Coffee grinders!! School me!

What's Hot

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I've got an old Dualit one. Although it looks completely different from that Bodum one, strangely the grinding mechanism looks identical! The timer on mine is knackered now so I have fiddled with it so it is always on and control it with the mains switch!. :-) I've had it about 20 years and it is used daily so I've had my moneys worth, it does a great job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So I'm kinda getting the hang of this aeropress doowhicky and I've got to say, it's unreal! It shouldn't be this easy to make a very good coffee at home! Metal filter is on its way too! 

I think I'm going to hold fire on a bean grinder for now and stick to the  pre ground for a bit. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I think I'm going to hold fire on a bean grinder for now and stick to the  pre ground for a bit. 
    When you get your grinder I think you'll regret waiting. Getting mine was the single biggest improvement in my morning cup of coffee since trading in the jar of kenco for the an espresso machine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598

Does a freshly ground bean really make that much difference? 
    Like the difference between Mexican and Custom Shop.  ;)

Mrs merlin and I have a Eureka. Not cheap but bloody brilliant. 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    So I'm kinda getting the hang of this aeropress doowhicky and I've got to say, it's unreal! It shouldn't be this easy to make a very good coffee at home! Metal filter is on its way too! 

I agree.   Not everyone is a fan as its not proper espresso, but its a hell of a lot better than the majority of the coffee/coffermakers sold in the UK with a lot less faff.     It just takes a few goes to perfect your method.   

Mine has been going strong for 2 years of making 2 cups a day.  I have had to change the seal once in that time as it started feeling very loose.   I have had numerous machines in my life, none have been used as consistently as the aeropress

I have not tried the metal filter... just use the paper ones, but run them under the hot tap first.

• Wirecutter’s guide is great.  You can order the Baratza Encore off Amazon. Try setting it at 14 for aeropress.

The Baratza grinders are great, because you can get spare parts, and the website even has guides on repairing them. I love mine. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329

Does a freshly ground bean really make that much difference? 

yes cos the Aliphatic acids evaporate quite quickly after release.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Roland said:
    Has anyone tried roasting their beans?
    Yep; I used a popcorn maker of all things.  Worked a treat.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    We just get the shop to grind ours.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • robgilmo said:
    We just get the shop to grind ours.
    But then it sits around oxidizing until you use it. Much better to grind right before brewing. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Roland said:
    Has anyone tried roasting their beans?
    I had a go with a couple of low tech methods.  Never managed to get an even roast though.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I’ve tried loads, but I’m not gonna tell you what was good cos you used the term “School me”. So neeeeeh.
  • I’ve tried loads, but I’m not gonna tell you what was good cos you used the term “School me”. So neeeeeh.
    Haha You're obvs not down with the kids then!! 

Please do share your grinder knowledge!! 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I’ve tried loads, but I’m not gonna tell you what was good cos you used the term “School me”. So neeeeeh.
    Haha You're obvs not down with the kids then!! 

Please do share your grinder knowledge!! 
    :D
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    I tried roasting my beans and the tin blew up.
  • I have the Bodum burr grinder which is excellent for a cafetière, but it has unfortunately gone dead after three years of use and out of warranty. Will probably buy another one. 
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    When I lived in France and Holland ground coffee was cheap as chips as more people used it,it's still a bit
    niche and clique here hence it's expensive.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    I bought one of these about 6 months ago: 

https://www.johnlewis.com/sage-the-smart-grinder-pro-coffee-grinder/p1591194?sku=234053005&s_kwcid=2dx92700035597778395&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjdqO96Do3AIV5pXtCh0L5gl3EAQYASABEgJS0fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But they were £200 then! It’s a great machine. The main advantage for me is that it grinds just enough for one cup at a time. Totally fresh every time. Adjustable for all sorts of machines from filter machines to proper espresso machines.