What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    Back to the future on film 4 classic!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Back to the future on film 4 classic!
    Watching now, I just happened to catch it in time for the Johnny B Goode bit. 
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    sinbaadi said:
    Melancholia (2011)

Watched this on recommendation from my little sister with the footnote that "it's weird".  Knew nothing else.

Weird is right!  At times it's so art-house you winner if it's in fact a movie at all.  Quite the cast for such an obscure film but nothing really to grab you at any point.  It obviously spends a lot of energy trying to build tension even though you know what will happen throughout and that is simply interspersed with random weird events and awkward family interaction.

Long too.  I found myself wanting the conclusion to hurry up about an hour before it eventually arrived.

5 points for being different.
    5/10
    I literally LOVED this one. Gave it an 8, being highly strict, on imdb.
    I'm having some days off, and promised I'd forswear series. I've lived up to the promise so far, so I've been watching films:
    1) El Bar, by Alex de la Iglesia (a Spanish film): a group of people find themselves marooned in a caff. And they can't go out for some time or else they'll get killed. 
    2) The Bothersome Man, a film from Norway. A man gets a job in an important city but nobody seems to be sensitive to anything there: love, death, simple things like chocolate, drinks or music seem not to matter at all. Excellent one.
    3) Old Boy. A well-known Korean one. Dark. Tough. Weird. But excellent as well.
    4) Son of the Bride. An Argentinian one. It's touched the core of me and made me feel like having a daughter, though that hasn't been the writer's overriding plan.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited July 2018
    A Quiet Place (2018).

Is this the scariest movie of all time?
    I am still pondering that......but it may be.
    I saw The Exorcist in a cinema and I think that factor, and the reaction of the audience, may have influenced my thinking on that one.

You can gather that I don't want to hype A Quiet Place too much but it is brilliantly executed and it is very hard to watch in places. It is astonishing. Ten out of ten.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    Skipped said:
    A Quiet Place (2018).

Is this the scariest movie of all time?
    I am still pondering that......but it may be.
    I saw The Exorcist in a cinema and I think that factor, and the reaction of the audience, may have influenced my thinking on that one.

You can gather that I don't want to hype A Quiet Place too much but it is brilliantly executed and it is very hard to watch in places. It is astonishing. Ten out of ten.

I don't think it is scary, however it has tension, and has it consistently throughout from almost at the 1st minute and does not let go.  That it does VERY well.  It keeps you on the edge of your seat with your fits in your mouth and your breathing slows as soon as the movie starts.

That is just one aspect of a horror film, tension, but scary? I found the Ring to be more scary.

It is very good though, I recommend it to everyone but it is also a film that should be watched in the cinema because in the cinema you will enjoy the same tension with lots of other people and you can feel the whole audience doing the same thing, like they are participating in the whole world inside the movie.
    Watched I spit on you last night. Not really sure what to say...
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    I spit on you? Or I spit on your grave? I saw the original, it seemed really grim at the time but I wonder how it stands up now. Not that I have any real desire to see it again, or watch the remake. 
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 412
    IvanMC said:
    sinbaadi said:
    Melancholia (2011)

Watched this on recommendation from my little sister with the footnote that "it's weird".  Knew nothing else.

Weird is right!  At times it's so art-house you winner if it's in fact a movie at all.  Quite the cast for such an obscure film but nothing really to grab you at any point.  It obviously spends a lot of energy trying to build tension even though you know what will happen throughout and that is simply interspersed with random weird events and awkward family interaction.

Long too.  I found myself wanting the conclusion to hurry up about an hour before it eventually arrived.

5 points for being different.
    5/10
    I literally LOVED this one. Gave it an 8, being highly strict, on imdb.
    I'm having some days off, and promised I'd forswear series. I've lived up to the promise so far, so I've been watching films:
    1) El Bar, by Alex de la Iglesia (a Spanish film): a group of people find themselves marooned in a caff. And they can't go out for some time or else they'll get killed. 
    2) The Bothersome Man, a film from Norway. A man gets a job in an important city but nobody seems to be sensitive to anything there: love, death, simple things like chocolate, drinks or music seem not to matter at all. Excellent one.
    3) Old Boy. A well-known Korean one. Dark. Tough. Weird. But excellent as well.
    4) Son of the Bride. An Argentinian one. It's touched the core of me and made me feel like having a daughter, though that hasn't been the writer's overriding plan.

Old Boy , amazing movie , surprise surprise they remade an American version , pointless and dire .
    Did Lilyhammer lead you to The Bothersome Man ?   Trond Fausa / Torgeir  (yes i had to look his real name up) is really good in that .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    The American
    Clooney is a blackmarket weapons dude. A little bit melancholy. Quite good but not spectacular.

Annihilation
    I completely understand why this got so much fanfare in the days before release. I also completely understand why that quickly dissipated. 

ARQ
    An interesting one. "A single idea done well" is usually my favourite type of scoff. This is a timey-wimey tale and I won't say any more for fear of spoilers. It started a bit naff and got better as it went along. It's by no means a classic but I quite enjoyed it overall.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    boogieman said:
    I spit on you? Or I spit on your grave? I saw the original, it seemed really grim at the time but I wonder how it stands up now. Not that I have any real desire to see it again, or watch the remake. 
    Not sure. The one with the girl in the woods who enacts her revenge on the swamp boys.. it was late on the horror channel  B)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited July 2018
    boogieman said:
    Not sure. The one with the girl in the woods who enacts her revenge on the swamp boys.. it was late on the horror channel  B
    It'll be the remake (2010).  The original (1978) is never on Horror Channel.  And I'm pretty sure it still can't be shown uncut in the UK.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Arrival
    Ex Machina
    Interstellar
    The Martian

I'm old-fashioned and still do disc rentals.  For some reason everything they've sent me recently has been science fiction...

I liked them all, in different ways.  Except Interstellar, which is a pile of poop and would've been much better if Steven Spielberg had directed it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Darkest Hour

Pretty much as I expected - Gary Oldman is fantastic, but possibly a bit too exaggerated - I suspect the real Churchill was less of a bumbling drunk than he is portrayed, although it was good to see him as uncertain and self-doubting, given how easy it is to think of his success as a foregone conclusion when we know the result. The rest of the film is a bit flat - not positively bad, but very formulaic, with shallow lifeless characters and a cartoonish impression of Halifax in particular - he was not quite the weak appeaser as shown, in reality.

7/10 (Oldman 9/10, rest 6/10)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    ICBM said:
    Darkest Hour

Pretty much as I expected - Gary Oldman is fantastic, but possibly a bit too exaggerated - I suspect the real Churchill was less of a bumbling drunk than he is portrayed, although it was good to see him as uncertain and self-doubting, given how easy it is to think of his success as a foregone conclusion when we know the result. The rest of the film is a bit flat - not positively bad, but very formulaic, with shallow lifeless characters and a cartoonish impression of Halifax in particular - he was not quite the weak appeaser as shown, in reality.

7/10 (Oldman 9/10, rest 6/10)
    I think you're being generours with the 6/10. I really wanted to like this film, but even Gary Oldman's performance (which is excellent) couldn't redeem it for me. The scene where Churchill goes on the underground was so cringeworthy it felt like I was watching a Larry David show!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Moominpapa said:

I think you're being generours with the 6/10. I really wanted to like this film, but even Gary Oldman's performance (which is excellent) couldn't redeem it for me. The scene where Churchill goes on the underground was so cringeworthy it felt like I was watching a Larry David show!
    Yes, you're probably right. That was the worst bit - I did think it was reasonably well made in most other ways though, if quite clichéd.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1646
    Seven psychopaths... Stoker... Both dark but good
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• FazerFazer Frets: 467
    Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) - I got it years ago as it was listed as an early film to use Point-Of-View camera work, which is an interest of mine.
    I finally got around to watching it and it's fantastic in every way - the atmosphere and characterisation of Hyde in particular.
    Fredric March is great and the extended scenes of Hyde with the show girl are really creepy/edgy.
    And scenes such as where he's triggered by a cat going after a bird in [St James?] park just have that something about them.
    1931 was a different world in so many ways to where we find ourselves today, there's a melancholy and insight in seeing our history.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    edited July 2018
    HBO's documentary about Robin Williams. 

"Come Inside My Mind ".

Brilliant, as he was. Gives you a bit of an insight to comedian's understanding of things... quirky as he was... hard to rate really as it doesn't try to be dramatic as a movie - it focuses on the person.
    Pretty much like last documentary I've seen from them - "Andre The Giant" - well recommended and I encourage to watch and make your own opinion.
     HBO makes IMHO the best television in this time and age. Documentaries and tv shows. By far.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    The Incredibles 2

Good. Not as good as #1, but a fun evening at the cinema. The visuals in the end-of-act-2 fight were spectacular. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • westwest Frets: 994
    Fazer said:
    Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) - I got it years ago as it was listed as an early film to use Point-Of-View camera work, which is an interest of mine.
    I finally got around to watching it and it's fantastic in every way - the atmosphere and characterisation of Hyde in particular.
    Fredric March is great and the extended scenes of Hyde with the show girl are really creepy/edgy.
    And scenes such as where he's triggered by a cat going after a bird in [St James?] park just have that something about them.
    1931 was a different world in so many ways to where we find ourselves today, there's a melancholy and insight in seeing our history.

Check out michael powell's peeping tom 1960  ;)  unless you allready have ...