Six String Supplies - Guitar Electronics

What's Hot
sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Hi everyone,

I have been “lurking” on The Fretboard for a very, very long time and never had the confidence to dive in and get involved with the forum.

Having chatted to a few of the guys on the FB stand at the Birmingham Guitar Show in Feb, it’s time I got stuck in. 

My name is Ed and I run Six String Supplies - what started as hobby has evolved into a business. Six String Supplies deals in Guitar electronics - wiring kits, prewired harnesses and individual components.

Very niche I know but I can’t compete with other suppliers who literally sell every single guitar part imaginable under the sun.

May as well stick to what you know eh?

We sell high quality individual electronic components, unassembled wiring kits and prewired kits for those without the confidence to solder themselves.

we have a range of wiring guides and video tutorials on our website with the aim of showing others how to wire the kits themselves (it saves me having to solder them!) and most of our organic website traffic comes from people searching how to wire a particular guitar. 

Yes, it’s ultimately a business - but our website has a lot of free information. 

The business started out just from pure passion and has been growing steadily the past few months. 

i don’t believe in snake oil as sadly this
industry is full of it but ultimately believe that good quality electronics can make a big difference to your guitar. Switchcraft/CRL etc...the normal jazz. 

I’ll periodically update this thread with photos of my work and bits and bobs. 

Cheers all

Ed 
For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Welcome Ed.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Today I've been working on a Jimmy Page style harness order for an Epiphone Les Paul.

It uses 4 CTS push pull pots (some really don't like them, I think they are superb)

The kit allows multiple options including coil splitting and out of phase switching. There is probably too much available to use in a live situation having to faff around with 4 push pull pots but it seems popular enough.

I tend to leave colour coded pickup "pigtails" on the harness so when it comes to installing you simply solder your pickup wire to the pigtail......otherwise getting your pickups in when it is sat in the control cavity is a right ballache.

I really enjoy wiring these kits.....but sometimes they can take a couple of hours to fully wire and pack and it can get a wee bit tedious.

A lot of heat shrink tubing gets used (though not really visible in these photos)

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Welcome Ed.

A tip - put a clickable link to your website in your signature.  Makes it easy for people to find you on the www.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    cheers Tony. Done.

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    Hello again Ed, we met briefly at the Bristol Guitar Show last year :)
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    Keefy said:
    Hello again Ed, we met briefly at the Bristol Guitar Show last year
    Hi mate - apologies....I don’t remember. Most of last year’s show went right over my head:  I am so bad with names and I was all on my own on the stand...as I will be this year. Pop on the stand this year I’ll sort you out some plectrums and what not. Cheers!

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681
    Ive recently bought a strat wiring kit from Ed, totally recommended. First call for me in the future
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    daveyh said:
    Ive recently bought a strat wiring kit from Ed, totally recommended. First call for me in the future
    Glad you like it Dave

tFB Trader
    So for the past 6-7 months or so I have been doing the electronics for Lucem Guitars - Graeme is actually a trained/educated electrical engineer and sends me wiring diagrams of his various circuits. Basically, he doesn't have the time to solder his electronics so sub-cons it out to me! Lovely...

The standard circuit for Lucem models incorporates a master volume in series as well as individual tone/volume controls for each pickup.

Each volume control splits each humbucker.

Recently, I have provided him with a Jimmy Page circuit to fit his "Supermarine" Paradox (photos below) 

I'm a very big fan of his work (regardless of the fact he's a customer) but its great to see UK builders pushing the boundaries and designing unique shaped guitars. I genuinely believe we are truly spoilt for choice at the moment in the UK market with custom guitars....and pickups obviously.

Lucem do a Nick McCabe (The Verve) signature  so I was naturally thrilled to contribute. It's a fairly weird circuit....non-standard shall we say.

Each harness feautures Switchcraft toggle switches/jack, CTS pots, cloth wire/bus wire (the normal jazz blah de blah)

Got the hakko soldering station in the black Friday sales in November - what a steal...and worthy investment.

and here is the stunning guitar it went into. The Lucem Supermarine Paradox

that neck joint though.... <3 <3 <3

The above photos of the guitar don't do it justice as I've just screenshotted instragram....but if you look at his Facebook page, you see the whole thing in its beauty.

I appreciate this is probably boring AF for many members - but I love it!!

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    Keefy said:
    Hello again Ed, we met briefly at the Bristol Guitar Show last year
    Hi mate - apologies....I don’t remember. Most of last year’s show went right over my head:  I am so bad with names and I was all on my own on the stand...as I will be this year. Pop on the stand this year I’ll sort you out some plectrums and what not. Cheers!
    Cheers Ed - hoping to get there again this year, can't blame you for not remembering one person among hundreds!
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Good to FINALLY see you here, Ed ;)
    tFB Trader
    Cheers Scott @lonestar ;

tFB Trader
    Evening all!

For those of you who love building partscasters.

Premium wiring kits for those DIY enthusiasts.

Each kit features:

CTS "TVT" (true vintage taper pots)
    Switchcraft or CRL switches
    Switchcraft jack
    Orange drop capacitors
    Push back cloth wire/braided guitar wire.
    Heat shrink rubber tubing
    Wiring diagram

Treble pass capacitor is optional

Wiring guides available here
    Each guide includes photo step by step guide and a video on how to wire it up. 

I won't load a photo for each wiring kit....

Kits available for:

-Strat
    -Tele (3 and 4 way)
    - Les Paul (long and short)
    -ES-335
    - SG
    - Jazz Bass
    -Precision Bass
    -Les Paul/SG Jr

tFB Trader
    Playing catch up after one hell of a busy period sandwiched between a house move and a guitar show in the space of 3 days. 

Few prewired kits that left earlier today.

Custom job for a PRS Tremonti - Jimmy Page style kit

Next up, Strat with master vol, master tone and a blend control...

Classic Strat with treble pass capacitor on the volume.

and everyone's favourite and my soon to be enemy - Jimmy Page Les Paul.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Love the neatness of the wiring, and the "no mm wasted" approach!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Haha thanks. Yes whilst I love the CTS push pull pots, getting four of them in a Les Paul wth all the wiring can be a PITA.

tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    +1. 

Ed’s work is absolutely brilliant. Once I get the Junior stripped down I’m going to do away with the clip in wiring nonsense and get a new wiring setup from our man here. :)
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    TTony said:
    +1. 

Ed’s work is absolutely brilliant. Once I get the Junior stripped down I’m going to do away with the clip in wiring nonsense and get a new wiring setup from our man here. :)
    I'll sort you out Scott - I forgot to comment on your instagram post the other day about refinishing the pink LPJ...

DO IT BLACK!!

tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    TTony said:
    +1. 

I'll sort you out Scott - I forgot to comment on your instagram post the other day about refinishing the pink LPJ...

DO IT BLACK!!
    :) I was debating black with the tort guard... Uber cool. Buuuut, I think I’d be lynched for changing the colour 
  • maxdownmaxdown Frets: 2
    edited July 2018
    Just received and installed the Jimmy Page pre-wired assembly (and also the 3 way switch) into my recently acquired 2002 LP standard. I'd rate myself as 60% proficient with a soldering iron - but even I managed to get the job done with only the merest whiff of scorched laquer from one inadvertent dab of the iron tip to the guitar body!

One small thing I'd ask you to consider for that assembly Ed is that it would be great for the not so great solderers if you devised some sort of grounding tails or legs from both the Vol pots and maybe the bridge tone pot. Once the assembly is in place, the plastic covers on the lower pot on the DP pots gets in the way when trying to solder/ground the tailpiece ground wire to the BV pot, the pickup bare wires (both Vol pots) and the output jack ground (bridge tone pot).

I got round it by soldering some short shrinkwrapped tails onto the metal pot bodies that reached past the plastic covered lower pot before fitting the assembly. (Well OK I actually fitted it in place and then took it out again when I saw the problem - but the whole thing does need put in and taken out a good few times initially before doing any soldering anyway because you have to get the pot shafts set to the right amount of sticky outiness for your LP carve)

From that point on it was really easy to hook it all up 'from the top' with everything solidly anchored in place.

[edit] I do realise that it would probably be possible to hook up the pickup, bridge and output grounds with the assembly flipped over on the body of the guitar before fitting normally - but in my case the pickup wiring had been cut (by previous owner I assume) to leave not enough slack to do this - in fact I still had to solder some extensions on to the bridge pickup tails to reach the tails on the assembly [/edit]

I've a good sounding 50's wired LP now with all the Page #2 options should I feel like it.

I'd have likely given up trying to wire that assembly myself from scratch - really neat and handy job there Ed.

I highly recommend Ed/Six String Supplies!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom