Malaysia tomorrow!

What's Hot
joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
Visiting (or working in...) 
Kuala Lumpur, Johor and Penang

Anyone know any good guitar shops /bars /toy stores? 

Any food I must try? 

Thx bbz

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Guitar shopping isn't great there, there are a few shops, but not much that is very interesting.

In terms of food, make sure you have a good Banana Leaf Curry before you leave.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    Ceriatone.. ...? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Guitar shopping isn't great there, there are a few shops, but not much that is very interesting.

Thanks, will defo do that!

Shame about the guitar stores.  Ceriatone is a good shout, but it isn't a drop in. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    joeyowen said:

Ceriatone is a good shout, but it isn't a drop in. 
    True, but Nik is a cool guy, send him an email and see if he'll let you have a look round. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    isn't it the forest burning season?? If so - don't go outside without a respirator
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    isn't it the forest burning season?? If so - don't go outside without a respirator

I think that is usually January - March and mostly affects Indonesia. The weather is dryer then and makes burning easier. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I'm replying to this at 33000ft.  Just because I can!

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2018
    Penang Assam Laksa is the local speciality dish.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • alalalkasaralalalkasar Frets: 362
    Nasi lemak every day
  • A lot of the time you'll find better food from the hawker stalls rather than restaurants. In KL, try Jalan Alor for food. There are a lot of tourists but its easy to get something good. In Johor, I presume you'll be staying in Johor Bahru, which is a bit bleak. It should be easy to pop across the causeway into Singapore in your downtime, which I'd strongly suggest.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    A lot of the time you'll find better food from the hawker stalls rather than restaurants. In KL, try Jalan Alor for food. There are a lot of tourists but its easy to get something good. In Johor, I presume you'll be staying in Johor Bahru, which is a bit bleak. It should be easy to pop across the causeway into Singapore in your downtime, which I'd strongly suggest.
    @joeyown If you make it to Singapore then let me know.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    I remember noticing what looked like a decent guitar shop near the KL Tower.  Drove past it in a taxi and wished I could have had a look around.  This was 2003 mind...
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    Try and get to Langkawi...........it's an island but the best part of Malaysia
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2018
    A lot of the time you'll find better food from the hawker stalls rather than restaurants. In KL, try Jalan Alor for food. There are a lot of tourists but its easy to get something good. In Johor, I presume you'll be staying in Johor Bahru, which is a bit bleak. It should be easy to pop across the causeway into Singapore in your downtime, which I'd strongly suggest.
    You can get great curry in Johor Bahru near the Indian temple.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.