The Official FB Jam - Water Rats (Woking) Edition - 13th April 2019

What's Hot

Comments

• BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 227

@Blackjack - stoked for you and look forward to seeing you on the day. 

One bit to note - you will need to come up with 3 song suggestions, and as a "Jam Virgin" you will get priority for a song choice in the "newcomers" 5 slots.. so I would put some thought into that. 

I'm going to be launching the thread for Woking songlist later this week.
    @Bridgehouse thank you so much! I have hung around on the edges of the forum for a long time now as you know but have always largely felt a bit like I was on the outside looking in as it were only due to my novice status not due to anything anyone here has said or done.  I have always been too scared to post very much because I didn’t feel I had much I could contribute to a bunch of such experienced guys and was afraid of making myself look a bloody idiot ! However, I am really hoping that this will change that as it’s a huge confidence boost and I am just so stupidly excited! 

I will start to put some thought into song choices! What kind of styles tend to go down best at the jam’s? 

Thank you so much one and all for all your support, help and encouragement! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Blackjack said:

@Blackjack - stoked for you and look forward to seeing you on the day. 

One bit to note - you will need to come up with 3 song suggestions, and as a "Jam Virgin" you will get priority for a song choice in the "newcomers" 5 slots.. so I would put some thought into that. 

I'm going to be launching the thread for Woking songlist later this week.
    @Bridgehouse thank you so much! I have hung around on the edges of the forum for a long time now as you know but have always largely felt a bit like I was on the outside looking in as it were only due to my novice status not due to anything anyone here has said or done.  I have always been too scared to post very much because I didn’t feel I had much I could contribute to a bunch of such experienced guys and was afraid of making myself look a bloody idiot ! However, I am really hoping that this will change that as it’s a huge confidence boost and I am just so stupidly excited! 

I will start to put some thought into song choices! What kind of styles tend to go down best at the jam’s? 

Thank you so much one and all for all your support, help and encouragement! 
    Style? anything you like - anything does indeed go. Last time ranged from JJ Cale and more bluesy stuff through to Ace of Spades and on to the rather genius rendering of Dangerzone by Kenny Loggins!

Don't feel you have to choose to fit in - choose what you like. We will work around it. Chances are a bunch of people will jump on it and think it's a good choice. 

Variety is the spice of life. 
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118
    Blackjack said:
    Wow, well it seems like I am going to be a Water Rats jam member!!! 
    All thanks to a very kind and generous forumite who I am incredibly thankful to. 
    As I am a ‘jam virgin’ is there anything else that I need to do at the moment? Other than practise practise practise of course!!!!!
    I am blown away, scared, but most of all very excited !!!

I'm also a jam virgin so happy to cower in the corner with you!!!

But in all seriousness - playing live with people is the absolute best way to have fun and learn. More than happy to have a natter at any time - but the emphasis is on having a great time with fellow musicians and the lightbulb moment that goes off when you pause for breath mid song and take it all in and realise something along the lines of 'holy cow we're playing pink Floyd/Hendrix/right said fred etc' is just epic

Ok, random stupid question time!!!
    Can my hubby come with me? Not in any kind of playing or singing capacity, just as driver/roadie/ sparky/dogsbody? Or would he have to be a paid up attendee??
    you definately would not want to hear him sing, he is the true meaning of the phrase ‘tone deaf’. Lol 
    sorry for silly questions! 
    Blackjack said:
    Can my hubby come with me? Not in any kind of playing or singing capacity, just as driver/roadie/ sparky/dogsbody? Or would he have to be a paid up attendee??
    you definately would not want to hear him sing, he is the true meaning of the phrase ‘tone deaf’. Lol 
    There’s a bit of a prescedent set for other halves: accompanying but not playing or doing anything and not a forum member (and esp if driving you) then fine and nothing to pay. 

Other halves playing and or contributing etc should pay at the “other rate” unless they want a studio session slot a la @Route66 - but she’s a member now so pays in her own right ;)
    Blackjack said:
    There’s a bit of a prescedent set for other halves: accompanying but not playing or doing anything and not a forum member (and esp if driving you) then fine and nothing to pay. 

Other halves playing and or contributing etc should pay at the “other rate” unless they want a studio session slot a la @Route66 - but she’s a member now so pays in her own right ;)
    In that case, please could you put my hubby Pete on the list to be there as my driver and roadie. He is not a forum member and definitely won’t be playing or singing or anything! Whilst he enjoys listening to music, he does not have a musical bone in his body!! 
    Blackjack said:
    Blackjack said:

In that case, please could you put my hubby Pete on the list to be there as my driver and roadie. He is not a forum member and definitely won’t be playing or singing or anything! Whilst he enjoys listening to music, he does not have a musical bone in his body!! 
    No problem! 
    Still 7 slots on the main session on this one! Roll up roll up!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Ok, this year’s Water Rats was when I didn’t know what was wrong with me other than a I felt crap and knackered all the time.  Since then I’ve had to give up all gigs, open mics and all rehearsals and all music stuff has been on hold, bar the odd playing of a couple of songs at home before I get knackered, since medical science worked it out :)

so I wasn’t planning on signing up for next years one, as I don’t know what the future holds.  But I’ve come to the conclusion f*** it, sign up and see how I feel in 8 months time when hopefully the prognosis is better. :)

so so count me in, and it will give me a little thing to aim and practice for.

i’ll paypal When I get home this afternoon
    steve
    sev112 said:
    Ok, this year’s Water Rats was when I didn’t know what was wrong with me other than a I felt crap and knackered all the time.  Since then I’ve had to give up all gigs, open mics and all rehearsals and all music stuff has been on hold, bar the odd playing of a couple of songs at home before I get knackered, since medical science worked it out :)

so I wasn’t planning on signing up for next years one, as I don’t know what the future holds.  But I’ve come to the conclusion f*** it, sign up and see how I feel in 8 months time when hopefully the prognosis is better. :)

so so count me in, and it will give me a little thing to aim and practice for.

i’ll paypal When I get home this afternoon
    steve
    Done!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
     @Route66 is stuck in work and can't post.

Can you put her down for this please.
    Thanks @Bridgehouse .
    Yes. And you as well for Jam Support?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier,

Yes I'll be at every Jam session from now on, even if Audrey (Route66) can't be with me.
    On this occasion she can be and She's very much looking forward to Jamming with and seeing @Blackjack too, as well as many others from 'Huddstock 18' and more from 'Status-Quad 18' this coming November.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Alnico said:
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier,

Yes I'll be at every Jam session from now on, even if Audrey (Route66) can't be with me.
    On this occasion she can be and She's very much looking forward to Jamming with and seeing @Blackjack too, as well as many others from 'Huddstock 18' and more from 'Status-Quad 18' this coming November.
    I am really looking forward to meeting up with Audrey @Route66 ;too.  Be great to jam with her although I know she will be a lot better than me! Be great to see you both! So looking forward to it! 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    tFB Trader
    Are there still spaces available Tone71 said i should come along 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27340
    There are and you should @customkits.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    There are and you should @customkits.
    :)
    Thanks money sent
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Afternoon chaps... our little covers band have a shindig this Friday if anyone attending waterrats, or anyone that attended the last one fancies popping along?...

I will be there as well as @drumswithpoopot  and @bill_the_bass who you all met last time.

as it’s the covers set it may be a benefit to see how it’s not always necessary to play a song exactly note for note, and it’s more about just the playing and groove... not only that, seeing as @bill_the_bass is standing in for our regular bass player, it’s not always necessary to learn the song at all and it is ok to intact play something compleatly different :)

if you fancy it, Dm me and I’ll give you the details...
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    Where in London is it @poopot ; ? (assuming its London from your location) 

I'd have loved to have come to Woking but I haven't found a way to tell the Mrs that I wont be attending our two daughters 1st and 7th birthday party because I'm going to an internet guitar forum jam session. 
    Any suggestions welcome.....
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    mli3 said:
    Where in London is it @poopot ; ? (assuming its London from your location) 

I'd have loved to have come to Woking but I haven't found a way to tell the Mrs that I wont be attending our two daughters 1st and 7th birthday party because I'm going to an internet guitar forum jam session. 
    Any suggestions welcome.....
    This one is in Sutton.