ORIGIN FX...OVERDRIVE

What's Hot

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2285
    damm73 said:
    I got the custom version and I love it. Forced a total rethink of my pedalboard and it's now the only OD pedal I have on there (not counting an HX effects and 3 fuzzes). 

You're not counting those? Ha ha, we won't either then!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • damm73damm73 Frets: 358
    Well I'm not using any of the drives in the HX and fuzz is not OD so yeah. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We’re filming a video with Simon Keats tomorrow, it’ll be mainly on the drive pedal, so any questions then let us know 
  • damm73damm73 Frets: 358
    edited June 2018
    Phoned Origin to ask about the behaviour I'm seeing with my footswitch and it turns out that it is by design.  You can actually control all four functions, i.e. mid boost, blend override, bypass state and active channel from remote switching devices like the G2 or ES8 using a remote switcher interface accessory. 

Alternatively, if you only need to control mid boost and blend override functions, you just need a proprietary switcher cable which has resistors in series with the tip and sleeve connections. 

It's all on their website here.  

These accessories are not available yet so I guess I'll have a go at making my own cable in the meantime.
    I've ordered mine, being delivered this Friday as I shall be in.
  • Here’s our video with Simon.
    https://youtu.be/QfA3k5aNsMM
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1275
    edited July 2018
    If anyone’s interested my Solo Of The Month entry this month is my Revival Drive. It’s not the full on cranked amp tone that most of the demos so far seem to concentrate on so if you want to hear a Strat doing some Jazzabilly type tone go and have a listen. 

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm38-2018-07
    Rowby1 said:
    If anyone’s interested my Solo Of The Month entry this month is my Revival Drive. It’s not the full on cranked amp tone that most of the demos so far seem to concentrate on so if you want to hear a Strat doing some Jazzabilly type tone go and have a listen. 

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm38-2018-07
    I like!
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    The more demos I watch the more I want one. Very close to pulling the trigger!
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Gagaryn said:
    The more demos I watch the more I want one. Very close to pulling the trigger!
    Ditto
    Been using mine daily. As it's for my home studio, I then had to go and spend another wedge on a TwoNotes Torpedo CAB, as none of my analog speaker sim boxes did it justice. My favourite sound so far can be found at 7.00 in this vid:

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Keefy said:
    Been using mine daily. As it's for my home studio, I then had to go and spend another wedge on a TwoNotes Torpedo CAB, as none of my analog speaker sim boxes did it justice. My favourite sound so far can be found at 7.00 in this vid:

One of the best videos I’ve seen 
    This is how I'm using mine, although I have to say the results don't sound as fab as Mr Tubbs here:

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    Keefy said:
    This is how I'm using mine, although I have to say the results don't sound as fab as Mr Tubbs here:
    Would you mind explaining it a bit more? Do you go direct for recording or live applications? Seriously considering giving it a try if I could pair my hx fx and maybe some clean amp emulation to go direct to FoH for a ultra small setup

You use the PWR AMP setting for going into a PA or DAW but you still need some kind of speaker simulation in between. If you are plugging into a guitar amp, you select EQ1 or EQ2 (and use the settings on the Custom panel if you have that model) to match the pedal to your amp.

If you are considering a purchase, it is well worth working through Simon Keats's videos, which start here:

• SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Sorry for reviving an old thread, but what are the views on this pedal now it’s been out a while?

I bought one last week  based on some YouTube reviews (I know, I know) , tried all of the recommended presets, and I’m a little bit underwhelmed. Am I missing something?
  • Sorry for reviving an old thread, but what are the views on this pedal now it’s been out a while?

I bought one last week  based on some YouTube reviews (I know, I know) , tried all of the recommended presets, and I’m a little bit underwhelmed. Am I missing something?
    Still got time to return it?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Sorry for reviving an old thread, but what are the views on this pedal now it’s been out a while?

Yes, but I’d rather not as I’m not a fan of returning stuff because I simply don’t like it. I’m hoping someone can point me in the direction of a “wow” setting. 
  • Sorry for reviving an old thread, but what are the views on this pedal now it’s been out a while?

Yes, but I’d rather not as I’m not a fan of returning stuff because I simply don’t like it. I’m hoping someone can point me in the direction of a “wow” setting. 
    Fair enough. Not something that has ever bothered me, personally. It's a lot of money to spend on something you don't like.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    What kind of drive are you after? I want to get a Marshall superlead a la Hendrix and the rd does it perfectly. But then, that drive isn’t as gainy as you might think. Careful working with the lows will help in combination with the EQ. 
    I must admit that I do still question the RD. 
    I do believe that the two channels are fundamental. The extra setting of mid boost and blend should help in a live context. 
    This is not an ethos overdrive. It is an excellent tool for recreating tones. I would imagine that other drives would provide a voicing that can support your technique (provide extra sustain, compression, dirt, breakup). 
    It might sound silly but a lot of my dirt sound comes from how I play. The Rd helps create an amp tone/reaction that makes it easier for my technique to sound dirty. Is some cases the RD sounds clean compared to a traditional overdrive. But the reaction to my playing has more dirt and noise than my direct to amp clean. 
    I get compression, balance and sustain from my playing technique. I get dirt from the percussive plectrum on strings or hitting all the strings together. 
    I am not a high gain player so the RD helps provide the arena I can play in via tone and drive range. 
    I use a fuzz face in a similar way, except the ff provides an additional rip roaring blast. Technically, the RD does too, although I believe that should belong to a ff into the RD. Perhaps I’m mistaken but manic depression is a ff into a superlead. You can hear the guitar volume pot increase for the solo and decrease afterwards, a little too clean in fact and markedly different from the first verse.
    im still uncertain about the bright caps. 
    I can not emphasise how much I use it to REcreate. Not necessarily create (I prefer clean amps for writing). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom