Angled/Angled cable for lead use not patch?

What's Hot
JoolsJools Frets: 22
edited July 2018 in Guitar
Hi everyone

I use a few small modelling ‘amps’ for quiet evening use in the lounge a TH5, Digitech RP12 and about to get a GT1 or Zoom G3xn. I prefer to use a right angled cable as I have the TH5 raised up and the pedal board is often up against something, so using a straight jack has it’s problems.

I now have a semi-acoustic with a top mounted jack socket, so would prefer to use a right angle jack on this too. So have been looking for a cable with two right angle jacks. But all I find is patch cables. After doing a bit of reading my understanding is these are basically the same unless the jack is the pancake flavour jacks which have smaller diameter cable… is this right?

So could I use a patch cable like this one https://www.roland.com/us/products/ric-bpc/ but maybe not this actual one as it’s spiral wound, which isn’t the best… right?

Some of my current understanding is from reading stuff like this http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/pedal-board-patch.html which seems a useful resource but from a manufacturer so maybe biased but I don’t have the knowledge to tell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyone use angled/angled cables from their guitar to an amp, are these longer patch cables or can you get a lead cable with angles on both ends… or am I about to join the Mr Maker cable creator club?

Cheers
Jools

PS couldn't decide if this should go in Guitar, FX or Amp but it's about cables which is always between at least two of these, but this is about the Guitar end so guessed here, sorry if not right.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I've never seen a commercial guitar cable with two right-angled ends, so unless you can find a custom supplier who will do one then you're going to be in the Mr. Maker club!

I also prefer right-angle at the guitar end for anything other than a Strat and often think it would be useful at the amp/pedal end too, so I have been tempted to do the same...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    If you're not a cable DIYer then there are places that'd make up cables to suit.

Years back I got some from Award session, and they're still going strong.

Scroll down to "angled jack to angled jack":
    https://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html#instrument-cables

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Award Session make their brand of Cleartone cables with Van Damme cable and any type of plug at either end and any length you need.
    I have used them for over 10 years now and they sound fabulous and the quality is great.
    They are very quick to deliver too at a really great price.
    I also use right angle jacks at each end.
    I can't recommend them highly enough.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I use 2 angled cables for guitar to pedal board, board to amp. 
    I went to Designacable and got some very nice leads made with silent jacks on them as well. Highly recommended 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    As above, Award-Session will do them.  I've got 2 or 3 of their cables, and we've ordered a bunch for our church as well.  Well made and good value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    Designacable will do what you want. They sell direct on their website and also hold some stock on amazon.

You can make your own cheaper but unless you're going to make lots its not worth the hassle IMO. 
  • JoolsJools Frets: 22
    Ok, well thanks for the quick replies and it seems the way to go is some custom made cables... I would love to have a go a making some but I say that about almost everything but have little time to even practice let alone make all the things I'd believe I could... (master of the half complete project)

Will check out both Award Session and Designacable.

Thanks folks 【ツ】

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    Planet Waves do 90 deg. to 90 deg. guitar cables. Amazon have them.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Here it is...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AQBT4NM/ref=twister_B0094BB4D8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I want one of these too, I already have a couple of the straight to right 10ft version and they're brilliant.

Thanks Andy, I did search Amazon, how did I miss it, bit more expensive than an Award Session but was looking at their 2m version, but I guess my consumer lust is appeased with next day delivery and if i use smile.amazon.co.uk some cash goes to charity, so a win win!

I think I will get an Award Session too and compare, if I can fiddle the books this month.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Jools said:
    Thanks Andy, I did search Amazon, how did I miss it, bit more expensive than an Award Session but was looking at their 2m version, but I guess my consumer lust is appeased with next day delivery and if i use smile.amazon.co.uk some cash goes to charity, so a win win!

I think I will get an Award Session too and compare, if I can fiddle the books this month.
    I think you will be very pleased with the Cleartone cables from Award-Session. I've tried seriously high end cables over the years but can't get past these. They don't tangle either!

I use a silent jack at the guitar end and it works flawlessly.
    Good luck!

Thanks TA22GT, I've ordered both, and I chose the silient end option for the cleartone, seems like a nice feature.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Paging @ICBM Someone’s planning to buy a Planet Waves cable. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414

mart said:
    Those right angled jacks look better than the moulded straight jacks they have.  Still wouldn't risk buying one though.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    mart said:
    And a silent jack too, we’re going to get some good wisdom on cable failures with both barrels  ;)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    As much as I like the idea of them, I've had three of the right angled Neutrik silent plugs simply fall apart.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    if you solder (or have a friend or relative who does) maybe just buy a basic decent angled jack + angled jack patch cable for £5 and swap the jacks over with those on the lead you are using. £25 seems a lot.

obviously you can buy jacks singly but in my experience it's actually cheaper to buy a patch & repurpose. demand keeps prices of patches pretty keen at amazon etc. single jacks less so.

anyway, an idea.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    any good?

"Right angle to right angle with Neutrik ends, black/blue braided. Limited use, excellent condition. £10"

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/66105/fs-books-leads-straps#latest
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    BigMonka said:
    mart said:
    And a silent jack too, we’re going to get some good wisdom on cable failures with both barrels  ;)
    To be fair, I haven't seen as many recently, although plenty in the past.

Fender Custom Shop have taken the top spot for failure now...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    I've got both the straight and angled silent Neutriks.  The angled one isn't as good.  Can be intermittent on some guitars, I think partly the weight of it at that angle can cause it to lever sideways and losen the contact with the tip or sleeve.  Might also be a bit of metric 6.3mm vs imperial 1/4" tolerance on some jacks.