Holy Cow !! What the f*ck have I done? (new incoming vintage amp content)

What's Hot

Comments

• Woooooow. That's awesome dude.
    Mattie, 21 year old guitarist and teacher at https://mgrmusic.com/guitar-lessons/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    It’s at FedEx in Cannock!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• jimificationjimification Frets: 160
    edited July 2018
    Gassage said:
    Lovely, thanks.

"Fingers...you're looking for a really heavy box with "Eric Johnstone" written on the side....and no shooters!"
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    At least you can be safe in the knowledge that it’s too heavy for them to  ignore the ‘Fragile’ stickers and throw it around...

....they’ll use the forklift.

;)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Gassage said:
    What do I want a bass amp for?
    No idea, but I believe the Ampeg in the auction is a 100 watt guitar amp head. :)
    He used a an Ampeg guitar amp?  Not heard of that before...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Will it make you sound like him now ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    edited August 2018
    Update:

THe EJ landed. Literally must have been dropped from the plane! Some damage in transit- the speaker baffle batons came loose and the baffle was 'swinging' under the behemoth weight of the JBL's.

So, I took it to Steve Grosvenor, the famed Vox historian/tech in Brum who many know and love here.....

Steve rings me; 'James- is this a reissue or a clone or something? It's bloody brand new inside....'

He then spent half a day dating the innards- every single component was either totally orig or replaced (through usablity) to Sprague or Allesandro components (as needed), every important piece was original (the reverb tank looks like it was just made but is 53 yrs old!).George Alessandro has signed the chassis and dated every service.

Every original label is inside too.

Steve's Verdict- the best vintage amp I have ever seen in 40 years- and the best sounding. 11/10.

Got it home- loud is not quite the word. It makes a DR103 or lazy J80 seem inaudible. Strident, chimey, detailed LOUD.

It'll spund great arpund 3 on the vol, which is fine, but it still shifts a lot of air.

Simply one of the most spectacularly big and detailed sound I've ever heard. Amazing.

(will swap for a Kemper and £47 your way).

1reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    That's brilliant mate congratulations
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71954
    Gassage said:

THe EJ landed. Literally must have been dropped from the plane! Some damage in transit- the speaker baffle batons came loose and the baffle was 'swinging' under the behemoth weight of the JBL's.

So, I took it to Steve Grosvenor, the famed Vox historian/tech in Brum who many know and love here.....

Steve rings me; 'James- is this a reissue or a clone or something? It's bloody brand new inside....'

He then spent half a day dating the innards- every single component was either totally orig or replaced (through usablity) to Sprague or Allesandro components (as needed), every important piece was original (the reverb tank looks like it was just made but is 53 yrs old!).George Alessandro has signed the chassis and dated every service.

Steve's Verdict- the best vintage amp I have ever seen in 40 years- and the best sounding. 11/10.

Got it home- loud is not quite the word. It makes a DR103 or lazy J80 seem inaudible. Strident, chimey, detailed LOUD.

It'll spund great arpund 3 on the vol, which is fine, but it still shifts a lot of air.

Simply one of the most spectacularly big and detailed sound I've ever heard. Amazing.
    Lucky the baffle didn’t break! They’re quite fragile. Although replacing it isn’t the end of the world if it does.

Not too bad given the damage they did to your (much lighter) Vibroverb though... and that wasn’t even shipped internationally.

The Twin sounds like it’s fantastic - they’re my favourite of all the Fender combos anyway, but this one sounds like it’s something very special.

Try to hang on to this one ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    I think I speak for us all when I say I am so jealous........
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    Gassage said:

I think the tone has addled his brain.
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:

Lucky the baffle didn’t break! They’re quite fragile. Although replacing it isn’t the end of the world if it does.

Not too bad given the damage they did to your (much lighter) Vibroverb though... and that wasn’t even shipped internationally.

The Twin sounds like it’s fantastic - they’re my favourite of all the Fender combos anyway, but this one sounds like it’s something very special.

Indeed.

@ICBM- if I decide to attenuate, what's your advice ? Thorpy reckoned the Fryette?

I''' try and get to a jam and bring it.

Gassage said:

@ICBM- if I decide to attenuate, what's your advice ? Thorpy reckoned the Fryette?
    THD Hotplate, 4-ohm model. The best one I've heard for Fender BF-type amps.

The Fryette is a dummy load and re-amp, not really an attenuator.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    Gassage said:

THD Hotplate, 4-ohm model. The best one I've heard for Fender BF-type amps.

The Fryette is a dummy load and re-amp, not really an attenuator.
    Deffo 4ohm?

Gassage said:

Deffo 4ohm?
    Yes, it's a 4-ohm amp and although the Hotplate is a little low side for its nominal impedance, Fenders were designed for a low mismatch so it's ideal.

I know, the 4-ohm is red and you really wanted the purple 8-ohm one ;).

If you already have an 8-ohm one it should be fine though, especially if you don't crank it into overdrive.

ICBM said:
    Gassage said:

Deffo 4ohm?
    Yes, it's a 4-ohm amp and although the Hotplate is a little low side for its nominal impedance, Fenders were designed for a low mismatch so it's ideal.

I know, the 4-ohm is red and you really wanted the purple 8-ohm one ;).

If you already have an 8-ohm one it should be fine though, especially if you don't crank it into overdrive.

Overdrive? I reckon you'd hear me in Scotland

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Gassage said:
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:

Indeed.

I''' try and get to a jam and bring it.
    Deluxe Reverb! :0)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Roysterdoyster Eric Johnson you say?

• Gassage said:
    @Roysterdoyster Eric Johnson you say?
    Wow.....not sure how I missed this. Unbelievable! Although make sure the fuses are in the right way round....sounds completely bollocks if not!  :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You gotta be f’kin kidding me - holy shite..

Speechless..