Cheap digital camera

What's Hot
Needed to photograph insides of rental property to save getting ripped off at end of tenancy. Any suggestions?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313
    Your phone? 

Otherwise something from the normal players like Sony, Panasonic, Nikon, Canon. You really don’t need to spend masses of money to get decent pics. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    phone + £10 set of wide angle adaptors from amazon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    My phone plugs in the wall. It doesn't take pictures. It's a phone.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    5reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Any decent higher spec mobile phone will be perfect. I even make little movies on my Sony XZP.   Many cameras shoot 4k (although largely unnecessary imho). iPhones can take an external mic and you can get many lenses to fit on to enhance telephoto and wide angle capability.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't really understand why people  bother with vidcams and snapshot cameras.

Perhaps its time to ditch the phone that won't take photos?
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Someone Who Knows These Things told me in reality there's very little to choose between budget digital cameras. The best advice is simply to buy the one you fancy and then carefully read the manual, every word.
    Someone gave me a lol because I said my phone plugs in the wall. What's so funny about that?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    /\ you said wall...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    /\ you said wall...
    And plugs too he he he he he
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313
    Someone gave me a lol because I said my phone plugs in the wall. What's so funny about that?
    You are my mum and ICM £5. 

I’m sure you realise why you’re getting the lols really. ;) Seriously, you don’t have a mobile? Or you do and it’s an ancient Nokia without a camera? 

Get yourself on Amazon or Argos. Avoid the really cheap tat. £40 will get you something basic like a Polaroid that will do acceptable shots. Or you might pick up an old one in a charity shop... our local one often knocks out old 3 or 5 meg compacts for a fiver. If you’re planning to do more pics in the future and want something better, spend £90-£100 on a new one. Just chose a decent brand, as I mentioned above. 

@boogieman no, I don't have a mobile. I have a very old-fashioned device called a 'telephone' which allows me to make and receive, er, telephone calls. I also have a new-fangled device called a "BT hub" into which I plug my computers and this is connected via a strange thing called an "ADSL filter" to my telephone wire. One of my computers is probably as old as the telephone, but it still works and runs the old Microsoft Office programs that I want it to. I don't use it to access the interweb.

I also have a few cameras. One belonged to my late father, he bought it the year before I was born. Wasn't a top-notch device then and isn't now but it does take nice pix, 16 exposures on a 120 roll. We used to load it with Ilford FP4.

I've seen various cheapo digital cameras on amazon, I guess you're right about the ones from the big names being adequate for the intended usage so I'll check 'em out.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @boogieman no, I don't have a mobile. I have a very old-fashioned device called a 'telephone' which allows me to make and receive, er, telephone calls. I also have a new-fangled device called a "BT hub" into which I plug my computers and this is connected via a strange thing called an "ADSL filter" to my telephone wire. One of my computers is probably as old as the telephone, but it still works and runs the old Microsoft Office programs that I want it to. I don't use it to access the interweb.

I also have a few cameras. One belonged to my late father, he bought it the year before I was born. Wasn't a top-notch device then and isn't now but it does take nice pix, 16 exposures on a 120 roll. We used to load it with Ilford FP4.

I've seen various cheapo digital cameras on amazon, I guess you're right about the ones from the big names being adequate for the intended usage so I'll check 'em out.

Where are you based? If in Cambridgeshire I can lend you one of mine.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    My old man rents out a few properties and shoots a video walkaround with the new tenants rather than taking photos. Seems to cover both parties and you also get a record of any coversation/discussions that can easily be referred back to.

Tenant - "I think the front room carpet was already torn when we moved in"

Landlord - "No, it wasn't. And here's the video with our discussion about the carpets to prove it"

He's never had any problems.

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

@ThePrettyDamned That's kind of you. I'm in Suffolk, moving to Herefordshire (where pix are to be taken).  'Tis probably easier to spend a few tens of quid and get my own though.

One thing has just occurred to me - getting the pix out of the camera into a computer where they can be viewed or distributed. How do they do it, and do they expect you to have a Windows machine (I don't)?

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11410
    @ThePrettyDamned That's kind of you. I'm in Suffolk, moving to Herefordshire (where pix are to be taken).  'Tis probably easier to spend a few tens of quid and get my own though.

One thing has just occurred to me - getting the pix out of the camera into a computer where they can be viewed or distributed. How do they do it, and do they expect you to have a Windows machine (I don't)?

Most cameras will store on an SD card.  You might need to buy a card as well as a camera if you don't have a card knocking around.

If you don't have an SD card reader built into your computer then you can get a USB one.  Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker®-Reader-RS-MMC-Support-Warranty/dp/B00LFIXC8I/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1531476831&amp;sr=1-5&amp;keywords=sd+card+reader

If you are not on Windoze, then I'm guessing you are on Linux.   I'm not an expert on Linux, but I would have thought most card readers will work with it.  They are essentially plug and play devices.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    If you can't get the camera to work with your particular PC set up then places like Boots have machines in store that allow you to plug in a digital camera or memory card and get physical prints back.
    @crunchman fanx! One of the questions about that Anker device was "Will it work with Linux" which got the answer "Yes it works with my Raspberry Pi"
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    Are any of your computers laptops/tablets with built-in camera functionality, even if just for video conference type stuff? Probably not, given what you've said above, but it's a "camera" that often gets overlooked (and not in the cryptic crossword sense).
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    LOL, everybody's phone plugs into the wall. How else would you recharge it?
  • Someone gave me a lol because I said my phone plugs in the wall. What's so funny about that?
    LOL, everybody's phone plugs into the wall. How else would you recharge it?
    Mine doesn’t plug in to charge