Fender Tweed Champ or Fender Princeton 68

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Thanks @crunchman I did consider putting a jensen alnico in as I assume more expensive and alnico = better but @mtb told me at woking he had gone back to ceramic in his tweed because it sounded better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11415

Alnico is nice.  I do like the sound, but for some things I think ceramic is better.  It does depend which Alnico as well.  If you don't need huge power handling then the Celestion Blue is the best guitar speaker there is, but that's a 12".

A P12R wouldn't break the bank if you did want to try Alnico.

@munckee - resurrecting this again.  There is a Weber 10F150 in the classifieds.  That is likely to be very good:

Thanks @crunchman having spent some serious time playing it over the weekend I'm going to stick with the celestion for a bit, the more I play the princeton the more I like it as it is.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31371
    When I sold my 68 Custom to my bandmate I put the original Celestion back in, I'd only put a few hours on it before changing it for an Eminence.

After a handful of gigs it started sounding awesome and I wish I'd never sold it to him or messed around with speakers to start with!

It depends what you want.  I wanted something a bit more in the classic Fender style.  The WGS is a definite improvement on the Celestion for me.  I got the amp second hand, so I don't know how well broken in the stock speaker was.  I suspect it was mostly home use before I got it, but I didn't change it immediately.

For me, the WGS is more detailed, and it's like taking a blanket off the amp.  I've not had a Weber 10", but I had a Weber 12F150 in a Hot Rod Deluxe several years ago, and it was superb.  I suspect it may even be better than the WGS, but it's not worth me changing mine out.  If that ad had been there just after I bought my Princeton, I would have been on it like a shot.

I do like the idea of more classic fender style but like it the way it is too.  Plus the weber is a 50 watt and my rudimentary understanding is putting in a bigger speaker will provide more headroom which is the last thing I want.