NAD - Fender Bassbreaker 15

OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
Well, actually it was last week, but picked up a 2nd hand Bassbreaker 15. I've got sick of my lugging my Deville around only to have the volume set at bugger all. I played a Bassbreaker 15 a few times and liked it and its lighter and more managable.

Got to say it sounds much better with pedals than the Deville (particularly fuzz) and the onboard drive/gain structure is very useable, far better than the usual Fender drive sound. It also has effects loop (which I don't use) and DI with cab sim, sounds better than usual DI, but still not as good as a mic. EQ is a bit more effective than the Deville and I'm not missing the OTT bass/bottom end of the Deville

Going to be interesting to see how it copes volume wise. Most venues I play nowadays have house PA and will be able to mic it, but it also has the ability to plug into a cab without defeating built in speaker. Will keep my Deville for the odd gigs that require the volume, but have no PA, and also because it's worth fook all. So much for my attempt at one in, one out policy :lol: 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    That's a win then! I'd be interested to know how the circuit compares to other Fender amps, but I can't see a schematic online.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    They're supposedly based on the Bassman sound with more of a Marshall/high gain twist, weren't the early Marshalls developed from the Bassman? Not played many old school Marshalls, but the drive sounds/voicing on the Bassbreaker aren't a million miles away from those of the Marshall Blues Breaker/JHS Moring Glory pedals.
  • Yeah had one of these amps. Actually quite surprised by how good it was. The V-type speaker was lovely, with a nice chime to the top end. Really good with a strat, but I found the cab became a little muffled with a Les Paul, but in all ways light years ahead of a blues junior.

my biggest gripe with the amp is the choices for a speaker swap are limited due to the space between speaker & tubes.

If you get the chance try this amp with a thorpy  peacekeeper in front, it’s really quite something.