Laptop Advice

What's Hot
I need a new computer. Mine is dying a slow and painful death and I'm trying to run my business on it. 

Only issue is I need it for general business, video and music editing (currently using Reaper, with a Scarlet 8i6 interface) and for graphic design elements. 

Everything above points to a Macbook, but I definitely can't afford a new one. 

I need at least 500gb of storage and 8gb of ram and I hate the way windows machines just degrade because of all the crappy update guff. Budget of up to about £300 which puts me in the second hand market. There appear to be quite a few refurbished macbook machines about in that price range, and some fairly decent spec windows machines. 

My desktop runs Linux, but that presents problems with audio software as there isn't a lot about and ideally I'd port my Reaper licence over. 

I'm very out of tough with processors and graphics cards. 

Someone who knows their onions (or apples!) kindly point me in the right direction. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited July 2018
    I bought a used Lenovo W450 for that price. Did lots of research and they are the quietest, toughest unsexy laptops for the price. Non hd screens on the base model are not great but ok. SSD is an option but still surprisingly quiet anyway due to the low wattage U series cpus. Will run Reaper without a hitch.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    @Legionreturns ;

I've got just the answer for you - my MacBook Pro: 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133742/fs-apple-macbook-pro-15-retina-995?new=1

I know it's a bit more than you want to spend, but this is worth considering. If you can last 3 weeks until the tFB shindig ...
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    fandango said:
    @Legionreturns ;

I've got just the answer for you - my MacBook Pro: 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133742/fs-apple-macbook-pro-15-retina-995?new=1

I know it's a bit more than you want to spend, but this is worth considering. If you can last 3 weeks until the tFB shindig ...
    It's at least 3 times what I can afford, and if I wait til the jam I'll have no money...got a shit load of invoicing to do!"

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    You don't need 500gb of storage. An external drive will get you by for most stuff. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    ...I hate the way windows machines just degrade because of all the crappy update guff...
    I know you are sorted with a Windows laptop now so maybe not relevant, but I'd honestly say this isn't a problem for Windows as much as people make it out to be.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom