Blimey this is turning out to be fun, no wonder i haven't bothered before

Maybe everyone can wait until Stuarts got the finished site done now 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Back on topic...that gold top looks stunning

GDPR has confused a lot of webmasters since it came into effect, and the reality is,  very little has changed anyway. 

I wouldn’t worry about it...looking forward to seeing the completed website. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • poopot said:
    lonestar said:
    If there is a “contact us” form or a way of contacting the website via email you need a privacy policy to comply with GDPR. 
    Only if he is running a marketing list... which he isn’t... if he is sending out bulk mails telling everyone who has contacted him about his latest endeavours then yes, a clear and concise privacy policy is needed and has to be made available and people have to opt into the mailing list.

For general “contact me” there is no requirement for a privacy statement.

There are two ways to send Darren an email through his site.

1) you click on a mailto link which opens your mail client and prepares a blank email for
    you to write and send - consent for Darren to contact you given

2) you fill out the form, which is there for the instances when people don’t use a mail client (gmail, Hotmail etc)... the form won’t send unless you check the consent box - consent for Darren to contact you given.

both methods comply with gdpr...

If he then starts sending out bulk mails announcing this, that and the other he is in breach of gdpr... but gdpr allows for “reasonable contact” in the first instance....

I’m sorry but this is not correct. The presence of a marketing list is irrelevant. If you collect data including the contact addresses of living people as part of your business then GDPR applies. 

If if you are storing emails in the course of your business, GDPR applies. It applies even if all you are doing is show casing your work, if that work is for sale then it’s a business. If you’re show casing it for the purpose of generating orders or commissions then it’s a business and GDPR applies. 

Simple answer is get a privacy policy. Or don’t, but be prepared to be in breach. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My final comment. Consent isn’t strictly necessary for direct marketing activities. This is another mis-conception. 

You can can rely on legitimate interest for direct marketing so long as the data subject is given the opportunity to opt out. 

Anywho, simple enough to fix. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    What happens if someone says contact me via Facebook or Instagram then 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Facebook/Instagram handle  the data. It’s their problem.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    I believe it is then the social media platforms job to have their own privacy policy for us. 

It is they who have all the info in that case. Anyway, worth doing. If your livelihood depends on your business it’s surely not an inconvenience to sort it :) 

Looking forward to seeing your work online, some cracking stuff so far :)
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    I believe it is then the social media platforms job to have their own privacy policy for us. 

It is they who have all the info in that case. Anyway, worth doing. If your livelihood depends on your business it’s surely not an inconvenience to sort it :) 

It's funny all this, i thought a simple website was needed but it just turns into a whole load of hassle, all my stuff is on Facebook and Instagram already

This site isn't selling anything just showcasing my builds and processes etc, if someone likes it they can get in touch if they want
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:

It's funny all this, i thought a simple website was needed but it just turns into a whole load of hassle, all my stuff is on Facebook and Instagram already

This site isn't selling anything just showcasing my builds and processes etc, if someone likes it they can get in touch if they want
    No hassle at all mate. It’s just part of it. You’d be surprised how much traffic a website generates. I’ve never paid a penny to promote my site yet a large proportion of my sales come via the website :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I do think the warnings about GRPR here are overstated. You're not gathering user data in a database, generating user accounts or tracking users with cookies for advertising or personalisation
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    I do think the warnings about GRPR here are overstated. You're not gathering user data in a database, generating user accounts or tracking users with cookies for advertising or personalisation
    Okay, I wasn’t going to say anything else regarding this because it is a little unfair to have a positive thread derailed like this but allow me enlighten anyone reading this who DOESNT have a website where customers contact you via a contact form...

At present, I am sitting with the dashboard of my website open. I have a few hundred emails with personal information attached. I have collected a lot of data. Therefor, a privacy policy is required. Now, I only recently got one which is shocking but again, along with Darren how was I to know? No one can purchase from my website yet I still have a lot of other peoples personal information in my possession.

Its also worth noting that Kurt is a solicitor. Surely it’s okat to take his advice in this case (pardon the pun) seeing as he hasn’t charged us for the insight? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    poopot said:
    Ok,

Darren’s site is and will be, when it’s finished, nothing more than a “portfolio” of his builds with a facility for anyone to contact him should they need or want to...

He is not a “company” as such, he is not offering items for sale and he won’t have a web shop or ecommerce back end...

gdpr is satisfied by including bith a balid email email address and a box to click to give consent before the contact form will send...

TBH he doesn’t have to put a physical address anywhere on his site... and tbh why would he want to?

if in the future he decides to sell his guitars online, or post a list of his prices (if he has any) or offer any “service” to the general public... he would have to comply with the correct consumer laws where applicable...

but... as it stands... it will be nothing more than a website showing his portfolio... absolutely no different to the millions of artists, photographers and creative artisans around the world...

Edit***** no different to putting a “build thread” on here!...
    Hmmm!

My reason for opening this can of worms is because I assumed this website would be a way of customkits marketing his excellent work with an intention to sell - an assumption that seems reasonable, what with this being posted in the Made In The UK forum which is intended "to give another platform to the smaller UK-based businesses to reach the guitar community with their (relevant) products and services" and by the fact that the draft website has a consent tick box on the contact us page - something that would be the right thing to do under data protection principles, but since May that request for consent should be be more explicit for it to be GDPR compliant.

Seems to be a lot of back pedalling going on - or perhaps I have totally misunderstood the intention here, but I hope that Customkits will be selling his excellent work through the website. My point was that if that is the case you need to ensure that data protection is built in right at the design stage.

• Gagaryn said:
    poopot said:
    Ok,

Darren’s site is and will be, when it’s finished, nothing more than a “portfolio” of his builds with a facility for anyone to contact him should they need or want to...

He is not a “company” as such, he is not offering items for sale and he won’t have a web shop or ecommerce back end...

gdpr is satisfied by including bith a balid email email address and a box to click to give consent before the contact form will send...

TBH he doesn’t have to put a physical address anywhere on his site... and tbh why would he want to?

if in the future he decides to sell his guitars online, or post a list of his prices (if he has any) or offer any “service” to the general public... he would have to comply with the correct consumer laws where applicable...

but... as it stands... it will be nothing more than a website showing his portfolio... absolutely no different to the millions of artists, photographers and creative artisans around the world...

Edit***** no different to putting a “build thread” on here!...
    Hmmm!

My reason for opening this can of worms is because I assumed this website would be a way of customkits marketing his excellent work with an intention to sell - an assumption that seems reasonable, what with this being posted in the Made In The UK forum which is intended "to give another platform to the smaller UK-based businesses to reach the guitar community with their (relevant) products and services" and by the fact that the draft website has a consent tick box on the contact us page - something that would be the right thing to do under data protection principles, but since May that request for consent should be be more explicit for it to be GDPR compliant.

Seems to be a lot of back pedalling going on - or perhaps I have totally misunderstood the intention here, but I hope that Customkits will be selling his excellent work through the website. My point was that if that is the case you need to ensure that data protection is built in right at the design stage.

Absolutely right. Privacy by design or default, the most important principle of the GDPR in my view. 

All very simple to fix really. But better to get it right in the first place than to wing it. 

Im tagging myself out now though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    lonestar said:
    roberty said:
    Okay, I wasn’t going to say anything else regarding this because it is a little unfair to have a positive thread derailed like this but allow me enlighten anyone reading this who DOESNT have a website where customers contact you via a contact form...

At present, I am sitting with the dashboard of my website open. I have a few hundred emails with personal information attached. I have collected a lot of data. Therefor, a privacy policy is required. Now, I only recently got one which is shocking but again, along with Darren how was I to know? No one can purchase from my website yet I still have a lot of other peoples personal information in my possession.

Its also worth noting that Kurt is a solicitor. Surely it’s okat to take his advice in this case (pardon the pun) seeing as he hasn’t charged us for the insight? 
    Fair, if you are storing email addresses and IPs etc you need consent and a privacy policy
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    a not needed privacy policy added to the "non active" and "non trading" website...

Can we all get back to praising Darren for his excellent builds now?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting but possibly misplaced discussion about GDPR!

Yes the guitars are stunning, I'm seriously considering a commission
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    roberty said:
    Interesting but possibly misplaced discussion about GDPR!

Yes the guitars are stunning, I'm seriously considering a commission
    Well ffs don’t contact him via his website ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    I couldn't make enough guitars to sell on a website
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader

Looks very nice from here chaps, on PC and phone both, nice and modern, good pics.

One thing - just personal impression - was the logo, the full stop seems a bit out of place, you don't see them in a logo. Might just be me. Also I'd have expected 'Daniels Guitars'. On biz cards, invoices, whatever, it'd be 100% obvious whereas 'Daniels.' prob wouldn't. Could maybe hang the word "guitars" underneath "Daniels", would fit in without freaking out the layout. And give emphasis to 'Daniels' which seems kind of nice given the reasons...
    Again just 2p of whatever.

GDPR, don't sweat it. Yes there's a law but if anyone's going to be checked out it'll be the big boys. Privacy policys can be borrowed/adapted/taken from templates.

Address, could say something general like based in Somethingshire England, visitors by appointment, or something. Just gives folk a rough idea without being specific, if you don't want that.

Anyways hope that was taken as constructive, was meant that way, good luck and crack on Darren..

tFB Trader
    Corvus said:

Looks very nice from here chaps, on PC and phone both, nice and modern, good pics.

One thing - just personal impression - was the logo, the full stop seems a bit out of place, you don't see them in a logo. Might just be me. Also I'd have expected 'Daniels Guitars'. On biz cards, invoices, whatever, it'd be 100% obvious whereas 'Daniels.' prob wouldn't. Could maybe hang the word "guitars" underneath "Daniels", would fit in without freaking out the layout. And give emphasis to 'Daniels' which seems kind of nice given the reasons...
    Again just 2p of whatever.

GDPR, don't sweat it. Yes there's a law but if anyone's going to be checked out it'll be the big boys. Privacy policys can be borrowed/adapted/taken from templates.

Address, could say something general like based in Somethingshire England, visitors by appointment, or something. Just gives folk a rough idea without being specific, if you don't want that.

Anyways hope that was taken as constructive, was meant that way, good luck and crack on Darren..

Thanks Bill it's all new to me so constructive advice is always welcome 

That was just some artwork i had done by my sons friend i can get that altered at some point, there's lots to go on yet and a privacy policy box has been put on 

Yes i will say where i am located not that it really matters as my customers are all over the world, got 2 going to the states this year and Europe next probably, i don't rush lol

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)