Latest FRFR options for modellers

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    crunchman said:
    DXR10 does handle bass nicely. It's not quite as full as a proper bass cab as a stand alone, but then again at gigs with a Helix you'd be mad not to be running into the PA as well - so it would be your on stage monitor.

One thing I do notice when using it for bass - it likes a HOT signal to get the thump going. So run the Helix at as high a volume as you can cope with, and then lower the volume on the DXR itself. Makes a big difference

It's good to know that this works for bass.  I'm thinking of getting one (or maybe a pair) of these for my Kemper, but it will make me quite a lot of space if I can get rid of a bass amp I only use 2 or 3 times a year.
    Been using my QSC k10.2 with the band for bass duties for a while now and it’s bloody excellent. 

Wireless -> Pedaltrain Nano with tuner and Preamp/DI -> QSCk10.2 via DI -> FOH via DI pass through. 

I can carry the whole rig plus plus a bass in one trip. Bloody brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nobody plays bass here @Bridgehouse, can you behave please.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nobody plays bass here @Bridgehouse, can you behave please.
    Racist.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    (Before the snowflakes crawl out, I was joking. But some of the most respected people on here are bassists.. oh, and @ICBM too....)

;)
  • (Before the snowflakes crawl out, I was joking. But some of the most respected people on here are bassists.. oh, and @ICBM too....)

;)
    Ah I'm only joking mate. Top respect for you fellas. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    (Before the snowflakes crawl out, I was joking. But some of the most respected people on here are bassists.. oh, and @ICBM too....)

;)
    Ah I'm only joking mate. Top respect for you fellas. 
    I know, right.. we get away with calling ourselves musicians and everything
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited July 2018
    I had an AX8 / CLR combo (80hz and around 6K cut) and now have an AA6 / QSC K8.2 (120hz and 3.5K) and for me it sounds better than before, go figure.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16014
    Mission is by far the best 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    So what is the best FRFR?
    - sub £300
    - over £300

....for the atomic amplifire?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    “Best” is a relative term. What are your criteria? Price, sound, weight, floor vs stand mounted, home vs gig, power handling, supplier support?

I use a Matrix Q12. It was secondhand. It has square sides, so I can treat it like a combo on a guitar stand, or I can pole mount it. Both work for me, but I can’t put it on the floor like an angled monitor. It’s loud enough to compete with a 100w Marshall. When the switch broke I rang Robin at Matrix and he sent me a replacement that day free of charge.

Does it have 50hz to 20khz response? I hope not because live I kill everything below 250hz and above 3,500.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    Is it not the done thing around here to buy DXR10s for £470 from Thomann? 
    revsorg said:
    Is it not the done thing around here to buy DXR10s for £470 from Thomann? 
    Heathen. 

QSC k10.2 - much better ;)
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Roland said:

Does it have 50hz to 20khz response? I hope not because live I kill everything below 250hz and above 3,500.
    Blimey, they’re some aggressive cuts! Does that sound any good? I’d imagine there’s lots of your guitar you’re not hearing... open B string in standard tuning is 247Hz for example.

• HushHush Frets: 21
    Was thinking about getting the Helix floor, and chatting with my band mate, who is one of the people who road test Line 6 equipment prior to them coming to the market place. Anyway digressing a bit there. he said you can use the Helix with normal amp cabs as well. You just have to adjust the unit to do so.  So if so, why bother buying a new FRFR you can use a guitar cab, you may already have?

Hush said:
    Was thinking about getting the Helix floor, and chatting with my band mate, who is one of the people who road test Line 6 equipment prior to them coming to the market place. Anyway digressing a bit there. he said you can use the Helix with normal amp cabs as well. You just have to adjust the unit to do so.  So if so, why bother buying a new FRFR you can use a guitar cab, you may already have?

How?! There’s no built in power amp?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    Hush said:

Well, the Helix wont work this way but that aside...

You can use 'real' guitar cabs for modelling; they just don't have the range of the FRFR units. However, many still do use em and I have found that my Zilla 1x12 (Neo Creamback) works well...

You just lose the variation between some amp models as the cab 'colours' the sound.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    What about the JBL EON610? I see people recommending those for use with modellers and they are quite a bit cheaper and lighter than the DXR10.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 831
    Ive always used an amp and real cab, even at home most of the time with my AFX rig - I do have some Adam a5xs  with a Yam sub as well which I use at times, but its mostly amp/cab (currently a Fryette Power station into a Zilla 2x12).

I am however thinking of a FRFR/PA cab - not least as Im playing piano/keys now as well, and live Id need some monitoring at least, if not backline (depending what can go through the main PA).  Im not in a band with keys at present, but want to be ready for when I do.

I do like the QSC K series - and was contemplating the 12.  Is the 10 worth a look?  If it was just the AFX, the 10 would be OK - but Im thinking for the keys side as well.

Ive always used an amp and real cab, even at home most of the time with my AFX rig - I do have some Adam a5xs  with a Yam sub as well which I use at times, but its mostly amp/cab (currently a Fryette Power station into a Zilla 2x12).

I am however thinking of a FRFR/PA cab - not least as Im playing piano/keys now as well, and live Id need some monitoring at least, if not backline (depending what can go through the main PA).  Im not in a band with keys at present, but want to be ready for when I do.

I do like the QSC K series - and was contemplating the 12.  Is the 10 worth a look?  If it was just the AFX, the 10 would be OK - but Im thinking for the keys side as well.

@horse uses a k10 with keys.. I use one with bass.. 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563

@horse uses a k10 with keys.. I use one with bass.. 
     K10 is great for piano & organ and goes loud enough for everything we've done rehearsal and live monitoring (with keys through FOH too). I think you'd only need the 12 if you wanted crazy deep synth bass tones perhaps.

Its always a bit of a gamble until you have it up loud in the room, but the sound quality, volume, size and weight all work well for me.

Don't know whether a dxr10 would have been as good for cheaper or not, or even a pair of the electro voices running in stereo.