Positive Grid BIAS Mini Head

What's Hot
JamesDadJamesDad Frets: 37
I'm thinking about buying one of these (& an FRFR speaker), but have read mixed reviews about the amp models. It's the ability to swap between amps that appeals, so this is the key thing for me. 

I have been considering a Fractal AX8, but I don't really use many FX, just some overdrive, so this might be a bit of overkill.

Does anyone have any experience of the Mini or the full size BIAS head? 

Any suggestions/information gratefully received. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    No first hand experience but if you check out Sean Halley on YouTube you will get a good idea of what you’ll get out of it. He did a load of Helix videos as well for some level of comparison. 

If if nothing else, you will get to see one of the tastiest players out there at the moment. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JamesDadJamesDad Frets: 37
    Thanks for the info. You're right, nice playing. The only thing is, as the YouTube vids are made on behalf of Positive Grid, my inner sceptic wonders how BIASed (sorry!) they are in showing what its capable of in reality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Have you actually played the bias plugin? Cos I think helix basically shits all over it and helix lt plus a cheap power amp is going to get you int he same ballpark price wise.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    No I haven't, I'm only just starting to look into the various options. Until now I've been using a Mesa combo & Maxon OD820 (+ a couple of other pedals very now & then). I've heard good things about the Helix & Helix LT, although better things about the Fractal AX8 (for amp modelling at least).
    Well, it looks like I'm knocking the Positive Grid BIAS idea on the head. Now it's just a case of a Fractal AX8, Line 6 Helix (or LT) or sticking with "normal" amps. 

Any thoughts anyone?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    JamesDad said:
    Well, it looks like I'm knocking the Positive Grid BIAS idea on the head. Now it's just a case of a Fractal AX8, Line 6 Helix (or LT) or sticking with "normal" amps. 

Any thoughts anyone?
    I have a helix. It gets used an awful lot. It’s a great interface for recording at home as well as out and about. Main advantage for me is it does bass as well as guitar - the bass amp and effects models are superb. The fact it handles XLR mic inputs are a real bonus as well. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    JamesDad said:

Any thoughts anyone?
    A step up cost wise but you should prob also try a kemper for comparison purposes. My vote would be a helix though, esp if you think you might retain some real amps
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I'm getting the feeling a Helix could be the way to go (a step up from an Ampli-Fire or Ampli-Firebox I guess), either thorugh my Mesa Recto-Verb combo or an FRFR (or both).