Opeth recommendations

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Listening to them today my favourites are definitely Still Life and Watershed. Got a good balance of heavy and soft with some massive riffs (serenity painted death!) - guitar tones are huge as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I really like the most recent album they did. 
    Takes them more out of the death metal spheres into the progressive realms. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    If by that you mean drums that sound like they were recorded under a duvet, and no riffs then sure...yeah
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    I Opeth I never have to listen to them again 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I prefer the later stuff. Can't get on with growling vocals at all, just sounds so ridiculous and childish. I don't mind other people enjoying it, but it ain't for me. Ghost Reveries would have been brilliant with decent singing on it, I've had it playing in my car in the past and people who don't know that style of music fall about laughing when the growls start up.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Listened to Ghost Reveries for the first time in years a couple of days ago and 'Baying Of The Hounds' is just a stunning track. It's been on repeat constantly in my head all day.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    This thread has prompted me to go an Opeth trip. I listened to Blackwater Park through my headphones last night and Joneve's summary - "it's a fucking masterpiece" - pretty much nails it. Damnation will get a spin later today. Has anyone heard the new album?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    I already had Blackwater Park and decided to try a few other albums based on recommended stuff in this thread. I’ve bought Ghost Reveries and Damnation so far. I’m two tracks into Damnation at the moment... it sounds like a better produced version of early King Crimson with all the wistful vocals and mellotrons. A bit of Jethro Tull and Moody Blues in there maybe.  Whoever said it’s a sterile production has got it dead right. Very different from Blackwater for sure, a bit lightweight if I’m honest. I’m not a great fan of the honey monster vocal style but I’m really missing the light and shade of BP.  Hoping Ghost Reveries has a bit more oomph to it. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    GR is a masterpiece
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    GR is a masterpiece
    Agreed. I’m confident that you’ll find the “oomph” you’re looking for in this album @boogieman ;
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

I've got all the mid-period albums but not the first couple or the most recent ones (I found Heritage really boring).

Haven't listened to them for ages, though, so this week I've been working my way through them on Spotify, oldest first.  I'm surprised how much melodic, slightly proggy stuff there was even from the very early days.