keener - even my Alltrack has that. I normally use Eco mode for the coasting, but Sport mode for tricky junctions (it also adjusts the AWD setup to push more power to the back wheels).
    You are quite correct but it has the opposite effect and hangs onto the lower gears for far too long and doesn't change up until around 3500 or more rpm.  A bit of thought and they could have had one, perfect, mode.

I am, of course, utterly spolit, as my 55AMG, in sport, changes up  just beyond the torque peak and drops you right back into it in the next gear - effing brilliant, but easy with 380ft/lbs of torque........................

In stark contract to my 944 turbo which began to wind itself up slowly from around 2000rpm, only to go berserk at 3000rpm on full boost................

Anyway, turbos on small engines are good.  Even Porsche have dropped two cylinders and added turbos to the Boxster/Cayman range and, while not sounding so good, are better to drive than the six cylinder motors.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

These small engines aren't all good:

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/eco-engines-are-among-the-most-polluting-according-to-new-emissions-index/

VW have started adding particulate filters to theirs.  Wait to see if other manufacturers follow suit.

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    A small turbo petrol is the best of all worlds for an everyday car.  Petrol driveability with diesel fuel efficiency.  Our 1.4 TSI Golf is not far off 10 years old now - it's never missed a beat and still feels faster than its 122bhp label.  It loves to rev, but can also do 30mph in 5th if you want, just over tickover, without complaint.  No diesel smell or noise.  A brilliant engine for a medium size car.  And the new ones have even more power for the same fuel consumption.  Diesel seems like the fuel of the past now.