Tour De France 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    Another stage win for Geraint Thomas, today. Excellent. Looking forward to seeing how he did it. Lots of coments about how Froome can possibly win the Tour and should he be supporting G instead. Unlikely, I feel. All Froome has to do is beat everyone else and then rely on G to lose a couple of minutes to promote him to first. After this years Giro, I'm not sure Froome doesn't have another big stage win with a huge gap in his back pocket when he gets the opportunity to deliver it. 

Let's see. fascinating stuff!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Thomas looked strong there.  If he had gone earlier, I wonder if he could have taken 20 or 30 seconds out of Froome.  It was probably right for him not to go earlier as he might have dragged Dumoulin with him.  Still gained another 13 seconds on Froome though with the 3 second gap plus time bonuses.

Froome does tend to be strong in the last week of a grand tour, but at the moment, I'm not sure he can get the better of Thomas.
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    What a great stage that was. I thought Thomas was going to be dropped by Dumoulin with about 2km to go , great effort there 
  • First British rider to win on Alpe d'Huez, and the first to ever do it wearing Yellow! Now let's see how the Pyrenees pan out.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    He looked well happy in the interview afterwards and that sprint at the end was the cherry on top.
    Dumoulin said that he missed a shift going into the sprint that cost him
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited July 2018
    Froome is a much better time trialist. Thomas will need a big gap going into the penultimate stage to win. Stay within 2 mins and Froome will win.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2580
    edited July 2018
    Thought the race unfolded well for Thomas today - he was on all the right wheels to get to the final sprint the strongest. Whereas Froome rode more aggressively to counter Bardet and others.

Not a great fan of Sky's dominance of the peleton, but the performance on the last two stages has been immpressive.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9583
    I guess this is where I say that I remember Geraint Thomas in the Cardiff club cycling scene years ago. His breakthrough year was 2004, when he won a load of races around south Wales while still a junior (under 18). Here he is winning my club’s road race:

https://i.imgur.com/yO3E3sI.jpg

He had special dispensation to race with the elite race rather than the juniors (and 3rd/4th category seniors). Even so, nobody could stay with him and he rode away for a solo win. Chapeau!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes Geraint. Epic two days for Welsh sport. Hope he can keep this up, it would be incredible if he won. But let’s face it Froom always wins in the end. 
    Froome is a much better time trialist. Thomas will need a big gap going into the penultimate stage to win. Stay within 2 mins and Froome will win.
    Thomas can time trial pretty well when he puts his mind to it.  He came 8th in the 2016 Oympic time trial.  Remember he's got a track pursuit background so he'll be a lot better in the aero position than the likes of Quintana and Bardet. 

He's not as good as Frome, but Froome won't take 2 minutes out of him in 31km.  Froome beat him by 1 minute 35 in the Olympic time trial, but that was a much longer course.  If Froome isn't within a minute then I don't think he'll catch Thomas in the time trial.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Wow, Tour de France yesterday and today - amazing! So happy to see everyone's favourite cyclist win both incredibly hard mountain stages against the odds! I knew todays result before watching, but it really didn't look like he was going to win at any point with so many attacks going on, I kept thinking I must have heard wrong!

I still think Froome will win overall, the best time triallers always seem to win. Geraint usually has a day that he cracks as well.

I would so love him to win though. 

• duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    edited July 2018
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    Great day for G on Thursday - surprised no Movie Star guys can live with this and 3 potential options in that team - Yates well out of it already - Hope G's recovery rate is good and he keeps it going

What about the Sprinters - Who is left ?  - Sagan for one - Otherwise looks like the B team sprinters, with the likes of Eddie Boss for DD - is Kristoff still in ?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9583
    Geraint is the British time trial champion and he won the prologue last year. There won’t be much between them in the contre la montre.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    It would be nice to see Thomas win the overall, but I think he needs to believe it himself to have any chance of beating Froome.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    Geraint is the British time trial champion and he won the prologue last year. There won’t be much between them in the contre la montre.
    didn't he win the Giro time trial last year, or top 2/3
    Nibali out with a fractured vertebra.  Crash apparently caused by a spectator's camera strap.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    That BMC bike makes me hum the airwolf theme every time I see it ( not Streethawk )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Froome is a much better time trialist. Thomas will need a big gap going into the penultimate stage to win. Stay within 2 mins and Froome will win.
    G would have bossed the TT at the Dauphine without that crash as well. And the ITT this year is anything but flat, 31Km of up and down pure pain. It's not your typical race of truth.

The Pyrenees should have the race sewn up before stage 20, but if it's still close between Thomas, Froome and Dumoulin then anything's possible.

Even if he doesn't do it Geraint has already made Tour history on D'Huez, 1st time in 30 stages up the switchbacks that Yellow has won it. That's a nice little add-on to multiple Olympic and World Golds and the odd race here and there!

Would love him to go all the way to Paris though.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...