Recommend some clean songs to practice?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
I always seem to learn songs that require overdrive or distortion in some way or another, can you guys recommend any songs played clean to practice integrated rhythm and lead?
Ive been working on this which has been a really nice learning curve, especially with timing, any other suggestions? Electric or acoustic.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Waterline is a great DS song, lovely solo too. 

Lots of cool clean guitar parts on Remain in Light

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Boys don't cry by the cure, the weigh by the band, sultans of swing, plenty of surf stuff works clean. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    How about This Charming Man? Some lovely triads and timing to get your head around on that little ditty 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    If you really want to break your hands :) there's Johnny Smith's Moonlight in Vermont, which is a fairly cheesy bit of 50s easly listening, but requires chops of doom to actually play like he does.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/296397932/Johnny-Smith-Moonlight-in-Vermont-Guitar-Transcription

There's some close voiced chord stuff that's really useful to try, at least to get a sense of how that actually sounds.

But if it was me, I really like a lot of the RnB and Americana flavoured stuff that Eric Haugen puts up on his youtube channel (there's tons to get your teeth into):

e.g. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Mark Lettieri doing a solo guitar version of one of his tunes and has tab which you can get here: https://edge-effect.media/transcriptions

The original performance is: 

to see him play, and if you want to see it with the tab:

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    Message in a bottle
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    Get into Stax stuff. Otis Redding stuff has great chord progressions and Steve Cropper's playing is never anything short of tasteful perfection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    Sunflower by Paul Weller could be an  interesting song to try on acoustic
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Any Richard Thompson should be a good workout.
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    edited August 2018
    @Matt_McG I was intrigued by the chops of doom, and I like cheesy 50s easy listening, so I looked at the transcription you posted and... Jaysus! Just the first chord makes my brain and fingers hurt to think about! What kind of a sick maniac fingers chords like that all the time?! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @brojangles Yeah, it's evil. He makes it sound so smooth and effortless, too. His alternate picking is pretty snappy, as well.

He, Johnny Smith, was a beast of a player. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/jun/16/johnny-smith

There's a story that the classical player hired for the session for a Schoenberg recording couldn't do it. One of the dark secrets of a lot of the first wave of classical celebrity guitarists was that they were terrible sight-readers. Smith, on the other hand, was an amazing sight-reader, and could read piano clef, etc. So after days of Rey de la Torre failing to get it right, Smith came in and sight read the part, first take.

He doesn't really swing, though, so he's not a favourite jazz player. But it's great to sometimes check out his stuff, and have a go at reading his crazy close voiced chords.
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    edited August 2018
    @Matt_McG Amazing stuff, and what a mensch about packing it in to look after his daughter.

I normally try to keep my admiration for serious musicians separate from my guitar playing hobby, but maybe I will have a crack at Moonlight in Vermont for educational purposes  
  • Lenny by SRV
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    @Matt_McG I was intrigued by the chops of doom, and I like cheesy 50s easy listening, so I looked at the transcription you posted and... Jaysus! Just the first chord makes my brain and fingers hurt to think about! What kind of a sick maniac fingers chords like that all the time?! 
    That first chord turns out to be one of the easier ones.  
    I am really enjoying the sound of these though. 
    I even searched to see if alternative tunings were used but nothing more than drop-D. I'm tempted to try  E A C# E A E.
    Also, I learnt that he wrote Run don't Walk which fits as I always try to play that one without open strings letting the minor 2nds (7th fret and 3rd fret) ring out if that makes sense. 
    Emphasis on try.

I can play it as written, albeit not at speed, the opening. I can make the stretches. I inagine it would take me a bit of work to get it smooth/fluid, though. It is clunky. And hard for someone with smaller hands to even make the shapes.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    I was surprised to find I can make the stretches, even on a 25.5 scale.
    I have to tuck the neck up under my chin though and not sure how long I can keep it up for.

Yeah, ditto. A footrest, classical style, is handy.