Understanding Toto's Africa

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2602
in Theory tFB Trader

Another very interesting theory video.... I like the fact that he plays the notes and chords hes talking about, it helps me understand whats being said more.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    Brilliant.

I can't handle his pen-holding technique though, just wrong.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    Brilliant.

I can't handle his pen-holding technique though, just wrong.

Well hes left handed.. What do you expect.. They do everything weird, they even have upside down guitars  :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    That mention of the importance of the syncopation made me think of this ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • close2u said:
    That mention of the importance of the syncopation made me think of this ...

Sound season like my last band practice.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3316
    Rabs said:

Another very interesting theory video.... I like the fact that he plays the notes and chords hes talking about, it helps me understand whats being said more.

Thanks for that its a cracker
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    This video series is RIGHT up my street. 

Are there other similar ones on different channels?

I love trying to break down a song like this. You wonder if the composer thought all this through or just played what sounded good. 

GREAT stuff, seriously. I'm going to try and work my way through all of them.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
    This video series is RIGHT up my street. 

Are there other similar ones on different channels?

I love trying to break down a song like this. You wonder if the composer thought all this through or just played what sounded good. 

GREAT stuff, seriously. I'm going to try and work my way through all of them.

Yes they are really good vids aren't they.. As he talks about it and plays the note or chord hes talking about. Even though I am not technical, I still understand what hes talking about.

Not quite the same but yes there seems to be several people out there doing similar stuff

And the What makes this song so great series of vids

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    For the synthy-technically-minded, found this interesting too...

• newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    Thats awesome - thanks for sharing
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    sorry sorry sorry - but I hate to dispell a myth here but as an avid and early Midi adopter and custom synth patch builder I can tell you now that this was a patch detuned to Fiths on the synth and thus trying to make sense of it 'musically' thus appears that these guys knew some wierd-other-worldly-shamanist-shit... they were good musos but not that good!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    sorry sorry sorry - but I hate to dispell a myth here but as an avid and early Midi adopter and custom synth patch builder I can tell you now that this was a patch detuned to Fiths on the synth and thus trying to make sense of it 'musically' thus appears that these guys knew some wierd-other-worldly-shamanist-shit... they were good musos but not that good!

No I don't think anyone is saying its musical genius and was done on purpose for technical reasons...  But this vid just explains the creative process a little..   How to make the music more interesting by adding surprises in the melody and timing..  Like in that video I posted about Metallica and their missing 32nd note in Master of Puppets... I don't think any of Metallica are music theory nerds but yet as they are just such a tight band they are able to play complex timings by feel rather than working it out on paper or counting 32nd notes (which I doubt many of us could do )..
  • Ooh what makes this song great sounds good. Look forward to that.. 
  • Oh wow the "what makes this song great" videos are 20+ mins long.. lol .
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited June 2019
    Sorry but I’m going to stick my neck out here and say I’m afraid that I completely disagree with his conclusions on what key the song is in.

In the details he’s fine, but to say the intro is in A lydian not c# minor is just odd; then to say the verse is in A not B is really strange (even g#m would be better than A); and then to say the chorus is in A not f#m is totally bizarre.

To me it’s a triumph of theoretical analysis over musical analysis and he gets the wrong end of the stick at almost every opportunity. Sorry! 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    @thomasross20 check out Hollistic Songwriting on youtube. He doesn't analyse in detail, but his Artist series looks at what gives selected bands/artists their sound.
  • I'll do that.. 8) thanks!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Rabs said:
    57Deluxe said:

I don't think any of Metallica are music theory nerds but yet as they are just such a tight band
    *cough* 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Whassup y'all!