Should I sell my LP?

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411

If it's tuning issues that are the problem then that's almost certainly a matter of getting the nut sorted.

I'd get a good set up and get the nut sorted and see what it is like after that.  You might struggle to sell on here if anyone cross references your for sale thread with this one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    People always say it's a nut issue with LPs but I've never found one that stays in tune - I think it's more of a design issue. I saw an Andertons vid once where Lee was basically saying he just had to accept he had to retune his super expensive custom shop LP after every couple of songs. And I've heard so many people say the same things - I've stopped trying to fix it. I've only had that problem with LPs. It's just the angle the strings have to take through the nut. I don't think it can ever be that stable.

I've sold it now, but I had an R8 that was rock solid.  I could take that out of the case and not need to tune it.  The Les Paul I had before that was fine as well.

The ES Les Paul I have now had tuning issues until I got the nut sorted.  The angle at the nut is not ideal, but with the nut cut right and a bit of nut sauce, they can be absolutely fine.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    I have to retune my Les Paul after one or two songs when the strings have acclimatised to the temperature of my hands compared to the room, after that it stays in tune for for the next hour or so of the first set. 

It certainly isn't the best design but it can be made as rock solid as a Telecaster in my experience. I won't tolerate any guitar with tuning instability, it's more important than any other feature. 

I really don't know why people claim it can't be made to work, haven't they noticed Gibsons being played on professional stages the world over for the last century or so? 

There are better designs and there is also user error. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    Well let's see the thing then....!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    ^ there's a piccy up the thread a bit.  =)

Yeah, to be fair it's probably not a huge issue (the tuning) and I could probably get it sorted but the thing has just sat in it's case for a year so it hasn't been a big priority and I don't have a convenient skilled person nearby that could check the nut for me. I think the Gibson QA is pretty good these days so I'd be surprised if the nut was very badly cut but I guess you never know. Perhaps some new strings and a squirt of nut sauce is all the is required but I have other guitars I prefer to play so I've not had the incentive to sort it out.

^ there's a piccy up the thread a bit.  =)

Yeah, to be fair it's probably not a huge issue (the tuning) and I could probably get it sorted but the thing has just sat in it's case for a year so it hasn't been a big priority and I don't have a convenient skilled person nearby that could check the nut for me. I think the Gibson QA is pretty good these days so I'd be surprised if the nut was very badly cut but I guess you never know. Perhaps some new strings and a squirt of nut sauce is all the is required but I have other guitars I prefer to play so I've not had the incentive to sort it out.

The nut on my ES Les Paul (2015) was utterly abysmal.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    Gretsch make some of my favourite, some of the most expensive and some of the most beautifully made guitars. In Japan too, where I’d
    put money on much better QC than the US and I don’t think one has ever left the factory with a satisfactorily cut nut. 

Drives me mad mad to see guitars of all makes let down by such a small yet vital piece. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    If you like les Paul's I'd keep it. I've thought of selling mine many times in the part but I'd be lost without it if I succumbed to selling for gas. Emotionally and physically  
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • AnderzAnderz Frets: 30
    If the guitar does not inspire you to pick it up and play regulary then what is the point? I have been there once with historic Gibson Les Paul custom 2001. It was cool but where I was going was not and I found I could do with out. It is still like that today. 

Do you see yourself trying to fit it in with where you are going and want to be musically?

Final thing. It is you guitar and your decision what happens to it not anyone else.
    Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    People always say it's a nut issue with LPs but I've never found one that stays in tune - I think it's more of a design issue. I saw an Andertons vid once where Lee was basically saying he just had to accept he had to retune his super expensive custom shop LP after every couple of songs. And I've heard so many people say the same things - I've stopped trying to fix it. I've only had that problem with LPs. It's just the angle the strings have to take through the nut. I don't think it can ever be that stable.
    Nah my two used to be rock solid, just depends on how the nut is cut I think. My SG is pretty stable as well but not quite as good, must be the flimsier construction or something.
  • So I tried to sell it but chickened out in the end. Couldn't quite bring myself to let it go :) I still lust after Les Pauls...so I kind of need to have one so that I don't buy any more.

On the tuning thing, I took it to my last band practice and I found I had to retune it for the first couple of songs but after that it was fine for the rest of the session. So maybe there's nothing much wrong with it. I might get it set up properly anyway.
  • Shitting shit. Tried to sell it again but couldn't go through with it. Again.

I need psychological help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 921
    @gearaddict ; I feel your pain. I've had, and moved on, 2 Gibson Les Paul Standards, 2 Epiphone Les Paul Standards and a Feline Lion Supreme. I really want to keep a LP, but I just don't seem to bond with them.

I have settled for the moment with a Collings 290, which feels better.
  • There is an argument for selling it if you’re not really using it, but then it doesn’t hurt to make yourself play it a bit more, gig it a couple of times, practice with it etc - you may find the tone etc wins you over and you end up keeping it. The Standard T is a great guitar.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    All my LPs have stayed in tune, the first thing I do is get the nut cut for 11s. They can be awkward to play sitting down, and you have to adjust your technique for the dusty end. But you can get used to these things. I struggle to change from Fender to Gibson because of the different string spacing at the bridge. That's the biggest difference imo
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
    If you are not playing it because of issues i.e action too high etc get it to a luither and get it sorted,then take it from there, if it plays great and you Dont play it, sell it ,I had a 79 lp custom ,my dream guitar, and i didn't get on with it ,So i sold it! I kept the korean lp epiphone custom because i pick it up all the time ! trust your gut instinct,it doesnt lie  go with gut not your head !
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Everybody should have a Les Paul under the bed.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Yeah, I am torn about LPs. I love the look and the tone, all my heroes played them and whenever I see someone playing one they look so comfy. But when I pick it up it feels like a big heavy awkward lump with a short neck and I can't see the fretboard the way I am used to because the whole thing sits further away from my body than other guitars. I can get used to it and it feels fine after a while. But I always reach for a different guitar when I fancy a quick play. 

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    Freebird said:
    Everybody should have a Les Paul under the bed.
    I have Les Dennis in the basement 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom