Could you play this solo ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
Our band does 'Smooth' by Santana and I improvise the solos, but I'd love to be able to get the second solo spot on as there's something about it, particularly the run at 3:19 onwards, that just sounds lovely.

The solo in question starts at 3:06....  Would you be able to play this, and if not, how many hours do you think it would take you ?

I can do it at half speed after a fashion, but I think my fingers just don't have the dexterity to ever get it to full speed :-(

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    I could do a good enough job of it. The "speed" of it is mainly the Tremolo picking bit as opposed to any sweep/shred etc. The other bits sound more complicated than they are, it's mainly Pentatonic with bends and sustain.

I can't help you other than to just slow it down in the audio and really study it and see/hear how you could do an acceptable version of your own.

If it sounds good it is good and I doubt the punters will give a shit as long as you don't play like a Les Dawson special.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Played it many times in cover bands.

The tremolo picking isn't hard- you just have to have a decent grounding in alternate picking.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    Yes, it’s Tremolo picking up the G string. Start at with E on the 9th fret. Move up in semitones to the A on the 14th fret, jump to the B, bend it a semitone, and resolve to A.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    Now my weaknesses are showing...  I’ve never heard of tremolo picking and I’m guessing that alternate picking just means ‘down, up, down, up’ etc.

I’m self taught.  Never had a lesson in my life.  The limit of my tuition is spending days working through tab of a solo that’s too difficult and speeding it up slowly.  Any soloing “skills” I have have been acquired doing this.
  • If you're referring to the ascending chromatic line, I play it like the guy in the clip below at 45s. So it's an extreme form of tremolo picking in that it's done in octaves, as opposed to single notes. The only way I can get that amplitude of motion is by moving my whole arm like the guy in the clip.

It's not a competition.
  • Not helpful to your quest but I do love this album, having always been non plussed about Santana generally
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    @stratman3142 I'm referring to the fast bit just before the chromatic octaved run.  I can manage the rest fine but that rapid sequence of picks and bends is giving me grief.

I know I can get it in the end with my usual method of playing it on a loop at a speed I can manage then slowly increasing the tempo until I'm at full speed, but that takes days....  Literally days of playing the same 2 or 3 bars over and over and over and.....

I'm sure there must be a more efficient method of learning stuff than this.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    @stratman3142 I'm referring to the fast bit just before the chromatic octaved run.  I can manage the rest fine but that rapid sequence of picks and bends is giving me grief.

I know I can get it in the end with my usual method of playing it on a loop at a speed I can manage then slowly increasing the tempo until I'm at full speed, but that takes days....  Literally days of playing the same 2 or 3 bars over and over and over and.....

I'm sure there must be a more efficient method of learning stuff than this.

I have to be honest. I improvise most of the solo :). I sometimes find it very tricky trying to get another player's exact phrasing so I do something in a similar vein.

If I set my mind to attempting a close copy, it would probably take me quite a while if the phrasing doesn't come naturally to me. Then I usually get the notes and phrasing in my head at slower speed (if it doesn't come naturally) then jump to trying to play it a full speed.

It's not a competition.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited August 2018
    Actually this is among Santana’s easiest solos, I think. His earlier stuff had more variety but this is really just a few classic turns of phrase of his. Once you have his style under your fingers this will be an absolute piece of cake. Play along to loads of Santana, in time you’ll get familiar with all his licks.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    @Emp_Fab ;it's relatively simple, but not if it's not stuff you haven't tried before. Break it down into sections and learn it like that maybe? I have a full transcription if you want it and don't have one already. The other thing is that sometimes to make something sound good, you may have to practice it for days/weeks/months, and it's just sheer hard work that'll get you there, but that's half the fun (in my opinion!).
  • Start with the last phrase of it. Once you've nailed the last bit, add the second last bit. Then the third last, keep going until you've done the whole thing.

When learning things like this its always easier to go from the tricky bit (that you can't play yet) to an easier bit (that you've already taught yourself) rather than the other way around.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Emp_Fab said:
    Now my weaknesses are showing...  I’ve never heard of tremolo picking and I’m guessing that alternate picking just means ‘down, up, down, up’ etc.

I’m self taught.  Never had a lesson in my life.  The limit of my tuition is spending days working through tab of a solo that’s too difficult and speeding it up slowly.  Any soloing “skills” I have have been acquired doing this.
    This is actually the correct use of the term "tremolo", ie the rapid playing of a note or notes.

All modulation of the signal should really be termed vibrato. 

Tremolo has come to mean variation in volume; it should really be referred to as amplitude vibrato.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    It's Easy .......just keep practising
    Learn to slant your pick backwards for speed tremolo picking and it is easy..........loads of online technique lessons for the pick slanting
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    No, but hat-tip to Rob Thomas, I do like his writing.