Metallica and Megadeth for an intermediate level player?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Alternate picking has worked for me, Im not changing now Ive got it nailed.

Massive shame the song on the album is like half a semi tone higher than standard turning, playing along sounds crap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282
    Matt_McG said:
    There's no reason why alternate picking should stop you playing it as groups of 3. 

Whether you start on an up (u - d - u / d - u - d) or a down you can still emphasise the 3 note groups.
    true but i find that harder than jsut down picking..i think it might be because i do a tiny bit of palm muting to rein in the low note
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    The rhythm part to Tears in a Vial is pretty easy, the solo is rock hard though.  

edited July 2018
    Thanks. I'll add that to the list.

I can play though ' bell tolls at full speed now which I'm very happy about. Has taken me about 3 weeks playing for about 20mins most day.

Moving on to Tout la monde and master of puppets now. Going to work on them both concurrently.

Im enjoying this alot, its a great feeling when it comes together.
    Cheers
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282
    Thanks. I'll add that to the list.

I can play though ' bell tolls at full speed now which I'm very happy about. Has taken me about 3 weeks playing for about 20mins most day.

Moving on to Tout la monde and master of puppets now. Going to work on them both concurrently.

Im enjoying this alot, its a great feeling when it comes together.
    Cheers
    ITheres something really satisfying about palying the chorus riff without moving your hands, so almost one finger per fret style.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited July 2018
    Tout le monde is going very well. I have the intro and more or less all of Mustaine's parts sorted inc the outro riffs. Need to keep going with the lead parts which will come with more practice. Its good fun to play along with the record.

Master of puppets is tough, i can play the intro at full speed now which im very happy about. However the 2nd part straight after the intro is very difficult to play at speed. Unsure if I'll ever be able to play it quick enough.

Im having the same issue with seek and destroy, half way though the song it speeds up around the 5th and 7th fret.

Are there any exercises i can do to help build speed or is it just a matter of hours of practice? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited July 2018
    Practice = Wrist strength / Muscle memory 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Guys, I could do with some, For Whom the Bell Tolls, advice please...

I've nailed the chords and heavier riffs. but I'm struggling to get the repetitive ones around the 9-12th frets up to speed and I'm convinced it's due to picking technique. I can play them at 80 to 90% speed using up down, but 100% is too fast, despite practicing I can't get it right, I lose coordination between my 2 hands after 2 or 3 bars.
    How should this be picked, regular up down, all down, or do I need to learn some sort of economy picking?

This is the part i'm struggling with, 

https://i.imgur.com/tiMlFna.png

Cheers

To be honest I'd just play that with a mixture of picking and legato. 
  • Sorry to necro this thread. The solo on ‘she wolf ‘ is a nice one to play but I used to have trouble with the main riff