does anyone know of sources for an inexpensive 'vox phantom' body blank?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• valevale Frets: 1052
    WezV said:
    for things like this i tend to start with a face on  picture and scale it up or down until a few known dimensions match what they should

from the pic at the start i would use scale length, string spacing and pickup size (since it seems to have standard single coils)

you can do it in Paint with trial and error and lots of printing, or use a better image editing suite to scale up more accurately.

once you have it the right size, print it out and stick it onto a piece of MDF to make  template (don't use a waterbased glue - doublesided tape can work well)
    thanks @WezV

that's the route i'm thinking about going if i can't find a tried and tested template.
    i have experimented in photoshop with superimposing clear 'graph paper' type gridded layers to scale. eg using a known scale length (distance in inches from nut to bridge) as my benchmark to get the grid an inch to a square.
    but there's the problem of how barrelled the photo is. wide angle lenses, even slightly can stretch scale as you go out from the centre. when you are scaling up from a grid small errors get magnified significantly.

so i was just trying to establish some known good breadths widths and depth so i could get it as right as possible. if i can't get them, well hey ho, i may plough on or it may give me second thoughts. but it seemed a next stage thing i could try, to move things along and see.
    Have you tried Brandoloni?
    i think their bodies start at £150, though those prices haven't been updated (nor the site apparently) in quite a while, so there's a question mark over whether they are still even alive as a company. i may give them a buzz tomorrow just to see. sheer curiosity.

re price, there are some decent phantom copies out there that turn up used around £150-£200 (revelation, eko, hutchins, etc) which i would rather go for.
    as i'm not a vox collector so not worried about period correct. on a v modest budget too.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16650
     The method I suggested is one I often use.  It gets close enough if a decent pic is chosen and you check at least 3 measurements at different points.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
     The method I suggested is one I often use.  It gets close enough if a decent pic is chosen and you check at least 3 measurements at different points.

i agree. 'best of three' policy will give a decent enough guesstimate in the absence of data. will see. may even have a play this weekend if i feel up to it. concentration comes and goes.

doesn't help either that the phantom shape is conspicuously bastard re lack of symmetry or obvious angles or circles within circles etc.

bloody art students (Vox & London Design Centre c1962) and their post-modern clever-cleverness!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    vale said:
    guesstimate
    Ach y fi.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    vale said:
    guesstimate
    Ach y fi.
    gesundheit!