Cover versions that are better than the originals....

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    This probably won't win me any friends on a guitar forum either, but this...

DJ Sammy - Heaven

(Possibly because I've never liked Bryan Adams much.)

His version of Don Henley's Boys Of Summer is much less good though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Ataris did a decent cover of it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4487
    Under the bridge - All Saints

Oh no wait, you said better. Not "fucking travesty and a disgrace to music". My mistake. 
    Wiz'd.

See also: Ace of Spades (CCN remix) and Atomic Kitten's utterly pointless version of The Tide Is High.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    The Man Who Sold The World by Lulu

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    Always preferred Roxy's Jealous Guy over the Lennon original.
    Always irritated the hell out of me, tbh.  Partly because I don't like Ferry's vocal but partly because it seemed such a cynical cash-in on Lennon's death.  I dare say the band had a suitable rationale for releasing this "tribute" but the fact remains that a record that would have been a minor hit at best if it had been released at any other time became a UK No 1 and world-wide smash owing to Lennon's recent assassination.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    Jonathangus said:

Atomic Kitten's utterly pointless version of The Tide Is High.
    Also worth mentioning that the Blondie version is also a cover, so probably should be in this thread, if I haven't missed it. As far as I know I've never heard the Paragons' original.

Always irritated the hell out of me, tbh.  Partly because I don't like Ferry's vocal but partly because it seemed such a cynical cash-in on Lennon's death.  I dare say the band had a suitable rationale for releasing this "tribute" but the fact remains that a record that would have been a minor hit at best if it had been released at any other time became a UK No 1 and world-wide smash owing to Lennon's recent assassination.
    I think that's unfair. They recorded it as a tribute. They won't have made very much money out of it either, since the royalties would have gone to Lennon's estate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    ICBM said:
    Jonathangus said:

Atomic Kitten's utterly pointless version of The Tide Is High.
    Also worth mentioning that the Blondie version is also a cover, so probably should be in this thread, if I haven't missed it. As far as I know I've never heard the Paragons' original.

I think that's unfair. They recorded it as a tribute. They won't have made very much money out of it either, since the royalties would have gone to Lennon's estate.
    Still on 45s when Roxy Music had a hit with Jealous Guy ( which I knew before I knew the Lennon version and much prefer) so did they not make money out of having a Roxy song on the B side? 
    In comparison, for example, The Selecter had released a cover of Back to Black and then withdrew it from sale so they weren’t seen as cashing in although it was recorded and released before Amy Winehouse died. 
    I’m not knocking Roxy but I can see you could. 

The Paragons original of Tide is High was an established sixties ska classic, quite unusual for featuring violin. I must have three or four versions of it on ska compilations. Although the version in my head is the Blondie one. Quite an odd choice for them to cover, or at least not an obvious one, be interesting to know who chose it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Not strictly a cover, but Chino from the Deftones recently joined the Smashing Pumpkins onstage to sing Bodies; his voice suits it perfectly, he smashes it. Skip the first two minutes of waffle by Billy. 

https://youtu.be/ypxT0mMNpQ0
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5141
    Few of my favs... =)

Liitle Wing SRV
    https://youtu.be/An4uDegHB8s

Heard it through the Grapevine CCR
    https://youtu.be/NXJQOWsp6f4

Hush Kula Shaker
    https://youtu.be/rMAWMR2iCIw
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30876
    On the other side of the coin, I never felt Kelly Clarkson's Heartbeat was as good as Buddy Holly's.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• girya32girya32 Frets: 10
    edited August 2018
    Every song Richard Cheese has ever done

https://youtu.be/nrYJjuq-ymQ

https://youtu.be/fn40B9ugcrs
  • D7- the original Wipers song is superb, especially Greg Sage’s guitar and vocals. But Nirvana’s version- the drums and bass take it to another level of intensity with kurts off the wall solo and screaming. But love both versions. 

https://youtu.be/MRa5BWOOGZM

https://youtu.be/fcXoRlvpLVY
  • Sure some of these are sacrilege, but there you go.

Six Days On the Road- Taj Mahal version
    Surfin' USA- JAMC
    Who Do You Love- George Thorogood, actually, pretty much any cover he does stands up well. I'm a big Bo Diddley fan BTW
    Green Door- The Cramps, again pretty much all their covers are A1 I even like their version of The Crusher better than The Novas, only just.
    The Monkey Speaks His Mind- Fabulous Thunderbirds

Just to prove I have no taste I like the Bauhaus version of Ziggy better than Bowie, it's more an impersonation than a cover.
    And prefer Bowie's version of Can't Explain to The Who's, again huge Who fan. I heard Bowie's first & was actually a bit disappointed when I heard the original.

• The Mrs and I did one of those 5K walks this evening to raise a it of money for the local Sue Ryder hospice. Both of us lost our mothers to cancer over the past year and the staff at the hospice made their final few weeks as good as one could possibly hope.

I would often tease my mum about her terrible taste in music, but there was the one song that we both loved, and although it has already been mentioned on this thread, I'd like to dedicate it to her tonight.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    David Gray's version of Say Hello & wave goodbye. Came on in the car this morning on random shuffle..Gets me every time 
  • Ghost's cover of It's A Sin is pretty darn spiffy.

• A lot of the stuff on Metallica's Garage Days EP. 
    This must be one of the oddest covers ever, but one of the best - The Sisters Of Mercy covering...

Hot Chocolate :).

• mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    Beth Hart / JoBo’s version of I’d rather go blind. 

https://youtu.be/UEHwO_UEp7A