Jam making gear

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
Looking ahead to next weekend ... how much gubbins is it sensible to bring?

Guitars are a given, and I'll probably bring a cut-down pedal board. But what's the norm on the rest - stands, cables, amps etc.? Are there amps on site in all the rooms, or just the recording one? If it's bring-an-amp how raucous is it likely to get (5W Lionheart or 30W LCII?) etc.

Be gentle with me, it's my first time darling.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I thought this was going to be a thread about Kilner jars and funnels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    The trick is not to over boil it when making jam... 

There are amps on site, but a few people bought additionals last time and there seemed to be enough. I'd say by all means bring one, as part of the weekend is to have a gander/ try out different gear :) 
    The main recording room had a pretty solid backline that wasn't changed though, so amp would be jam rooms only mainly.

As for power, if it can keep up with a drum kit then sure should be fine. I bought a mini pedal board last time, but tbh, i don't think i actually used it except for the tuner... was all over the place so was basically plug & play where ever :)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637

I always take enough to be self sufficient - guitar - GUITAR STAND!!! - pedal board - cables, etc. I plug my AX8 into the PA though. That way I can join a jam or practice alone as needed. Also important to bring food/drinks - its a bit of a walk to the supermarket otherwise, and time during the day is best spend playing. 

Make sure you have a good guitar stand (or keep it in its case) - people are careful, but lazily propped up guitars against walls are always a risk. 

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Thanks. I didn't want to be "that guy" that turns up with loads of stuff that's not needed, but equally didn't want to be "that guy" who comes to the party but doesn't bring a bottle ...

I always take plenty of water to any event just in case, so that won't be a problem. I'll load the whole shooting match up (although still a cut-down "in the front" board, not the full frigging monster otherwise people will get pissed off with the setup time, i suspect).
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    We do usually have a chat about backline pre jam, are there sufficient amps in the studio?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    Based on the comments above, I'm going to stick my Lionheart combo in the car (subject to actually having the car - currently suspecting the garage failed to tighten something properly when replacing a suspension unit the other week).  That can live in a jam room if it's helpful.

Also, looking at my available time for this week, I'm probably just going to bring my full pedalboard, and a patch lead so I can tweak it to all go in the front rather than need to do the full in/loop/footswitch cabling routine. Although for the recording bits I'm expecting to just go straight into an amp, as nothing I'm involved with needs anything more than a bit of gain AFAICT.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    That's what the sort of rule was in Woking, straight in the front, though some pedal boards ended up in the room.

What we don't want is a 20 minute gap between songs as we go through the setlist while people get their "tone".
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    My tone is shit, I can get it instantly with anything ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

at Woking, I brought a lot of guitars - but that was pre-arranged with people in the casual rooms, and was a lot of fun.

In the main room - AX8 into the PA, sounded good and was easy. Next time it will be my Axe FX III in a rack - so easier to tuck away.

I think it depends on the songs, I could absolutely have plug and played on Teenage Kicks for example, but White Room and Beat It - would want some effects/small pedalboard.

At Woking, I think the whole thing worked very well in that regard - people were sensible, some added pedals etc. but no one took the piss and everyone was time sensitive.

I believe it's really important that we don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, for some of us (definitely me) - the chance to play loud with others is very rare and to be cherished, because of that I wanted a sound I was comfortable with, I (and a few others) put a lot of effort into having a pedalboard which would give that and at the same time was quick to deploy.

I've heard stories of people being more difficult with gear set-up, we should police those - not the great majority who just want a good time and a chance to hear something of their gear

• We ended up using 2 katanas for both the recordings and the gig. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    My main pedalboard is definitely too much aggro, so following on from Hudd I'm now building a "jam" board out of mini pedals that can all just go in the front of whatever's there, so is quick and easy. I think it's a reasonable compromise.

For the kind of serious session stuff that @alnico is talking about I'll be taking the big stuff, though, just so I know I've got everything at my disposal.  But that's a totally different proposition - horses for courses etc.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I've got a mini pedalboard that was kinda too much effort to plug in while jamming... Much easier to just go straight Into amp. 

But, will be looking into battery pack power supply so that might solve that issue.. 
    Will probably hassle custompedalboards over it later as he bought a rather pretty battery board ;)
    My pockets aren't deep enough for the one Chris brought along :)
  • Snags said:
    My pockets aren't deep enough for the one Chris brought along :)
    Still waiting for him to make me an inflatable pop up YBTB rig...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you