Korg Volca Series

What's Hot
Hey guys

Thinking about moving into some electro/synth type directions, mainly just for messing around at home and maybe for accompanying/recording alongside my guitar. 

The Korg Volca series appeals on lots of levels and tbh the keys/bass/beats all appeal in slightly different ways. 

Anyone got one that they want to comment on, particularly for newbies? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    Mate, Im a newbie too in this field, and I tried the Volca.
    Feels a bit like a toy, but great value for money especially used...

My brief journey so far has taken me into more expensive (surprise surprise) territory, and I have settled on the following;

1.) Teenage Engineering OP-1
    A stunning and addictive and fun instrument. Truly portable with a HUGE battery life (months). Built like a tank

2.) Elektron Digitakt/Digitone
    If there is a sound in your head, its in one of these. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I got the beats one from a raffle. It's neat but limited. Annoying is the small output jack. Honestly I'd go for a minibrute, korg monosynth or a behringer model D for not uch more.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I have the Volca Sample and it is awesome. Really simple to use even if (like me) you're new to the concept. Considering getting the FM next.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    Cheers guys. I think I'm going to hold off getting one just now but purely because I've spent an obscene amount on pedals recently. Will pick up a Beats later in the year I reckon. 

Cheers
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    My Keys and Bass are fab. I would like the FM but not too keen on the Beats. Discontinued Akai Tomcat is a good cheap alternative for analog drums.
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 373
    I've just ordered the FM to go with the keys, beats and bass. Out of the three I've got I'm finding the bass most useful, particularly when using the keystep arp.

I'm struggling with the beats having no way to go between patterns automatically, so thinking of getting a controller to use with that. Any recommendations?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    I've just ordered the FM to go with the keys, beats and bass. Out of the three I've got I'm finding the bass most useful, particularly when using the keystep arp.

I'm struggling with the beats having no way to go between patterns automatically, so thinking of getting a controller to use with that. Any recommendations?

I have the same problem with the beats. There are lots of software options but I haven't tried any hardware sequencers.

One thing to consider is whether or not a Volca Sample would be a better choice. It has "song mode" which lets you chain multiple patterns. I'm probably going to get one, its only a matter of whether its an addition to or a replacement of my beats.

@UnclePsychosis ; I still use mine as a complicated metronome, but would love something to help it be more than it is. Beatstep pro looks like it could do the business but need to explore it in person.

Just bought a pocket operator sampler for the ability to chain sections and the fact that I could then practice on the train and at lunch.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited August 2018
    this is a timely thread as i (too) am thinking about my next step and volcas are kind of involved.

basically, i have the volca bass, which is lots of fun and hits the spot re kinds of sounds i'm after (1970s/1980s electro), and the level of functionality i can deal with (like bottons switches and dials, not sub-menus within submenus).
    i like the volca idea and at £75 used each it's easy to build up in bits, which was my plan.

but... dilemma... i am now at the point where i am wondering whether i actually should get another (until i have three maybe), or would i be wiser sitting on my hands for a while (year etc) until the behringer D starts appearing used (sub £250 anyway)?

i save £20 most months so i can treat myself to a £200 big thing once a year. anything else i want has to be covered by selling something, which focuses my desire and keeps me minimal-optimal.

can anyone who has owned 'a suite of volcas' and moved onto a one-stop-shop unit advise? (the OP and me)

i've got a microbrute for classic analog monosynth, but it's no frlls, no tricks great oscillation (no sampler, no drums), hence the flirting with the volca line for the extras.

not meaning to distract your thread or original question @UnclePsychosis but as comments have been made along lines of 'get an all in one', any replies to this tangent comment may help you decide whether you want to go the volca route at all.

as for the bass i have, it's a great first stop intro to using a bass sequencer. i don't think you would be disappointed. very intuitive, very easy to hook up to other things, great sounds. not expensive used £70-80 maybe. good youtube demos for it abound.

the only drawback is that once you have had it for a while you start thinking 'wouldn't it be cool to have soemthing just like this but for drums, samples, etc' and then you're hooked.

and then you have to weigh up whether that bitty approach makes sense, longterm. which was why i added my words. as i'm maybe that half step ahead of you in exploring the volca route, and can see just a bit further around the corner so can describe the dilemma approaching.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    For me the volcas didn't open up until I got got my keystep and synced it with my FM and beats, then I felt like I was getting a lot of use out of the volcas.

So I'd consider getting a controller if you are getting another volca, and defo check out the FM. As for bigger synths, I'm currently exploring this idea myself and deciding the route to go down. The korg monologue and minilogue get a lot of love and have v the ability to be used as a controller down the lube if you invest in the model D.
  • So I've done a bit of splurging over the last few months (mainly by purging unnecessary guitar pedals) 

I started with a Volca Keys and very quickly added a Volca Beats. I then went a bit nuts and bought a Korg Monologue. 

I'm now in something of a quandary as to what to do next. The Beats is really cool but a little bit limited in comparison to the Volca Sample. I suspect I will end up with the latter at somepoint, not sure if the Beats will stay ad well. 

The monologue is clearly a step up from the volcas as you'd expect. I thought when I got it I'd be able to sell the Volca Keys and get either a Sample or a cheap polysynth to replace it but there's a couple of things the Keys does that I don't think the Monologue does - primarily syncing the LFO trigger to the sequencer steps.

This has gone a bit steam of consciousness really - ultimately I like the volca series a lot but they really come into their own with either an external sequencer or controller. The problem with doing that is that you're adding to the cost, or requiring software at which point you may as well just use software beats and synths ..? 

For me I think I'll be very happy with a combo of sample/monologue/some form of polysynth. Potentially add a Beats and/or Keys on top and I'll be laughing. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725

I'm now in something of a quandary as to what to do next. 

Elektron Digitakt.

• octatonic said:

I'm now in something of a quandary as to what to do next. 

Elektron Digitakt.

Would love to. 

Donations to the Psychosis Synth Fund desperately needed.
  • I’ve been looking into beats and monologue recently also to jam along with an Op-1 i have, this is a thread i can get into. Model D from behringer has also caught my eye. 

Theres a stack of videos on youtube of people live jamming with various combinations of volcas/monologues/Pocket operators and the like. That might give you a good indication where to go next and what plays nice with what. 
  • rprrpr Frets: 308
    edited August 2018
    I've got a Yamaha QY8 lying about, was messing about with old tech a few year back. It's a small sequencer/backing track device from (I think) mid 90s.  Woefully under-powered by today's standards and bordering on useless...However I recently came across a video that used said device to control Volca keys and beats.  
    Best to skip to the 8 minute mark for Volca action, rest is protracted waffle 

Anyway I was vaguely planning to put in the classifieds, for not much money,(£20 + postage) using the Volca angle as a pitch.  It's kinda primitive and you really need a MIDI keyboard to get the best out of it, unless step time notation's your thing, but its cheap and sorta fits in with the ethos
      Any use @UnclePsychosis ? (or indeed anybody)