LP tweaks

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4671
Well, probably more than a tweak but hey.

My LP's intonation is a bit adrift in that all the strings are in tune, both open and at the 12th fret, but sharp on every other fret in between, and iffy above the 12th.  The high strings are worse than the lower ones, but the pattern is consistent.

I'd like to try and sort this out myself but am not really sure where to start.  Maybe I shoud just get in the car and go to Croydon....

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Is it in tune at the 12th fretted or harmonic?

It's likely a combination of: Nut, relief, fret crowning (but unlikely tbh), string tension (which is a combination of the aforementioned anyway) and saddle position. 

The only real way to crack it is to go down the route of a proper set up - frets levelled and crowned, nut & saddle depth & shape, relief, string height, and then intonation adjust. 

I've had moments of despair with intonation in the past where it's been all over the shop, only to realise the nut was a shambles..
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    The nut cut too high can really throw it out when you fret a note. Worth looking at that and neck relief before you take it anywhere.
    TA22GT said:
    The nut cut too high can really throw it out when you fret a note. Worth looking at that and neck relief before you take it anywhere.
    Yep - I reckon nearly all intonation issues I've had on mine have been nut cut. I can see relief doing the same tho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546

eliminate the nut from the equation.   Get the guitar so its in tune with a capo on the 1st fret

If that works, the nut definitely needs work. If it doesn't, the issue will be somewhere else.  Most times it just needs to be slotted properly.  If you are really unlucky it will be in the wrong position

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:

eliminate the nut from the equation.   Get the guitar so its in tune with a capo on the 1st fret

If that works, the nut definitely needs work. If it doesn't, the issue will be somewhere else.  Most times it just needs to be slotted properly.  If you are really unlucky it will be in the wrong position

Good call. You can check relief whilst you have your capo on the 1st fret and combine jobs ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959

fret crowning (but unlikely tbh)
    Not at all unlikely. Modern Gibsons are notorious for poorly-finished, quite flat-topped frets - left too 'square' and not polished properly.

But I would agree that checking the nut height and relief is the first place to start if the frets aren't really obviously badly dressed. (As they often are after less professional fret work.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    E A R V A N A .............

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    tFB Trader
    E A R V A N A .............
    I second that ... the most 'in tune' guitar I own is our Feline pickup demo guitar with the Earvana nut. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    edited July 2018
    Tried the capo on the first fret and the intonation is much better - not perfect - but an awful lot.  I guess Croydon calls next week then.

FWIW, I can't check the neck relief as that kind of detailed vision is long departed.
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    rlw said:
    Tried the capo on the first fret and the intonation is much better - not perfect - but an awful lot.  I guess Croydon calls next week then.

FWIW, I can't check the neck relief as that kind of detailed vision is long departed.
    Great news! You will most likely get away with the nut being cut correctly which is a straight forward job.
    Good luck.
    rlw said:

Yep - croydon and an earvana nut for you.

Your intonation will be utterly spot on. 

ICBM said:

fret crowning (but unlikely tbh)
    Not at all unlikely. Modern Gibsons are notorious for poorly-finished, quite flat-topped frets - left too 'square' and not polished properly.

But I would agree that checking the nut height and relief is the first place to start if the frets aren't really obviously badly dressed. (As they often are after less professional fret work.)
    I know what you are saying, I just thought that nut or relief more likely first off. 

Having said that, I've seen Les Pauls in shops with frets like railway sleepers..
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    Get it in tune and fret the 1st fret strings, that'll tell you if they're sharp too which is the nut slots too high
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Funnily enough I need to drop a mim tele into Feline which I have intonation issues with.. I’m hoping a set up will fix it... but I’m not holding my breath.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    Get it in tune and fret the 1st fret strings, that'll tell you if they're sharp too which is the nut slots too high
    1st fret is soooo out of tune.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    rlw said:
    This is really common and I'd say you need it set up, relief effects this too 

Put a capo on the first hold down the 16th and see how much relief you have, this is a personal thing, i like a fairly straight neck with hardly any relief, i think les pauls play better this way, you should have a tiny gap at the 7th

This is a general opinion, if you don't know what you're doing take it to have it looked at
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    rlw said:
    This is really common and I'd say you need it set up, relief effects this too 

Put a capo on the first hold down the 16th and see how much relief you have, this is a personal thing, i like a fairly straight neck with hardly any relief, i think les pauls play better this way, you should have a tiny gap at the 7th

This is a general opinion, if you don't know what you're doing take it to have it looked at
    I can't check the neck relief as I simply cannot focus that closely but I will drop in into Feline next week, given the strong probability that the nut is rubbish.

As an aside, how much of this might be heat related as I've never noticed it being so bad before?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    We will always health check it for free Rich, and will only do what is needed to get it all ok . 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Heat can certainly affect relief and setup - but I’d be surprised if it’s such a difference as you describe 
    We will always health check it for free Rich, and will only do what is needed to get it all ok . 
    I know that, don't worry.  As I have said before, in contrast to the cost of fettling a 911GT3 (now long gone for that very reason), sorting out guitars is always pleasantly affordable.........................................
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom