UPDATE! -. My first guitar had come up for sale...

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3013
    wolsnah said:
    Looking forward to the update and finding out what your thoughts are on it once it's back in your hands. Will it be a sentimental keeper or will there be a sobering truth to it? Hopefully the former and you can have the love affair and honeymoon all over again.
    It will certainly be interesting. It is obviously a sentimental purchase but if I can get it up and running it'll be quite special to do some gigs with it. They were perfectly reasonable Japanese guitars, not the best, but playable and functional.

I need to dig out a photo of me playing it when I was 14 wearing some spectacularly bad 80s clothes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    edited July 2018
    My first guitar was an encore acoustic which I fell on whilst attempting to drunkenly remove my jeans one night and it didn't survive.  Second was a horrific black metally pointy thing someone gave me, traded that against an epiphone les paul special II, traded that for a g&l tele which was in hindsight plenty good enough but gas made me trade it.  I've traded/sold/destroyed 7 or 8 guitars.  Only miss the squier strat I recently sold where I had repainted and upgraded everything because I invested so much time in it.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    If I saw my original guitar cheap enough, I would buy it. It would be great for slicing boiled eggs by putting them between the neck and strings.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2285
    The first guitar I owned was a Kent. It really was! If I had it again now, I could make it a bit more playable, but why would I bother on a cheap plywood acoustic?

I do still have my first good guitar, a 1985 Japanese Squier Tele. I upgraded the bridge pickup to a Smit, and recently had the frets dressed by @miserneil.

I don't regret parting with any of the guitars that I've moved on.
  • AnderzAnderz Frets: 30
    edited July 2018
    Well I had the option back in '90s to do it.

My very first black Applause stratocaster had arrived back in the local shop for sale at the same price I bought it for privately some years earlier. 

For old times sake I gave it a try and found I felt the same with it. Same reasons for just leaving it for someone else. I had moved on to better guitars at that point anyway.
    Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7754

My first guitar was a used Tele-shaped Kay, it was awful. - Wouldn't buy it.

My second was a new Les Paul-shaped Hondo, it wasn't much better. - Wouldn't buy it.

My third was a new 1983 US Telecaster in cherry sunburst, maple neck/board, white scratchplate. If I had the money I might well buy that one, it was lovely.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 134
    My first one was nothing special, but the second one I ever bought was a salmon pink Danelectro that I really wish I'd kept now! I only bought it as a kid because I wanted a pink guitar in a metal band but I'd get a lot of use out of it these days.

The only one I reeaallly regret is my first nice bass. Sold it in May this year after a long and hard struggle with myself, but told him if he ever wanted to get rid I'd have it back. Twat sold it on ebay four days later for 400 more than I let him have it without so much as a twitter to let me know he was putting it up. There's no helping some people.
  • looking forward to tacky 80s rock and roll pics...

It's Here!

And...

It's not 'mine'.   :/

But I don't actually care because it immediately felt like 'home' and I completely love it. 

It needed a damn good clean-up, new strings and a bit of a setup but it plays really nicely. Call me sentimental but it really does feel like getting an old friend back.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738

So it's the same model, same colour, but not your actual guitar?

I bought an old Hamer Special to try to "recreate" my first good guitar, a 1980 one I'd sort of butchered and fitted with a Kahler.  But when I actually got it the thrill was gone, it's a bit tatty, too heavy and the neck's too thin (which sounds a bit like I'm paraphrasing the lyrics of "Oh Well").

Philly_Q said:

I bought an old Hamer Special to try to "recreate" my first good guitar, a 1980 one I'd sort of butchered and fitted with a Kahler.  But when I actually got it the thrill was gone, it's a bit tatty, too heavy and the neck's too thin (which sounds a bit like I'm paraphrasing the lyrics of "Oh Well").

Yep, same model but not my original one. I could swear it was ''mine' from the photos as there is a dent in the front in the same place I had a dent in mine (caused by my mate dropping his stereo on it!) Slightly disappointing I suppose but I immediately feel at home with it and am pretty chuffed to have one again.

I don't know how many of these came into the country in the 80s but I doubt it was many in this spec and colour.  I've been keeping my eye out for one for at least 15 years and this is the first I've seen in all that time.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    It's not 'mine'.   :/

But I don't actually care because it immediately felt like 'home' and I completely love it. 

It needed a damn good clean-up, new strings and a bit of a setup but it plays really nicely. Call me sentimental but it really does feel like getting an old friend back.
    Philly_Q said:

Yep, same model but not my original one. I could swear it was ''mine' from the photos as there is a dent in the front in the same place I had a dent in mine (caused by my mate dropping his stereo on it!) Slightly disappointing I suppose but I immediately feel at home with it and am pretty chuffed to have one again.

I don't know how many of these came into the country in the 80s but I doubt it was many in this spec and colour.  I've been keeping my eye out for one for at least 15 years and this is the first I've seen in all that time.
    I feel the same about my Aria - it isn't actually my original one, which I had modded beyond restoration by the early 90s. I spent nearly twenty years looking for a replacement, and it turned out to be a very rare guitar. The one I have now, I had to scour the world (literally, it was in California) for - and it's so identical to my first one that I'm certain it's from the same production batch, because of the unique pattern of sizes and grain of wood pieces in the body. For all I know there was only one batch.

Apart from having a slightly less figured piece of wood for the neck than I remember my old one had, it's very easy to forget that it's actually a different guitar - it feels identical - and it's now 'my Aria'. This one will certainly not be going the same way as the first one...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Perhaps it's like Voldemort's and Harry's wands, made of the same wood/core and thus bonded by their materials. So even if it isn't your original one, it's got the same soul... 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    My first Guitar is probably in France somewhere its a 3/4 size Landola Parlour type guitar
    left there with an ex Girlfriend who seems impossible to trace so I gave up on it ..
  • That looks blinking fantastic :-) Love the colour - glad you got it, even if it's a relative of "yours" rather than The One. 

• 19791979 Frets: 87
    Well done @Flanging_Fred !  Glad you won it and you’re happy with it.
    My foolish decision to sell my Squier Telecaster Custom ii (with the P90’s) is one that still causes me upset. I even sanded a forearm contour onto it. Like an idiot I gave up the chance to buy it back off a guy on one of the Facebook groups. In desperation, I 
    have bought 2 of the same model that just weren’t ‘the one ‘ since. Oh I’d love it back 
  • AnderzAnderz Frets: 30
    Looking good indeed and congratz on finding it.
    Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Anderz said:
    Looking good indeed and congratz on finding it.
    Cheers.

Playing with it over the weekend two things occurred:

1 Mrs Fred commented that it sounded really good and sounded like a bell.  Interesting that a non musician would use a term that often gets used by guitar players to describe a nice guitar tone.

2. I started putting my right hand pinky on the face of the guitar when playing faster alternate picking passages. I haven't done that since I had the original one. That's some pretty ancient muscle memory at work there... Weird.