Beatbox info required!

What's Hot
I have a few vintage beatboxes that I'm sorting out. I figured I'd use them, and bought them years ago but they never were usefully employed. I'm after any tips on the values and service requirements of the original Bentley Rhythm Ace and the Korg KR55B. What I do know is that both units work 100% at present. The Bentley has really old school sounds but you can drop instruments in and out and also changed the tempo on the fly (like Arthur Brown did on Kingdom Come's excellent "Journey" album. The Korg was apparently favoured by early Depeche Mode, and is the model with extra banks of rhythms I think. Anyone enlighten me further? I need to find good homes for them and may eventually trade for a decent Fender Telecaster or Jazzmaster. All info on these units gratefully received!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Your opening post reads as if you have a full understanding of each of your rhythm machine devices. If your intention is to sell or swap them, you will probably get more joy by opening a Discussion in the Studio & Rec £ forum area, together with photographs and prices. 

Alternatively, research the market values of your machines by altering the title of this Discussion to a direct request for valuations. Include words such as "vintage", "Bentley" and "KORG". This should attract the people who can best help you. 

I'm going to take the liberty of paging @HarrySeven on this topic. He collects vintage music technology. He may also be willing to trade a Fender MIM or CIJ guitar with cash difference. Failing that, he probably knows other interested parties who purchase vintage rhythm machines.
    Be seeing you.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    @Funkfingers Zoobyboy has been on here for 2 years and sold a fair bit including some v highend stuff, I very much doubt he's after anything  other than some additional info , your post comes across as a bit condescending. 
    In that case, consider it withdrawn. 

Time for a sharp exit.
    Be seeing you.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    I've had a few old drum machines but have largely moved on from them as I've found getting them serviced is difficult and quite costly. If you are looking to get one serviced then try emailing - sarah@synthprof.com. They had quite a waiting list when I enquired but they have a good rep.

As I understand it, Bentley rebranded Japanese drum boxes so it might help locate specs if you find its original maker and model number. I don't know which model of the Rhythm Ace you have but there's some info here -

https://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/newsarchive/BRA.html

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    edited August 2018
    @Funkfingers Zoobyboy has been on here for 2 years and sold a fair bit including some v highend stuff, I very much doubt he's after anything  other than some additional info , your post comes across as a bit condescending. 

However - to add some balance - at first glance, with only 7 Frets and requests for further information, values and such, I can understand why that assumption was made by FF... :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you for your comment, H7 but there is no need. I did not check the OP's forum history. Neither have I checked the current list of forum Moderators.
    Be seeing you.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    Thank you for your comment, H7 but there is no need. I did not check the OP's forum history. Neither have I checked the current list of forum Moderators.
    Then all is well. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

edited August 2018
    I am fine. I cannot answer for anyone else. 
    Be seeing you.
  • Thanks for the info and input so far, guys, I think the Bentley was made by the company that became Roland (someone local says) maybe thats why it sounds so good. But they just sit here gathering dust and I'm no wiser on market value on either! Still, no rush.
  • Yes the Bentley Rhythm Ace is a rebadged version of the Ace Tone Rhythm Ace, and Ace Tone went on to become Roland. I don't think they are super valuable like the later Roland drum machines, though -- you might get a couple of hundred quid in good working order. Likewise I don't think the Korg is a particularly sought-after model, though no doubt worth something to someone.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    This thread went a bit weird, but hey-ho. Here's my tangential observation: If you like them, use them and enjoy them. If you don't like them, sell them now. My HO is that there's a lot of mediocre electronic music gear that has grown in value because interest rates are so low and cash is plentiful. Seller's market.

We've all seen distinctly average stuff escalate in asking price on Ebay, Gumtree and elsewhere. Meanwhile better-made, better-sounding modern stuff falls in price. Same's true of other odd little areas where utility and collectibility overlap (cars, guitars, watches).

This cannot last forever, and at some point someone's going to be holding a lot of stuff that's almost impossible to sell. Buyer's market.

That'll be 2c, please.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    goldtop said:

We've all seen distinctly average stuff escalate in asking price on Ebay, Gumtree and elsewhere. Meanwhile better-made, better-sounding modern stuff falls in price. Same's true of other odd little areas where utility and collectibility overlap (cars, guitars, watches).

This cannot last forever, and at some point someone's going to be holding a lot of stuff that's almost impossible to sell. Buyer's market.

That'll be 2c, please.
    Good observation. Plus factor in that lots of this stuff is now 30 - 40 years old, parts are starting to fail and there's no guarantee that replacement bits can be sourced.

I like the old drum machines, their simplicity is very appealing - faced with a Roland808 reissue my mind goes blank but the simple button press of the older Roland units is within my grasp and answers my needs. BossaNova anyone?