Coffee grinders!! School me!

What's Hot
I have just purchased an aeropress and at the minute I'm using pre ground coffee but want to get into grinding my own. 

Can anyone recommend a good (boot cheapish) coffee grinder! I only have one cup a day of that has any bearing on it! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 6953
    The important thing with coffee grinding is to get the right size of grind for the coffee brewing system.  Filter and cafetière require a coarse grind, whereas espresso requires a fine grind.   
    Aeropress is medium fine (not as fine as espresso).

A De’Longhi KG79 burr grinder should do the trick; not too expensive and you can control the grind size and amount dispensed easily.  If you become caffeine crazed and get into espressos you may need to go upmarket to get a sufficiently fine grind.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Get a burr grinder, not a cheaper blade “grinder”. With a burr grinder who can choose what size you want the grounds, and it produces them to roughly the same size. A blade grinder just smashes them about a bit, and leaves broken beans, dust, and everything in between. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    I had the Delonghi. Very noisy, very messy. The Bodum 10903 is £20ish more but much better. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've still got my Delonghi. You can have it for £25.67 delivered.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Mine’s the Bodum
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Sporky said:
    That’s a very specific price, and after you’d given it such a glowing review ;)

@shaunyshawn1234 - bag it; it might not be as good as the Bodum, but it’ll get you started at minimal cost.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811
    burrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Sporky said:
    That's a very generous offer and one that I make take you up on!  Just how noisy is the machine? My usual time to make a coffee is around 6:30am with two toddlers and a wife in bed! 

Does a freshly ground bean really make that much difference? 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775

Like the difference between chateau Lafite Rothschild and Blue Nun

(fresh bean zealot here. Bodum for me. C. 10 years and still going strong)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    That's a very generous offer and one that I make take you up on!  Just how noisy is the machine? My usual time to make a coffee is around 6:30am with two toddlers and a wife in bed! 

It was quieter than my last kettle at full chat.

Definitely worth grinding beans fresh - that makes more of an improvement than anything else.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Cols said:
    The important thing with coffee grinding is to get the right size of grind for the coffee brewing system.  Filter and cafetière require a coarse grind, whereas espresso requires a fine grind.   
    Aeropress is medium fine (not as fine as espresso).

A De’Longhi KG79 burr grinder should do the trick; not too expensive and you can control the grind size and amount dispensed easily.  If you become caffeine crazed and get into espressos you may need to go upmarket to get a sufficiently fine grind.
    Best thing about the KG79 is how easy it is to mod it to get a finer grind  :)
    It is noisy, but I just assumed that all grinders were going to be.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 397
    I use the Hario Skerton - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hario-Medium-Coffee-Grinder-Ceramic/dp/B001802PIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533851599&sr=8-1&keywords=hario+skerton - really love it, makes a huge difference. I'm a massive Aeropress fan - treat yourself to some metal filters, too - for a couple of quid, you can make it even nicer.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    edited August 2018
    benecol said:
    I use the Hario Skerton - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hario-Medium-Coffee-Grinder-Ceramic/dp/B001802PIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533851599&sr=8-1&keywords=hario+skerton - really love it, makes a huge difference. I'm a massive Aeropress fan - treat yourself to some metal filters, too - for a couple of quid, you can make it even nicer.
    My one cracked after 6months use.  Was a good bit of kit while it worked though.

Replaced it with this http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7243664
    edited August 2018
    Cols said:
    Sporky said:
    That’s a very specific price, and after you’d given it such a glowing review
    It does the job fine, but I'd say if you're buying new the extra for the Bodum is worth it to me.

The Bodum is far from silent - I had a manual grinder before (a Tiamo I think, looked identical to the Hario above) which was far quieter but a bit faffy - but it's noticeably quieter than the Delonghi. 
  • @Sporky if you're not in a rush to shift the grinder, I will see cash I've got at the end of the month and get back to you! 
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Perfect timing - my blade grinder has just given up the ghost so will look at these Burr thingies.

Cheers chaps

• I also have a Hario, great piece of kit can grind 2 shots worth in about 5 mins or 2 mins if I use the cordless drill
    @Sporky if you're not in a rush to shift the grinder, I will see cash I've got at the end of the month and get back to you! 
    It's been on top of a kitchen cupboard since I got the Bodum, so no rush...
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    For an Aeropress you should use a very fine grind. For that purpose only I buy the pre-ground Lavazza as the other brands are more coarse.
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    I always used a Porlex with my Aeropress and was very happy with the results once I'd got everything dialled in. As someone above mentioned, get hold of one of those metal filters and you'll be laughing.