Avalon Gold Series guitars any knowledge

Had a play on a Gold Series Avalon today & was quite taken by it, headstock had a gold Avalon decal, label inside said "made in Avalon", think the date was 2006, cedar top & mahogany back & sides. At the moment I am confused where these were made, some say the Czech factory of Furch some others suggest Ireland, I would like a little more info as it may come up for sale, thanks, mike b.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    I’ve been reliably informed that the gold series was made about 50 miles from me in Northern Ireland 
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690

Aside from potential price, does it really matter where it was made if you like it that much?

I have an Avalon D2-20 and it is outstanding!!

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    Hey @wrinkleygit ; Avalon Gold's were made in Northern Ireland as @lonestar says. They are great guitars, which, despite their simple looks wipe the floor off many other guitars five times their price. Avalon did a silver series which IIRC were made by Furch in the Czech republic - they too are great "mass market" guitars but not in the same league as the Golds or later Legacy models. Steve and Jim at Avalon are immensely helpful - if you need any info on a specific guitar just drop them an email. 

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • simey83simey83 Frets: 13
    edited August 2018
    I live about 20 miles from the Avalon factory. The gold's were made at the factory in Northern Ireland. And as @Anchorboy said, I believe it is the Silver Series that was made in the Czech Republic, or might have been Korea. I can't recommend their guitars enough! I own a L325C Legacy Jumbo Redwood, which I bough new from them back in 2006, and it is just a stunning!! I haven't played anything that sounds as good yet! To me anyway

Jim is great, if you drop him an email with the serial or model number he will let you now everything about it - jim@avalonguitars.com

Cheers
    Simon
    edited August 2018
    Just found this

a thread about their guitars, and a guy who used to work there said;

"There were 2 tiers of Avalon. Avalon Gold that were made by us in the former Lowden workshop in Newtownards, Northern Ireland. And Avalon Silver which were made to a fairy high spec put in place by us by Cort Guitars in Korea."
    "Avalon Gold were made by the same people and to the same quality using the same quality materials as Lowden Guitars. Avalon Silver was a budget option to cover the low end market and were made by Cort Guitars."

Cheers

edited August 2018
    So, I just popped Jim a wee email there and this was his response;

Hi Simon, The vast majority were made by us in Newtownards, they all have a serial number like 'A00396' or similar but there were about 150 Gold Series guitars made under license for us that were shipped to the US market, those 150 Gold's had a different serial number and an Abalone rosette, that was about 12 years ago and I think the serial numbers started with a '22' and were about 6 or 8 digits long. Hope this helps, Cheers Jim

• thanks for the info guys, if it comes up for sale I think it might be worth another look, the build date was definately 2006 & the serial number I think started with a 2 not a letter, it did have a couple of small splits on the top, but it did play & sound great, mike.