Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    They are decent guys in there too
  • JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 233
    gringopig said:
    Just get a Marr sig. all the necessary mods and the best neck in the world 
    I hear you but I'm hankering for an original. That JM LPB model is a touch over £2k and a real original 1963/4 is not THAT much more!
    New Fender prices are insane. I got mine from a chap on here @blueskunk for a CIJ Jag and some dosh. Honestly has ruined all othe guitars for me. Might put a firebird pickup in the bridge but then again these pickups are so sensitive to height that you can get a lot of mileage just by adjusting them 

• JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 233

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    That's a Johnny Marr isn't it?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Don’t listen to the naysayers - if you want preCBS then keep looking.

I have a 64 Precision - and I have a/b’d it against a nearly new CS 64 reissue roadworn.

From 2m away you couldn’t tell the difference - it was like one bass and a mirror. Up close, it was a lot clearer, and when played, there was just something about my 64 that would just be impossible to reproduce. 

I guess it’s horses for course etc. And some people just won’t get it, but for me - and maybe for you - that preCBS thing really is worth it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    @gringopig I think you should reconsider getting a tattoo of Kurt Vile's face.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534

That looks incredible - you folk who prefer a Jag in old-man sunburst rather than a custom colour are mad IMO. All that chrome is crying out for matallics or surf colours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 761
    I had a 64 Jag a while back, it replaced a more recent american thin skin Jag.  Bought the 64 thinking that this was it and how could it get any better, what actually happened is I realised that the margins of gauging "better/nicer" are small past a certain quality.  Ultimately I was disappointed that it wasn't streets ahead of the thin skin and moved it on.

I still have an early 65 mustang. Again it's nice, but I've had just about as much fun on any nice Japanese reissue. 

I suppose I'm saying that if I were you I wouldn't discount some of the newer stuff, because Fender have been putting out some great Jags the last few years.  But I guess when the vintage bug hits you, maybe you just have to try it and see.

Best of luck!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    edited July 2020

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    gringopig said:
    So I went with the vintage option purely because I would have regretted not buying this one for sure:

1962 with May neck date (apparently). I'm not one to open guitars up and really don't like taking necks off unless absolutely necessary. With original case and bridge cover. Think I've fallen for it already after plugging it in after the 8 hour round trip!

Sounds great with a fluid whammy bar which responds instantly to the touch and no rattling from the bridge to speak of.
    The frets are original but quite low and although it plays fine, I sense a re-fret at some point and I can feel my fingertips having a bit of friction on the fingerboard. No rush though.
    The chap I bought it from has been bitten by the same bug as me except the bug that bit him must be the size of a small horse or bear. I can totally get it though. Now, just to get that circular arpeggio from 'Pretty Pimpin' up to speed!

Thanks all. 

That is stunning, love the darker shade of sunburst typical of this year. Amazing condition, where did you find it??
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    That's beautiful. Well done for holding out for the right one.
    edited July 2020
    edited July 2020
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    That is rather nice! Going to be a few years before i can even think of getting an older Jag!
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Lovely, congrats. Always a fan of a target burst.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12648
    It'll look great refinished in Lake Placid Blue. ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom