What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    Star Trek Beyond.

Interesting on IMDB the number of back references to other parts of the Star Trek franchise within it, even a reference to Spaced. Almost all of it had passed me by though. I just got a slightly shit film to watch. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11677
     Eraserhead (1977). 10/10 Excellent family entertainment with a major feel good factor. Highly recommended. 
    If anyone doubts it's family entertainment, tell them there's a baby in it!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    A Quiet Place (2018)
    Post apocalyptic monster movie.
    Fizzles out a bit as it goes along, but worth watching. 7/10
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Wind River: a little formulaic but well done - I liked it.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    Wind River: a little formulaic but well done - I liked it.
    Loved it. Proper rural masterpiece.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited July 2018
    'Gomorrah' (italian title 'Gomorra') 2008. based on the book-expose' of the same name.

i saw it when it came out & was blown away by it. really powerful film. the trailers probably just show the shoot outs but it's far more profound & ugly. it really gets under the skin of what the mafia really is as an organisation & what it means (& feels like) to be living your life in that environment.
    it's not sharp suits, or fine wine or wise guys singing 'volare', it's like mold or bacteria, creeping over eveything, poisoning everything, & rotting entire towns from the inside out.
    it's scary & sad. & sadder that many invloved are young, because they are easier to manipulate & often come from damaged & broken backgrounds where life is seen as cheap (theirs & others).

anyway, this appeared in the paper last week & it made me want to rewatch it. italy is in serious trouble if this is the shape of things to come there politically.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/21/matteo-salvini-threatens-to-remove-gomorrah-roberto-saviano-police-protection

as stunning, if not even more so, on rewatching. it deservedly won at cannes & all over on release. so if you haven't seen it i recommend it. heavy viewing but the price of authentic insight.

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    vale said:
    'Gomorrah' (italian title 'Gomorra') 2008. based on the book-expose' of the same name.

i saw it when it came out & was blown away by it. really powerful film. the trailers probably just show the shoot outs but it's far more profound & ugly. it really gets under the skin of what the mafia really is as an organisation & what it means (& feels like) to be living your life in that environment.
    it's not sharp suits, or fine wine or wise guys singing 'volare', it's like mold or bacteria, creeping over eveything, poisoning everything, & rotting entire towns from the inside out.
    it's scary & sad. & sadder that many invloved are young, because they are easier to manipulate & often come from damaged & broken backgrounds where life is seen as cheap (theirs & others).

anyway, this appeared in the paper last week & it made me want to rewatch it. italy is in serious trouble if this is the shape of things to come there politically.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/21/matteo-salvini-threatens-to-remove-gomorrah-roberto-saviano-police-protection

as stunning, if not even more so, on rewatching. it deservedly won at cannes & all over on release. so if you haven't seen it i recommend it. heavy viewing but the price of authentic insight.

Tv series is pretty good too.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    Nude Nuns With Big Guns. On the Horror channel last night.

The title was the best thing about it.  :s
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    The Happy Prince - Rupert Everett as a post-prison Oscar Wilde, poor, out-cast, homeless. Disappointingly small film of his twilight. It felt very self-indulgent and it was hard to like anyone. Contrast with Stephen Fry and Jude Law in the other Wilde movie. 6/10
  • Child's Play 2. Dreadful, as expected, but good silly fun and hilarious in places. 
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    iBoy 

A good low budget sci-fi film on Netflix. Much better than l expected it to be. A gritty home-grown little gem of a film. Definitely worth your time.

Back And Forth

Another one on Netflix. The story of the Foo Fighters. A great documentry that pulls no punches about the hard decisions that are often needed to ensure the success of a band. Essential viewing.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited July 2018
    Just back from seeing Adrift. It was okay. The woman in the lead role was very good but film was curiously uninvolving. The structure didn't help, past and present intercut, and I was wondering why they'd done it that way when, near the end, it all becomes apparent. The storm scenes were very good; cgi can really bring events such as this to life and the sound effects racked up the tension. It's based on real events and there's potentially a much more involving linear narrative film in there.
  • Fazer said:
    Some recent films:
    Thelma (2017) - Norwegian film, girl with psychic powers she doesn't know about, kept suppressed with religious fervour, confused by lesbian feelings at university, discovers about her family history, etc. Bit dull really: 4/10

The Untamed (2016) - Mexican film, strange alien sex tentacles kept in a cabin the woods by a couple of hippies, lovely cinematography. Pretty good will watch again: 6/10

Unsane (2018) - Steven Soderbergh film famously shot on iphones. Woman moved to new city to flee a stalker in her past ... I won't say anymore than that. The usual Soderbergh quirky angles and acting, this time really works. Recommended: 7/10

The Cured (2017) - Irish zombie film with Ellen Page, who seems to turn up in these low budget indies. After the zombie outbreak, "the cured" [of their zombie infection] are trying to reintegrate back into society, while the uncurable are still held in detention. You can guess the plot, nothing special: 4/10

Death Wish (2018) - Bruce Willis's big bald head. Violence. Doesn't really go anywhere, would rather rewatch Charles Bronson: 5/10

Game Night (2018) - comedy with a few known faces. It's ok, has it's moments. It wasn't the worst film ever: 5/10

12 Strong (2018) - based on true story of US Special Forces team deployed in Afghanistan after 9/11. Blah blah. I like Michael Shannon and he's in it, so I can cross it off the list of Michael Shannon films to watch. Mostly annoying: 3/10

Den Of Thieves (2018) - bank robbers and cops, lots of not very credible shooting etc. Don't bother: 3/10

Hostiles (2017) - Western with Christian Bale, who I like. Meditations on "hate" etc. I can't really remember much about it, except that I hated it: 1/10

You Were Never Really Here (2017) - Lynne Ramsay directs Joaquin Phoenix as a tramatised veteran who tracks down missing girls. High level conspiracies and brutal moments. I marked it at 5/10 but will rewatch it at some point.

All The Money In The World (2017) - Ridley Scott film about the 16yr old grandson Getty III kidnapped in Italy in the 1970s. It's the film that they reshot to remove all traces of Kevin Spacey, who had originally play J. P. Getty. It's interesting to see the recreation of 1970s Italy, but overall nothing special: 5/10

Veronica (2017) - Director of [REC], Spanish horror about teenage girl who accidently summons *something* while trying to contact the dead. The usual, if you like that kind of thing: 5/10

Only The Brave (2017) - true story of firefighters fighting fires. Not much happens really, mostly drama rather than action. Jennifer Connelly. 5/10

Lastly a couple of time/jump/paradox films:
    Before I Fall (2017) - drama/mystery, pretty decent: 6/10
    Happy Death Day (2017) - horror/mystery, a bit meh: 4/10
    You seem like a tough person to please, and therefore I feel compelled to ask for three films you’d give a solid 10 out of 10.
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    A Life In 12 Bars.

I am not an Eric Clapton fan, per se, but I was profoundly moved by this film.

The story of his youth is far more distressing than I'd ever been made aware of before and (as much as it never seems to be an excuse for non-artistic types or, indeed, any poor person ever), to be honest, it's no wonder he turned into a selfish, paranoid, alcoholic, temporarily racist, misogynist twat for most of the 70's, 80's and 90's ...and, frankly, it's pretty astonishing that he found his way back to some semblance of normality.

The film does not shy away from the uncomfortable and, to be honest, unsettling truth about the realities of his upbringing, it doesn't try and put a positive or defensive spin on anything that happened during, what he himself described as; "the arsehole years", or overly play the (many) tragedies in his life for sympathy.  It doesn't request plaudits for his recovery or the happy family life he's had since the turn of the millenia either.

A Life In 12 Bars is a really good film that stands on its own merits. And, as my wife can attest, you don't even really have to know who Clapton is to find it engrossing.

For me, it's definitely up there with the great music documentaries, like; Let's Get Lost, The Last Waltz and Beat This.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    10/10 films? Getting that 10 rather than a 9 depends on the whole package and it having that emotional resonance, I guess.
    Here are some of them:
    Heat, Blue Collar (1978), Don't Look Now (1973), The Thing (1982), On The Beach (1959), The Wicker Man (1973), Cure (1997), Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers (1978), Duck You Sucker (1971), The Last Of The Mohicans, Sexy Beast, Sunshine (2007), Old Boy (2003), Dawn Of The Dead (1978), Dead Of Night (1945)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963

A Life In 12 Bars is a really good film that stands on its own merits. And, as my wife can attest, you don't even really have to know who Clapton is to find it engrossing.
    I've just downloaded that on iPlayer. From what you've said it sounds very good.

Fazer said:
    10/10 films? Getting that 10 rather than a 9 depends on the whole package and it having that emotional resonance, I guess.
    Here are some of them:
    Heat, Blue Collar (1978), Don't Look Now (1973), The Thing (1982), On The Beach (1959), The Wicker Man (1973), Cure (1997), Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers (1978), Duck You Sucker (1971), The Last Of The Mohicans, Sexy Beast, Sunshine (2007), Old Boy (2003), Dawn Of The Dead (1978), Dead Of Night (1945)
    Some good choices there. I haven't seen them all, but I'd certainly agree with Don't Look Now, On The Beach, The Wicker Man, Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers (like you I prefer the '78 version to the original), Last Of The Mohicans and Sexy Beast.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Star Trek - the 2009 prequel to the first series. Some nice humour with the nods to the key characters in the original series, but a very lifeless movie, with an uninteresting plot. Far too many lens-flare visual FX moments, and it relies on that "ultimate villain doesn't kill off hero" daftness. Another note to me that seeing "JJ Abrams" on anything is a sign to avoid.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9552
    A Life In 12 Bars.

I am not an Eric Clapton fan, per se, but I was profoundly moved by this film.

The story of his youth is far more distressing than I'd ever been made aware of before and (as much as it never seems to be an excuse for non-artistic types or, indeed, any poor person ever), to be honest, it's no wonder he turned into a selfish, paranoid, alcoholic, temporarily racist, misogynist twat for most of the 70's, 80's and 90's ...and, frankly, it's pretty astonishing that he found his way back to some semblance of normality.

The film does not shy away from the uncomfortable and, to be honest, unsettling truth about the realities of his upbringing, it doesn't try and put a positive or defensive spin on anything that happened during, what he himself described as; "the arsehole years", or overly play the (many) tragedies in his life for sympathy.  It doesn't request plaudits for his recovery or the happy family life he's had since the turn of the millenia either.

For me, it's definitely up there with the great music documentaries, like; Let's Get Lost, The Last Waltz and Beat This.
    I'm now rather hoping for a John Lee Hooker documentary called 'A Life in 12ish Bars'
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958) - Much better than the terrible title makes it sound. It's not at all goofy but an "alien invasion via taking over / inhabiting humans" film, along the lines of Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers. Worth watching: 6/10.

Unearthly Stranger (1963) - Scientists are being bumped off, meanwhile another scientist meets a mysterious woman and marries her ... Interesting & obscure British sci-fi: 6/10

The Beast Must Die (1974) - good fun action/mystery werewolf film in modern [1974] setting. Great cast of familiar faces, you have to figure out who is the werewolf as guests trapped in the country mansion of a big game hunter are killed. Made by Amicus: 6/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    "Spitfire - The Feature Documentary"

Special screening of this last night, with some footage from the premier last week and an interview section at the end.

Charles Dance narrates it, telling the story of the Spitfire of course, so a bit of history with the Schneider Trophy and RJ Mitchell, then onto the war and you get some new interviews with veterans, Geoffrey Wellum, Tom Neil, Joy Lofthouse etc etc.

They've told their stories in countless books and previous documentary's before so personally I didn't learn anything new, but it's still a pleasure to hear them tell their stories.

However the star of the show is really the newly filmed aerial sequences,  they're just amazing, and the music suits is superbly.