Angled/Angled cable for lead use not patch?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited July 2018
    I don't trust the silent jacks.  I've had problems with them cutting out.  Can just step on the tuner pedal to mute - much more reliable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited July 2018
    The manager in what used to be R&B in Aberdeen (now Kenny’s) recommend the American Stage cables when I was first starting out playing in 2015 and they’ve been flawless. I have 5 or 6 now and they’re rock solid, don’t tangle and are very well made. They’re not moulded on and just seem very good quality. My guitar tutor bought one of the ones with the switch on the plug and it broke within a month. I’ve got nothing but huge praise for the ones I have though. Ok, they’re not gigged or dragged around etc, but they are still good as new 3.5 years later. The in-store Tech in GG in Glasgow recommended them too.

So I went ahead and ordered the right to right one I linked above yesterday. Should’ve bought one ages ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    ICBM said:
    BigMonka said:
    mart said:
    Paging @ICBM Someone’s planning to buy a Planet Waves cable. :)
    And a silent jack too, we’re going to get some good wisdom on cable failures with both barrels  ;)
    To be fair, I haven't seen as many recently, although plenty in the past.

Fender Custom Shop have taken the top spot for failure now...
    Are the plugs now the right size so that they don’t bend back the tags in any socket you insert them in?
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    I have a different experience to most with silent jacks. 
     I have never had a problem at all in 10 years or so. My studio chair runs over the guitar cable to my board at least once every hour and not one single problem even when I run over the jack!
    We all vary.

@andyp ;  Ivor's a good guy!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    mart said:

Are the plugs now the right size so that they don’t bend back the tags in any socket you insert them in?
    I think so. I certainly haven't seen that problem for a long time, nor the plugs jammed in a socket.

I think they must have changed them - the problems the older ones caused, and the huge number of failures, can't have gone unnoticed. I'm still not sure I would trust them though, given they got it so wrong originally. I also just don't like any cables with moulded-on plugs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited July 2018
    ICBM said:
    BigMonka said:
    mart said:
    Paging @ICBM Someone’s planning to buy a Planet Waves cable.
    And a silent jack too, we’re going to get some good wisdom on cable failures with both barrels 
    To be fair, I haven't seen as many recently, although plenty in the past.

I've had three Fender custom shop cables fail on me, always the vintage tweed ones, I'd steer well clear of them. I now use Lava vintage tweed cables, hard to get hold of but very good cables.

Edit: I've just done a search and it seems the Lava vintage cables are now more readily available but are much more expensive than what I payed, still very good though.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    zepp76 said:
    ICBM said:

I've had three Fender custom shop cables fail on me, always the vintage tweed ones, I'd steer well clear of them.
    A customer of mine had six of them - five failed. The problem is the jacks, which are total crap - the cable itself is actually very nice quality.

The other problem is that the cable is very fat, and is extremely difficult to get into a Neutrik plug, although it can be done if you're determined enough...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FezFez Frets: 522
    I haven't bought any more of the F CS cables since I had one that failed.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    TA22GT said:

@andyp ;  Ivor's a good guy!
    That’s him, he sure is.
  • TeeByrdTeeByrd Frets: 159
    I’ve started replacing all my old Vovox cable with these and couldn’t be happier. Really clear sounding cables, don’t tangle, cool colours and a choice of angled/angled, straight/straight or angled/straight 
    https://www.winspearinstrumental.com/products/cable
  • JoolsJools Frets: 22
    Appears I have or haven't made the wrong choice completely, however my playing is pretty timid and limited to the spare room, but allowed into the loungs on occassions. So failures may just be restricted to my musical abilities, no change there!

Out of interest was is the general cause of all these failures, I can solder, but usually on PCBs? Now looking at my fender cables less favourably. 
    Jools said:
    Appears I have or haven't made the wrong choice completely, however my playing is pretty timid and limited to the spare room, but allowed into the loungs on occassions. So failures may just be restricted to my musical abilities, no change there!

Out of interest was is the general cause of all these failures, I can solder, but usually on PCBs? Now looking at my fender cables less favourably. 
    The Fender cables fail because the jacks are the worst cheap crap. The cable itself is actually very nice quality.

The Planet Waves cables I've seen in the past which have failed appear to have broken within the length of the cable, although since they have moulded plugs it's hard to be completely certain other than by cutting them off and checking the cable - which I've only done a couple of times, and both times it was the cable.

(That's ignoring the jack damage that the oversized plugs and the daft sprung 'concertina' thing on the shaft caused.)

The 'silent plugs' fail in the switch mechanism. It's a great idea in theory but in practice is difficult to make reliable.

• TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    I wouldn't worry Jools!

I think you will love the Cleartone cables and mine get very heavy use.
    @ICBM I see, the PW cable I got has metal plugs that are threaded so you can remove the case and inspect the connection, maybe this is a revised style? The cable itself looks pretty robust casing, although narrower than my whirlwinds. Fingers crossed  :#

@TA22GT Sessions don't quite deliver like Amazon so will have to wait and see...

Thanks all
    Jools
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited July 2018
    TeeByrd said:
    I’ve started replacing all my old Vovox cable with these and couldn’t be happier. Really clear sounding cables, don’t tangle, cool colours and a choice of angled/angled, straight/straight or angled/straight 
    https://www.winspearinstrumental.com/products/cable
    These cables are the best out there! They offer the lowest capacitance in a cable that i have seen. 15.8/ft!!! lifetime warranty 
    @dean111music ; @TeeByrd I did take a look at these but starting from £51 they are out of my budget and I probably wouldn't appreciate the quality, but they do look impressive.
  • docbakerdocbaker Frets: 30
    Depending on the length, then Pete Cornish might be an alternative, he can fit angle connectors at no extra charge, of course he is quite pricey to start with, but the quality is there
    -site:amazon.co.uk -site:ebay.co.uk... ditto for .com, the most powerful internet search filters
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited July 2018
    I have a coiled Vox cable with a straight jack one end and angled the other.  I use straight end on my Strats and Telecaster, but angled end on all my other guitars. Its an excellent cable by the way, with very good quality cable and jack plugs.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)