The photography thread

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
Hi all,
As I am starting my photography journey I thought I'd start a thread for sharing tips and advice and also for sharing your favourite photos that you've taken. I will post my photos up once I have had time to get out with my camera. So snap away and share your best photos! I look forward to seeing some great photos and learning from this thread. Cheers!
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I'm at work right now, but I'll be back... :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Great thread idea.. i do a lot of photography for work, but would never call myself a photographer. The most important thing I've learnt/realised is about light though. Light is your friend with cameras. Most of my pictures are of commodes..  so not much room to mess up as long as you have light and a tripod..
     Mostly dumb luck to get a good picture. 

Here are a couple of my non-commode shots.. Best i could do and for the most part unedited (made smaller :) )

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    Here's a few from fairly recently. I've included a few details like camera settings etc.

Trevellas Cove

Nikon D810 / Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 G2
    f14
    26mm
    1.6 seconds
    ISO 200
    Circular polariser
    0.3 (1 stop) ND grad filter

Trevellas Cove

Nikon D810 / Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 G2
    f11
    24mm
    0.8 seconds
    ISO 100
    Circular polariser
    0.9 (3 stop) ND grad filter

Sennen.

Nikon D7100 / Tokina 11-16mm F2.8
    f11
    11.6mm
    1/50th second
    ISO 160
    Circular polariser

Porth Nanven

Nikon D7100 / Tokina 11-16mm F2.8
    f11
    11.0 mm
    21 seconds
    ISO 100
    Circular polariser
    10 stop ND filter

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Nice landscapes @Budgie ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    edited July 2018
    My advice…

I am going to skip the gear and technicalities, because I think although it seems difficult, the science of this is something you will eventually pick up by doing, just experiment and see what the settings do.

What I want to talk about is the art, for example, let's start with the kind of photography you want to shoot, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SHOOT?  Just like what kind of music do you like to play? I would not want to take photos of everything, that will actually hold you back, the skill of taking candids vs landscapes are vastly different so don't spread yourself too thin, similarly this will save you money too gear wise.

Take photos of what you love, and do that, and concentrate on that.  I like photographing people, so you rarely see me go out at 4am to get sunrises unless there is a big reason to.

I know not very much about landscape photography, I appreciate it but my guts don't know the right compositions when i am in location really, my eyes don't know when to wait for the right light, i am used to working with what i have and get the shot no matter what from shooting weddings.  My guts can guide me through photos with people, moments i know them, i don't really need to think about those but with landscapes i feel lost, with astro, i am lost.  I can probably explain to you how a photo was taken, take a good guess at the settings and can probably recreate it but they are not me.

What I am trying to say in the end is don't dwell on too much on the science, rather, go after the art, the science can be explained in a few sentences but the art will take you a life time to learn.

I don't really have my own favourite photo but a lot of my clients often ask for the "umbrella" shot.

This is the same principle as the umbrella shot, minus the umbrella.

They are actually not that difficult, once you know the science, you can do them again, again and again…as illustrated.  The challenge is coming up with the idea, which brings me back to my point of don't dwell too much on the science, think about the art.
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    My favourite photo however, are not technically great but for sentimentality.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    Amazing stuff from @RaymondLin and @Budgie thanks for sharing. 
    How very rock and roll
  • few of my personal faves

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Wow, there are some fantastic photos posted! Thank you to @Budgie for including your camera settings that's very helpful. Thanks also to @RaymondLin for the advice, consider it taken onboard.

Now for a quick question, what is the verdict on Sigma lenses please? Their macro lenses are cheaper than the Canon branded ones but I don't want to buy inferior glass if I can help it so would a secondhand Canon lens be a better bet than a new Sigma Lens? Or are there other brands of lens I should be looking at?
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Gear wise the best advice you can get is from a guy called Chase Jarvis who Fantastic and has some incredible educational content. He simply said the best camera is the one that’s with you. 

Other than that, start small and cheap, take lots of photos and find out what you enjoy the most. For me it was always people. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• Everything @RaymondLin said .

A few of my faves - sadly, my recent newborn shoot the parents have asked for me not to share online :( 

https://flic.kr/p/RU8Hqn

https://flic.kr/p/SQNmTd

https://flic.kr/p/SuWH4m

https://flic.kr/p/SYuD9R

https://flic.kr/p/29cPZND

Recently got back into it after a year out focused on caring for family, work and my own health. Good to get the flashes out again :) 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    zepp76 said:

Now for a quick question, what is the verdict on Sigma lenses please? Their macro lenses are cheaper than the Canon branded ones but I don't want to buy inferior glass if I can help it so would a secondhand Canon lens be a better bet than a new Sigma Lens? Or are there other brands of lens I should be looking at?
    I’ve got a couple of Sigma’s. They’re good lenses, very sharp and great value for money. The earlier ones have a weird matt finish which marks up really easily but I believe they’ve changed that on later models. Their Art lenses are brilliant but are more expensive, almost into L series money. On the standard series of Canon and Sigma lenses, there’s not a vast difference. If it was a choice between a new Sigma and used L series Canon though, I’d go for the Canon glass.  
  • boogieman said:
    zepp76 said:

I’ve got a couple of Sigma’s. They’re good lenses, very sharp and great value for money. The earlier ones have a weird matt finish which marks up really easily but I believe they’ve changed that on later models. Their Art lenses are brilliant but are more expensive, almost into L series money. On the standard series of Canon and Sigma lenses, there’s not a vast difference. If it was a choice between a new Sigma and used L series Canon though, I’d go for the Canon glass.  

Indeed. 

The big catch I've found with my sigma 85mm 1.4 is minor focusing issues - however, at 1.4 even the slightest movement will screw focus so it's probably more technique than the lens. Also, mine is the older model which could be sent back to sigma for a firmware update 

With that said, it's sharp and makes beautiful pictures for cheap. There are, truly, very few terrible lenses available these days. Focus problems on mirror less cameras are basically non existent as they focus off the sensor.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    boogieman said:
    zepp76 said:

Indeed. 

The big catch I've found with my sigma 85mm 1.4 is minor focusing issues - however, at 1.4 even the slightest movement will screw focus so it's probably more technique than the lens. Also, mine is the older model which could be sent back to sigma for a firmware update 

With that said, it's sharp and makes beautiful pictures for cheap. There are, truly, very few terrible lenses available these days. Focus problems on mirror less cameras are basically non existent as they focus off the sensor.
    My Sigma 150-500 has slight focussing issues too. Sometimes it shuffles around a bit before it latches onto the subject. The IS system is pretty noisy too, tbh I rarely use it as if I’m right at the far end of the zoom where it’s most useful then I’ll use a monopod or tripod. Very sharp lens though and it was a third the price of an L equivalent so I put up with the foibles. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    I'm a cinematographer and photographer by trade.

Recent reel of video stuff - 

My flickr filled with all sorts - https://www.flickr.com/photos/sneakyeye - some okay albums in there somewhere.

Massively into my glass, old and new and cheap and pricey. Have owned most things.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Modern Sigma lenses are good in general and often best value but you need to take them all on a case by case basis.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    @soma1975 wow that's an impressive showreel! Looks like you've been involved in a load of very cool projects - and is that TopGear?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Cheers matey. No Top Gear but some bits and pieces that might find a home on netflix if we're lucky. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Modern Sigma lenses are good in general and often best value but you need to take them all on a case by case basis.
    big wis for the mighty Lin. 

same with Tamron, I remember having a Tamron 17-50 2.8 highly regarded upgrade to kit lens and it was really impressive so much so my friend purchased the same and it was very soft compared.
    The Sigma Arts are fantastic. I've used the 18-35 alongside £15,000 cinema Leicas and it cut beautifully. The 50-100 breathes very heavily but that's not really a problem for stills. The 24mm 1.4 is super sharp for a wide and the 85mm has a lovely rendition. 

All in all they might be a bit too clean and sharp and 'characterless' for some tastes but I'd take them in a heartbeat over any Canon L glass and most modern glass outside Zeiss Otus.