Car Insurance Prices Rant

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    The reason TPFT and TPO policies cost more is because hardly anyone offers them anymore. 
    This is probably in response to falling demand. 

TPO only ever made sense for insuring the sort of deathtrap banger cars that emissions legislation and the 2009 Scrappage Scheme have removed from the roads. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11410

Third party used to make sense for new drivers - especially young ones.  A lot of my friends rolled cars or wrapped them around trees etc when I was young.  If the insurance companies don't have to pay out for those kind of things, it should be cheaper.

Most of us on here seem to be slightly older than the boy racer demographic.  I'd be interested to see what the quotes would look like for a 19 year old.  These days, it seems like the only way that a 19 year old can get insurance is the black box/phone app model.

Give it 10 or 15 years though, and the whole market will change with driverless cars coming onto the scene.  Accidents should become less common, which should bring premiums down.  Once a reasonable number of driverless cars are on the road, it will change driving habits as well.  For instance, you won't be able to do 45mph in a 30mph limit when there is a driverless car in front of you doing 30mph.  It will probably only need 1 in 5 of the cars on the roads to be driverless to bring about a significant change in the way people (are forced to) drive.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    once you have enough no claims, it just varies on where you live. Mine went down 60% when I moved 20 miles outside Manchester

Recently I've been paying around £300 now on a monster fast expensive car, since new
    Your job title has a significant impact on prices too. I saw a 20% decrease or so when I incorporated my company... was a sole trader, now a company director, basically doing the same work but the title alone meant I was less of a risk I suppose.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    Just got my renewal through from Aviva.

10% increase in the premium with no justification. But, if you renew online "we'll only charge you 5% more".

Wankers.
    NelsonP said:
    Just got my renewal through from Aviva.

10% increase in the premium with no justification. But, if you renew online "we'll only charge you 5% more".

Wankers.
    That's no fun - I use Aviva and they've consistently dropped my price every year, by 20 quid or so.

Best thing to do is get a better competing quote and ring them up...
  • There is no loyalty discount with car insurance companies, and no doubt as an industry it is severely in need of much tighter regulation to deliver better value for money for consumers.

The best thing to do is spend the time shopping around when it is time to renew.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313
    Rabs said:
    skunkwerx said:
    Thats cheap as chips by my books! 

Mine is £850 fully comp, no points, claims or modifications on a standard 1.5ltr diesel megane.. 

No claims of 9 years have absolutely no effect it appears as it doesnt budge.. ever. 

Fucking annoying situation because I need it to get to work, unless I want to sit on trains at 11pm, which I really don’t fancy.. 

It must be the ‘London’ area I live in, which is 20 miles from any type of London I’ve ever seen.. 

Ohh don't get me wrong.. I was totally shocked at that price and im happy with it.. I just found it bizarre that the more we added to the insurance the cheaper it got.. It made no sense at all...  Oh and I live in London too, on the outskirts but still London  (E4)..

Postcode makes a massive difference.
    I am nudging 50 with full NCD. Fully comp on a 3 year old Citroen Cactus 1.1 (so not exactly a hot hatch!) is £540.
    My sister lives 3 miles away, is 3 years older and has a bloody Kuga 1.6 Diesel (brand new) and her fully comp insurance is £350. I just happen to live in a hotspot postcode.
    Definitely seems to depend on postcode more than anything else. If there’s been a spate of claims in one area their computers pick it up and they’ll ramp up the premium.

Both those quotes above seem ridiculous though. I’m paying £380 fully comp on a 3 litre Jag with two named drivers. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11410
    boogieman said:

Definitely seems to depend on postcode more than anything else. If there’s been a spate of claims in one area their computers pick it up and they’ll ramp up the premium.

Depends on the model as well.  There was a spate of Golf GTIs and BMWs getting nicked around our area a few years ago.   It would have cost a fortune to insure one of them around here.

One of the advantages of driving a Toyota Verso with a dent in the door is that it's not high on the list of the kind of cars that get stolen.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I have two vehicles and although neither is exactly a performance vehicle one is worth about ten times as much as the other yet the insurance costs are almost identical. There are some slight differences in the policies but not that much ( and the more expensive vehicle policy includes some European cover) so I guess insuring me at my address comes to about £270.* 

Your job title has a significant impact on prices too. I saw a 20% decrease or so when I incorporated my company... was a sole trader, now a company director, basically doing the same work but the title alone meant I was less of a risk I suppose.

The one policy came up when I was unemployed and they wouldn't renew it. Changed that to 'homemaker' ( as I wasn't using it for work I couldn't see the difference) and it went through.

* ignoring the extra £600 to have my son as a named driver.       
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    The annual car insurance seach is getting pretty tedious. 

I just called Aviva and they can't reduce the premium any further (computer says no)
    Their competitors (Admiral) are offering an identical policy for £75 less.

That will keep a couple of my guitars in new strings for a year.
    NelsonP said:

I just called Aviva and they can't reduce the premium any further (computer says no)

At least you can return to Aviva next year as a "new" customer and get the associated discount.

Also, top tip, make sure you buy your policies through quidco.com when you switch... lots of money back, oftentimes. Can be 30-40 quid sometimes.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Whitecat said:
    NelsonP said:

At least you can return to Aviva next year as a "new" customer and get the associated discount.

Also, top tip, make sure you buy your policies through quidco.com when you switch... lots of money back, oftentimes. Can be 30-40 quid sometimes.
    Does that work if you're also going through price comparison sites? When I go direct to the provider the quotes they give me are always way higher.