Ear Protection

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653
maybe not the ideal forum to post in, but I currently have typical, musician/music ear-plugs with the wee interchangeable filters.

However, even with the filter for maximum protection, my left ear still rings quite badly after practise - it’s already fucked from years of playing, and rings constantly - but I’d really like to be able to give it more protection if possible.

Are there any earplugs out there that don’t have filters and are just solid - like the ones you’d wear in a factory or whatever - but not bright yellow, or made of foam!?

Or, any better quality plugs that might cost a bit more than usual that folk can recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    I got some from Boots years ago that were solid rubber with several flanges. These were intended for swimmers.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 650
    edited July 2018

Been using Etymotic ER20's for years. Maybe check out their website see if they do a solid industrial type version.

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Do the job properly and get some custom molds. The Read Audio plugs are fantastic. ACS are popular too but aren’t a patch on the Reads.

http://www.read-audio.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    I use the ones for swimming from Boots, and if it is insanely loud, I use the full on workmen style plugs that don't give great sound quality but they cut out a lot!
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Have you done the musicians hearing scheme thing? ACS custom fit pros plus a hearing test for £40. There's a thread on here somewhere about how to apply. 

I've just done it and very impressed with the service. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 905
    Flare Audio do metal ones that reduce by 30 db. They do work but a bit too much reduction for me.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    You should be able to buy those solid in any pharmacy. At least they sell them around here.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The flare ones are really good albeit expensive
    They do cheaper aluminium ones but I have only tried the titanium ones
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    I got the ones from hearing music scheme, acs17 (17db?) and ended up replacing the filters with the 15db so I can hear the band better. Great things and definitely recommended, just the idea of protecting my hearing worth the investment.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    cbellanga said:
    I got the ones from hearing music scheme, acs17 (17db?) and ended up replacing the filters with the 15db so I can hear the band better. Great things and definitely recommended, just the idea of protecting my hearing worth the investment.
    I’ve ended use with the 15db versions as well - great compromise for most situations 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16000
    Some of the shooting ones are good and cheap
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    simonk said:
    Do the job properly and get some custom molds. The Read Audio plugs are fantastic. ACS are popular too but aren’t a patch on the Reads.

@simonk You've mentioned this a couple of times I think.. What are the differences? I like my ACSs but would get Reads next time if they're miles better...
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @mudslide73 said:
    simonk said:

@simonk You've mentioned this a couple of times I think.. What are the differences? I like my ACSs but would get Reads next time if they're miles better...
    I’ve had a pair of ACS Pro17’s for around 10 years with the impressions taken by Boots. I’ve used them on countless gigs and whilst they did the job I always felt like they bunged me up a fair bit, I was never particularly pleased with the sound quality, particularly the lost treble frequencies, and I found it really difficult to sing with them in (so much so that I had to press on one to break the seal a bit to feel like I was singing in key).
    I got a set of the Read Audio plugs some time last year (might have been the year before) and they’ve been a revelation. They’re 3D printed from a hard resin (vs the ACS silicon) and I find them far more comfortable over the course of a gig, they offer a much more neutral attenuation with improved treble response, and I no longer have to stuff a finger in my ear to sing. In short, they’re just better. I was that impressed I convinced our singer to get a pair done and he’s a fussy git... and he loves them too.

* no affiliation with Read Audio... just a happy consumer.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    +1 for the read audio plugs... they fit perfectly... you hear everything you would normally just at a lower volume, no muddiness or loss of frequencies, just quieter!... Plus they turn them round in 48hours!...
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653

it says you can't apply online any more, you need to call them to discuss whether they will send you an application now, so seems like they've cottoned on to everyone applying. I am nowhere near a professional musician, so doubt I would be accepted :(
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    I got custom moulds about 15 years ago and they are fantastic - you hear everything as it sounds without earplugs, just quieter. Other earplugs just make everything sound weird and used to put me off. They cost about 100 quid at the time...best 100 quid I ever spent on guitar gear.

Mine have the ER15 inserts which give the flattest frequency response across the frequency range.

Get them. No question. :)
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I have ACS 17s (have used them for a few years) and recently got a pair of the Read Audio ones (a freebie when I got my IEMs done). 

Strangely I've found I prefer the ACS quite a bit, so never use the Reads.  I've started a gig with the Reads in, and swapped back to the ACS after a few songs, which seem to give me better clarify.  It's the opposite experience to the other comments on this thread, and I can't really account for it.  Maybe my ears are weird, or maybe there are some manufacturing variances at play?
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited July 2018
    What about these?

https://www.64audio.com/

I currently have Shure 215 in ears

https://www.shure.co.uk/products/earphones/se215

They are ok but i feel like the quality isn't great when i compare to my real amp sound. 

Will the like of 1964 or Read in ear be much better or are you paying for the moulded perfect fit plugs?

Sorry to hijack the thread but its related :)