Gigabit internet

What's Hot
FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
CityFibre/Vodafone are about to install 'fibre to the home' on my street - it will probably be too expensive for me to be an early adopter, but the nerd in me finds it quite appealing.

Anybody actually have this (at home) already? Or would you if it was available?

They are not revealing pricing yet as far as I can see, but other operators are charging about £50/month rising to £60+ after a year for the full speed option.
Trading feedback: Trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28119
    For me I don't see the point - we have 164Mbps down and 10Mbps up and that's plenty. I s'pose if theres lots of you it might make a difference. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    I have fibre to the home. Currently running at 79Mb, I could get 300Mbit but my internal network (wifi and power line barely reaches 60Mb and even with the 3 if us streaming/playing there are no issues. However ping times are better compared to copper.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33792
    edited July 2018
    We have it here in Singapore- most people do0- you can even get 10GB/s connections for about £70 a month.
    It is great if you are downloading multiple files, but gigabit only really works if everything along the supply chain is gigabit, which it won't be.

I can get crazy fast speedtests, but once I start downloading (let's say a movie) it isn't massive quicker than my old 80Mb/s connection I had in the UK.
    Don't get jee wrong, it is pretty excellent but it isn't essential.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom