The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 6953
    As far back as I can remember, every year there has been a dominant team that gets most of the wins, a challenger team that may give them a hard time and a third team that might snag the occasional win or two.  The exceptions are 1988 (Prost v Senna) and 2014-2016 (the Lewis and Nico Show).  It’s always the way of it.

What’s changed over the past 10-15 years is that reliability has become so fantastic that the probability of another team getting onto the podium as a result of mechanical failure in one of the Big Three has become increasingly small.

Teams are spending a fantastic amount of effort to ensure cast-iron reliability these days.  Engine or transmission failure carries a disproportionate penalty; not only are you out of the race, but you’ll most likely get a grid penalty in a subsequent race.

Sports thrive on unpredictability; only Schumacher-era masochists are happy tuning in every race to see the same old faces on the podium.  The current regulatory climate basically ensures predictability.  Stable and constrictive regulation limits any kind of innovation, engine development is frozen and pushing the envelope at the expense of reliability will find you at the back of the grid for the next race.  The only real unpredictability left is the weather and drivers having accidents.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018
    Hamilton’s signed for another two years at Mercedes, on a base salary of £30 million with up to £10 million more in bonuses.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1K91AW

Strange that they didn’t announce Bottas at the same time?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Cols said:

Strange that they didn’t announce Bottas at the same time?
    They have today...one year contract with an option for 2020.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Cols said:
    Hamilton’s signed for another two years at Mercedes, on a base salary of £30 million with up to £10 million more in bonuses.

Hamilton turned down an offer from another team. I wonder which one .....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:

McLaren, as rumour has it.
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:

Speculative at best I'd say ... the only place Hamilton would go would be Ferrari but that won't happen while Vettel is number one.

Little change at the front then; Ricciardo will re-sign for Red Bull as Ferrari have lost interest and McLaren are going nowhere.  The only question mark is over the second Ferrari seat, and it seems increasingly likely that LeClerc will get the nod for this.

Raikkonen still wants to continue though, and has apparently been lobbying to switch to Sauber next season.

Further down the grid, Sainz’s contract apparently leaves him a free agent if Red Bull don’t offer him a seat at the senior team.  McLaren are keen to sign him if he becomes available, at the expense of Vandoorne.

Stroll seems to be fed up with Williams and is planning to take his millions to Force India next year.  This would leave Williams in financial trouble, as they’re also losing Martini sponsorship at the end of the year and there’s no replacement in sight.
    edited July 2018
    Cols said:
    Little change at the front then; Ricciardo will re-sign for Red Bull as Ferrari have lost interest and McLaren are going nowhere.  The only question mark is over the second Ferrari seat, and it seems increasingly likely that LeClerc will get the nod for this.

Raikkonen still wants to continue though, and has apparently been lobbying to switch to Sauber next season.

Further down the grid, Sainz’s contract apparently leaves him a free agent if Red Bull don’t offer him a seat at the senior team.  McLaren are keen to sign him if he becomes available, at the expense of Vandoorne.

Stroll seems to be fed up with Williams and is planning to take his millions to Force India next year.  This would leave Williams in financial trouble, as they’re also losing Martini sponsorship at the end of the year and there’s no replacement in sight.
    I'd read Ferrari will most likely keep Raikkonen for another year as Vettel thinks he's an excellent number two and the team is stable.

Fretwired said:
    Cols said:

I'd read Ferrari will most likely keep Raikkonen for another year as Vettel things he's an excellent number two and the team is stable.
    Certainly Vettel seems to be lobbying fiercely for Kimi to stay... for obvious reasons.  In that case LeClerc might have another development year in Haas.
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Speculative at best I'd say ... the only place Hamilton would go would be Ferrari but that won't happen while Vettel is number one.
    "In terms of the other guys approaching, one did but I didn't give it any time," Hamilton said.

Mclaren would fit the bill; they’re on the hunt for a top line driver in case Alonso quits, and the team shareholders have deep enough pockets to afford Hamilton.  Unfortunately they don’t have a competitive package to offer him.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    There's also talk of Kubica talking to Haas. I'd really like to see that haappen. Another year at Sauber wouldn't hurt LeClerc at all. 

McLaren are probably talking to every driver without a contract for next year. They're in enough shit already but if Alonso goes they're in deep shit. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    Whoever is at Haas next year will be hoping LeClerc start right where he is.
    sinbaadi said:
    Whoever is at Haas next year will be hoping LeClerc start right where he is.
    I don’t know; I reckon K-Mag would be bullish with any team mate. 

LeClerc is clearly a talent, but he’s only up against Ericsson, who isn’t exactly Fernando, whether down to height/weight disadvantage or general crapness.
    Has Hamilton cracked? Anyone read his four page Instagram post? He's not in a good place ...

Fretwired said:
    Has Hamilton cracked? Anyone read his four page Instagram post? He's not in a good place ...
    I thought it was a pretty measured response from a guy who is behind in the championship and had a shit qualifying through no fault of his own. 

I'm looking forward to him and DannyRic carving through the field today. 50% chance of rain too?
    Fretwired said:
    I thought it was a pretty measured response from a guy who is behind in the championship and had a shit qualifying through no fault of his own. 

I'm looking forward to him and DannyRic carving through the field today. 50% chance of rain too?
    Hamilton's car breakdown was his fault .. riding the kerbs. Toto didn't look happy and contradicted Hamilton in his interview on Sky.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    Fretwired said:
    If the stewards take his victory away today, Instagram's going to be on fire. 

Well, for such an unpredictable race that was pretty dull.
    edited July 2018
    Fretwired said:
    If the stewards take his victory away today, Instagram's going to be on fire. 
    Calling Ferrari International Assistance .... pretty dumb call by Mercedes as they could have let Hamilton trundle down the pit lane and he'd have still been in the lead. He'll get a penalty .. Kimi had one for doing something similar. Mercedes should have got Bottas to slow down to cover a 5 second penalty ... Hamilton beat him by 4.5 seconds.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    What happened to Ted's Notebook? Scared of the rain?