Equal Pay - Wimbledon

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14166
in Off Topic tFB Trader
Men's semi final today and over 6 hours long !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That is one match - Some women barely make 6 hours for 6 matches - If you translate prize money to time on the the court then men earn less then women - And you name 3 women today who are in the top 10
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27965
    guitars4you said:

If you translate prize money to time on the the court 
    Why would you do that? That'd ignore time spent training, skill level, and everything else.

You might as well price guitars by scale length. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14166
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    guitars4you said:

Why would you do that? That'd ignore time spent training, skill level, and everything else.

women's tennis has been struggling for years now - Very little longevity now amongst the top seeds - yet for years they have moaned about equal prize money - they only play 3 sets and many matches don't last 70 mins - IMO a mockery 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Do people really want to sit for six hours watching one match?

There'd better be at-seat Pimms deliveries. And free catheterization at entry. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    Simple. Make men's matches three sets max. The injury and attrition rate in men's tennis is horrific. They play too much tennis.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15482
    I hate it when tradesmen go over time, there needs to be an industry standard set for matches, and every minute they go over they get money deducted. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    There's a few calling for the men to only do three sets but I hope that never happens. These are grand slams - the pinnacles of the circuit - and going that extra mile has produced some of the greatest moments in sport. In principle, the women should either play best of five or get 60-70% of the men's prize money. However, in reality, no one wants to watch five sets of women's tennis and the tournament directors know they wouldn't survive the firestorm if they introduced proportional pay (it's worth noting that the women often make more money by being 'rested' enough to enter the Doubles & Mixed Doubles - Serena Williams has 14 GS doubles titles which, I think, is 14 more than Federer, Nadal, Djokovik and Murray combined).
    fob said:
     no one wants to watch five sets of women's tennis 
    I'm amazed that anyone wants to watch other people playing games at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    fob said:
    There's a few calling for the men to only do three sets but I hope that never happens. These are grand slams - the pinnacles of the circuit - and going that extra mile has produced some of the greatest moments in sport. In principle, the women should either play best of five or get 60-70% of the men's prize money. However, in reality, no one wants to watch five sets of women's tennis and the tournament directors know they wouldn't survive the firestorm if they introduced proportional pay (it's worth noting that the women often make more money by being 'rested' enough to enter the Doubles & Mixed Doubles - Serena Williams has 14 GS doubles titles which, I think, is 14 more than Federer, Nadal, Djokovik and Murray combined).

The tennis schedules are ridiculous. if five set men's tennis is to be retained, then the tournament schedules have to be cut back in order to allow players to rest. This is unlikely to happen so three set matches are the way forward for me.

Five set men's tournaments don't have the same zap when you have large numbers of top players out injured.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited July 2018
    True equality would be men and women competing for the same prize money in the same tournament. Whether it is tennis, football, rugby, or MotoGP. 

That is unlikely, so I guess same prize money is OK, but it is to the advantage of women.
    quarky said:
    True equality would be men and women competing for the same prize money in the same tournament. Whether it is tennis, football, rugby, or MotoGP. 

That is unlikely, so I guess same prize money is OK, but it is to the advantage of women.
    Wouldn't true equality also involve the blind, the deaf, and the disabled? 

True equality is, it seems, whatever enables a person to best prove their point. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    fob said:
    This is probably a joke/reference that I'm not getting but, if not, I'm surprised you're amazed. Watching the greatest (or just incredibly competent) exponents of anything is one of life's pleasures, be they tennis players, footballers, chess masters, guitarists, woodworkers etc. You get the point. I do draw the line at golf though.

Five set men's tournaments don't have the same zap when you have large numbers of top players out injured. 
    I'd agree that tennis is one of the most physically punishing sports anyone could do but I don't really remember many GS tournaments being short of the top talent - even limiting it to the big four, you usually have at least three. In fact, I think the current debate is about how those outside those four can break in - the longevity of the top players is fairly incredible, especially considering the staggering talent lined up behind them.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Sporky said:
    Do people really want to sit for six hours watching one match?

(..Wait until he hears about cricket)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Tennis is one of the sports actually in the position to push for and achieve equal pay for men and women. 

There is an established audience for the women's game also it can be held at the same event time period and location as the men's game.

Many other sports won't ever have that setup, so it will take a longer time to build the audiences to support equal pay.  It'll be a long time until the players in the female football leagues in the UK earn anywhere near what men can earn.
    fob said:
    Sporky said:
    fob said:
    This is probably a joke/reference that I'm not getting
    Not at all. I'm not much for spectating. It's more fun, to me,  to do something than watch someone else do it, no matter how much better they are at it than me.

Watching is boring and passive. Doing is awesome. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22689
    So if, say, Nadal breezes through all his matches in straight sets should he get paid less than Isner and Anderson?
  • Sporky said:
    True equality is, it seems, whatever enables a person to best prove their point. 

My girlfriend's step dad said something that really resonated with me. 

"equality is always unfair". 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Sporky said:
    guitars4you said:

Surely it would be like pricing guitars by solo length during a concert?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    Sporky said:
    guitars4you said:

Surely it would be like pricing guitars by solo length during a concert?
    It's more like paying the performer for how long they play.  If they play an hour and half, you are more willing to pay more than if they only play an hour.

There is also the quality to consider.  If you did put Serena Williams up against any of the top men, they would blow her away in straight sets.

I don't know why I'm even replying to this thread.  Tennis is boring these days, and I haven't watched Wimbledon at all.  I'm just annoyed that tennis is on BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time, and they have taken Pointless off.
    Sporky said:
    <snip>
    Not at all. I'm not much for spectating. It's more fun, to me,  to do something than watch someone else do it, no matter how much better they are at it than me.

Watching is boring and passive. Doing is awesome. 
    I'm with you on 'doing is awesome' but not with watching is boring/passive. Do you not watch any sport? Do you play any? It's probably safe to assume you play guitar but do you not go to gigs (or listen to other's music)? Have any art on your walls that you haven't painted yourself? I'd encourage anyone to get hands-on with anything that interests them as much as they can but experiencing the talent of others is very often exciting and involving.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom