Comments

• FlametopFlametop Frets: 52
    I spy a Tele deluxe  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Flametop said:
    I spy a Tele deluxe  :)
    Indeed! That is a gorgeous body Neil, weighs next to nothing. I’m hoping to get the CAR on their next week once I reprime it. Which reminds me I need to repair or replace my primer gun... always something!
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    Had a silly June and July... lost a lot of time for various reasons and so playing catch up still and due to move to my new place in just a week's time. Haven't even had time to think about the work it's going to need to get set up there 

Sorry to anyone whose job I've had to turn down over the last month, but I'd rather that than make promises that can't be kept. However, once I'm set up in the new space I will have so much more room, resources and scope to offer more services, finishes and products.

Nonetheless here's a few things that have been going on in the last couple of weeks...

Lentz strat Firemist Silver refin, aged Sonic blue 60s strat and another Firemist Silver (but slightly aged) refin on a Warmoth (?)  Jm body

Couple of Burgundy Mist beauties

Top bound Mahogany tele refin, Shoreline Gold - had a fairly hideous greenburst before this

Unmasked:

2TSB strat

This week I need to spray a Sherwood Green strat and Jaguar and a few more JM bodies in some new colours - Copper Glow (an old Buick colour) and maybe Teal Green.

If you do need a job doing, stick with me and once settled in the new workshop, everything can get underway.

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Also this 1966 Jaguar will be going Firemist Gold. I tried to gently persuade the owner to consider restoring the original sunburst but it was a bit too far gone I guess and there are quite a lot of areas to repair on the body, though none of them quite as deep as expected.

It's stripped down to the Fullerplast sealer and yellow dye now.

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    Sprayed a few more nice metallics yesterday, all stock that I'm building up for my web shop apart from the Strat.

Sherwood Green HSS strat commission for Iain ready for clearcoats (has 1.5 coats here). Love the sparkle to this mix.

Excited by this one - a new colour, Buick Copper Glow

Teal Green Metallic

Aged Inca Silver Metallic

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    Spraybooth is being dismantled and moved to my new place on Thursday 

Still got a lot of jobs needing clearcoats before curing but hoping I can power through them!

IN the meantime here's a nice two-stage Candy Apple Red on an @GSPBASSES tele thinline/deluxe (gorgeous and featherweight as it's chambered swamp ash) for @Flametop ; ;

and... a 1966 Jaguar in Firemist Gold, couldn't resist posting this one!

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited August 2018
    rexter said:

Excited by this one - a new colour, Buick Copper Glow

Love it. So cool when people go off-piste into other car paints of the period - there are so many.

https://i.imgur.com/S07BJ84.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @KKJale - you're right, there is a whole galaxy of awesome colours out there. Always wanted to get a good copper in stock - I think the flake would probably have been finer on the original mix but mine is mixed with a coarse flake to get that extra sparkle. Planning a nice set of Copper Glow blackguards  =)

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Spraybooth downtime (new one being fabricated) means at least some time to catch up on final stages of a quite a few jobs.

Sorry to anybody waiting - renovation of my new workshop ran 2-3 weeks behind so only really just starting to get sorted in there and a lot of stuff to organise...

They've done me a very nice painted brick wall in one room, great for pictures 

Subtly aged custom mixed Sonic Blue strat for @rze99 ;

This custom mahogany JM is heading off to Ireland in the next day or so

Top bound mahogany tele refinished from an fugly greenburst to proper Shoreline Gold. Very clean binding work if I say so myself  ;) Heading back to @Jimbro66 tomorrow

And I need a tele for the workshop so I'll be completing this one soon hopefully. Some Rutters saddles on the way and choosing some nice pickups.

Also have a very nice burst body that could be up for sale to cover some moving costs, although I'm trying to save stock for my website. PM me if interested - can be aged more to suit - at the moment fairly NOS just some lovely looking checking and a few sympathetic dinks...

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Loving that bound Tele !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
    And that sunburst is just gorgeous...!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Prices please! Does that dual humbucker JM take a tele neck?  Can you rout it for a humbucker tele bridge?
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    That brown Tele is something to behold! 
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
    edited August 2018
    On top of all this re-finishing stuff, Jon’s a very good guitar tech too - with a sound knowledge of the mathematics and physics involved, as opposed to many a guitarist ‘having a bash’ at guitar tech-ing (including me)

He performed an excellent and highly precise routing job on a rather expensive strat of mine - and a fabulous set up / fret dress too.  Now she plays like butter...

Thanks Jon - respect.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2261
    @rexterooking forward to receiving my aged Sonic he Strat body.  Will post pics of finished build. :)
    tFB Trader
    @Chalky hey there, that JM was actually designed and made by my friend Dan down in Brighton - he has a fledgling company in the works but has been going behind the scenes on forums for a while, kind of like me. It's routed for a strat neck. Drop me a PM and I can put you in touch with him re body prices as I'm not sure what that one came in at. Probably quite a lot as it's one piece mahogany  He can do anything with his CNC. I charged £200 for that Burgundy Mist job.

My own bodies finished in similar metallic colours generally start at £275-£300 - custom options no problem too.

I can finish new bodies from other suppliers starting at £200, best to ask for a quote.

Refins it really depends on the state of the body and each individual job.

@jaymenon - thanks so much - come over anytime, glad it took that lovely guitar to the next level!

@rze99 always a pleasure and I always anticipate seeing your builds complete, always pure class. UPS failed to turn up at the workshop to pick up your package yesterday unfortunately. Second time this week... they are taking the piss, just ask @Jimbro66 ; :p

Side note has anyone else found UPS standards to have really fallen this year? They used to be great and I'd never use anyone else for shipping guitars and parts all over the world, but lately I've had some terrible experiences...
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    And one for the road before I head off for the weekend...

Perfectly aged Olympic White JM assembly. 

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    rexter said:
    @rze99 always a pleasure and I always anticipate seeing your builds complete, always pure class. UPS failed to turn up at the workshop to pick up your package yesterday unfortunately. Second time this week... they are taking the piss, just ask @Jimbro66  :p

Side note has anyone else found UPS standards to have really fallen this year? They used to be great and I'd never use anyone else for shipping guitars and parts all over the world, but lately I've had some terrible experiences...
    No, UPS are not our favourite people at present. I sent the Tele body to @Rexter with their 24 hour service and it arrived 6 days later after they "forgot to collect it" from the drop-off point. The body was then refinished by Jon and it was arranged to be delivered to me by UPS. This time UPS made an even bigger cock-up of it and caused complete confusion by issuing two different consignment numbers for the same package. 4 days later.......  A disappointment as in the past UPS have been pretty reliable.

The good news is that the body is at last safely in my hands and Jon has done a great job. The photos above don't really do justice to the depth of colour in the Shoreline Gold top. It looks superb. Jon had quite a job in removing an unattractive green burst from the front before being able to apply the Shoreline Gold then the tedious job of scraping the binding which has been done so incredibly well.

I'm looking forward to assembling the complete guitar but it will have to wait as I have to be in France for the whole of Sept. There might just be time for a test fit before I leave, just to wet the appetite.
    tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:
    rexter said:
    @rze99 always a pleasure and I always anticipate seeing your builds complete, always pure class. UPS failed to turn up at the workshop to pick up your package yesterday unfortunately. Second time this week... they are taking the piss, just ask @Jimbro66  :p

No, UPS are not our favourite people at present. I sent the Tele body to @Rexter with their 24 hour service and it arrived 6 days later after they "forgot to collect it" from the drop-off point. The body was then refinished by Jon and it was arranged to be delivered to me by UPS. This time UPS made an even bigger cock-up of it and caused complete confusion by issuing two different consignment numbers for the same package. 4 days later.......  A disappointment as in the past UPS have been pretty reliable.

The good news is that the body is at last safely in my hands and Jon has done a great job. The photos above don't really do justice to the depth of colour in the Shoreline Gold top. It looks superb. Jon had quite a job in removing an unattractive green burst from the front before being able to apply the Shoreline Gold then the tedious job of scraping the binding which has been done so incredibly well.

I'm looking forward to assembling the complete guitar but it will have to wait as I have to be in France for the whole of Sept. There might just be time for a test fit before I leave, just to wet the appetite.
    PHEW.... this is the news I've been waiting for! Thanks Jim, really glad it's safely in your hands at last and that you're happy with it!  =)

Gorgeous body, can't wait to see the fully built guitar. Top bound mahogany bodies with metallic/sparkle tops are flavour of the month for me at the moment. I've got a couple of blanks lined up to cut some myself,  but got to focus on getting a spraying solution back up and running again first.
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • Jimbro66 said:
    rexter said:

I use UPS for sending guitars outside of Europe. Never had a problem with collections but I always experience delays in the guitars getting through customs this end - they have my EORI number on file but call me EVERY time for it. Drop off points... Ha! Had same problem, the shop told me a parcel would be collected later that day (Friday) and it was still there Tuesday after (not helped by Bank Holiday). Was collected a day after it should've been delivered. UPS told me the shop should've called then to advise they had a parcel to be collected but they didn't... The shop denies this is their case, of course. Never using drop-off points again
    Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist