General Jammers Songlist Chat

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    LuttiS said:
    Do what you gotta do @Alnico - health comes first.

Also remember while you're building your new empire the forum has a massive range of skills to call upon - you need graphics/marketing/finance/webcam trouble shooting advice etc you just gotta say and it will come flooding.

All the best matey :)
    Thanks,

I know this place is a hive of skills and there are great people here who would help.
    I'm starting very small, just offering very cheap lessons to people (F.O.C. for Jam session players here) and I've written a few songs which are rough and ready but they exist now and there's a framework there to develop.

I'm a big believer in fate and I know that all I have to do is keep pushing myself along. If anything good is going to happen to me in the music industry, it'll happen and all I can do remain prepared for it.

My little, shoestring studio at home is where that starts and it may never go further than that but trying and failing is better than never trying.

Thanks again man.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    I won't be there but for jam sessions, it is best to include songs that everyone (including the audience) knows. Johnny B Goode, Fortunate Son, Comfortably Numb etc.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water, keep some continuity between the various jams.

My cents worth.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Get well soon @Alnico ;

I'll assume your new venture/career is guitar related as it is clearly the route where your passion lies (quite right too :) ) so you spend a lot of time in the right place here!

Also physically in the right place, some famous musicians from Liverpool I understand (the Beetles?  Was that it...?)

;)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    Get well soon @Alnico ;

I'll assume your new venture/career is guitar related as it is clearly the route where your passion lies (quite right too :) ) so you spend a lot of time in the right place here!

Also physically in the right place, some famous musicians from Liverpool I understand (the Beetles?  Was that it...?)

;)
    I'll be ok soon.
    Thanks man.

Yes I'm looking at working with my guitars and music. There's no point looking at anything else and as people have very kindly realised and pointed out, there's little else I live as much as music and my passion for guitars and creating music knows no bounds now I'm free of the rat race.

I've heard a few people talk about that band but I'm led to believe they were just another boy band (MASSIVE JOKE). Lol.

This city is full of inspiration. 

In the last month I've half written two new songs based on experiences here and every day I get more inspiration in fact right now as I type I'm wandering aimlessly through the city centre looking for life and some ideas... also it's like a thousand degrees in our flat and I needed some air.

I'll be fine and soon I'll be back in the house at surrounded by my guitars and hopefully in front of a decent HD Web cam for you lot.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Alnico said:
    every day I get more inspiration in fact right now as I type I'm wandering aimlessly through the city centre looking for life and some ideas... 

"Liverpool can be a lonely place on a Saturday night.  And this is only Thursday morning."
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    @Alnico GWS and all the best for the new venture.

I don't believe in fate for a single moment, but I do believe in serendipity - sometimes sequences of events can fall into place out of the blue, usually through a set of connections and a little luck - but you have to be in the game to win it.

I see a lot of Youtubers using Patreon as a way to start getting a regular income - might be useful for you.

As for "handouts from the state", that's help, not handouts. They'll only spend it on cruise missiles if we don't use it!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Alnico said:
    In the last month I've half written two new songs based on experiences here and every day I get more inspiration in fact right now as I type I'm wandering aimlessly through the city centre looking for life and some ideas...

Just remember there is a song called "Penny Lane" already ;)
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Alnico said:
    In the last month I've half written two new songs based on experiences here and every day I get more inspiration in fact right now as I type I'm wandering aimlessly through the city centre looking for life and some ideas...

Yeah but i don't think Liverpool ONE has had anything written about it... i smell an opportunity! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018
    LuttiS said:
    Alnico said:

Just remember there is a song called "Penny Lane" already
    Yeah but i don't think Liverpool ONE has had anything written about it... i smell an opportunity!
    I'll work on that.
    I won't write about the shopping centre but  the heritage we lost in building that has given me an idea...

Nice one!
    LuttiS said:
    Alnico said:

Yeah but i don't think Liverpool ONE has had anything written about it... i smell an opportunity! :)
    "In Liverpool one there is a Costa selling Flat White's,
    and lots of hipsters there on laptops in the know,
    and though hundreds of people come and go,
    no-one says hello..."
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    GWS @Alnico ;

Not sure what form you've got for self-employment and related stuff, but if you need any pointers on the boring stuff (record keeping, not getting in the poo with the tax man etc.) feel free to drop me a PM as and when things arise. I know I'm not the only one on here that has plowed their own furrow employment-wise, and I'm sure I'm not the best, so if you've got local input on that, no worries. But helping people get started with this stuff used to be what I did, effectively (a long time ago, but the basics never change).
    LuttiS said:
    Alnico said:

"In Liverpool one there is a Costa selling Flat White's,
    and lots of hipsters there on laptops in the know,
    and though hundreds of people come and go,
    no-one says hello..."
    Nothing makes me feel more proud than to see someone I inspired, flourish.

Ed that's really, REALLY good.
    Thanks mate :)
    Snags said:
    GWS @Alnico ;

Not sure what form you've got for self-employment and related stuff, but if you need any pointers on the boring stuff (record keeping, not getting in the poo with the tax man etc.) feel free to drop me a PM as and when things arise. I know I'm not the only one on here that has plowed their own furrow employment-wise, and I'm sure I'm not the best, so if you've got local input on that, no worries. But helping people get started with this stuff used to be what I did, effectively (a long time ago, but the basics never change).
    Thanks Pete.

I won't be doing anything officially yet.
    Lessons and such will be done on a "Donation" basis at first and I'm quite happy with people "Donating" what they think my time and what I've taught them is worth. I'm NOT a qualified guitar teacher so I'm NOT going to pretend to be one and charge a set rate.
    More on that as I work it out but thanks for your kind offer and yes, I WILL be in touch if I need any of that advice.

As for my musical career and what I do with it, I've found some incredible insight from Ola Englund and various other YT guys. Glenn Fricker has a LOT of great advice to offer and I watch his shows every week.

I'm getting in touch with the local music scene here, starting to put roots down and make some contacts and pretty soon I'll be imposing myself on local open mic events too. Me and Audrey are using a local studio once a week to practice at volume and with their PA to play to backing tracks and I'm going to start making contacts through that soon too.
    It's a long and slow process but the journey sticks a firm finger up at the 'Rat Race' I used to be part of and I would rather be broke and happy than rich and miserable.

Here's Ola explaining why releasing an album these days isn't the best way forward with your own music....

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Cool.  I can't offer any advice about "the biz", but I know the basic tedious stuff on making sure you minimise any tax liability without actively upsetting HMRC (because they can upset you a lot more).  Loads of people forget to do things like offset the value of kit they're bringing in, and that kind of stuff, so end up handing over more than you need to.

Tax is a necessary evil, and should lead to a social good, but you're under no obligation to pay more than your fair share :)

Snags said:
    Cool.  I can't offer any advice about "the biz", but I know the basic tedious stuff on making sure you minimise any tax liability without actively upsetting HMRC (because they can upset you a lot more).  Loads of people forget to do things like offset the value of kit they're bringing in, and that kind of stuff, so end up handing over more than you need to.

Tax is a necessary evil, and should lead to a social good, but you're under no obligation to pay more than your fair share :)

Thanks,

I know it will kick in at some point and when it does (Basically when things become successful) I'll be looking for the best way forward and your advice too.
    I've got another (Mutual) friend who is good with all this too so I know when I wake up that day and say "Ok, this is now officially me", I've got some backup with how to do it.

Thanks man.
    I'll cross those bridges as I get to them but I agree about HMRC. As soon as I'm within range of them, I won't take any chances with the 'Death Ray'.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I'd quite like to try something like A-Punk by Vampire Weekend or some Arcade Fire but it (Water Rats April) being my first time i have no idea how easy it is for people to learn the same song at distance. 

Fuengi said:
    I'd quite like to try something like A-Punk by Vampire Weekend or some Arcade Fire but it (Water Rats April) being my first time i have no idea how easy it is for people to learn the same song at distance. 

It's not Ideal but a decent webcam, some TAB and a decent copy of the same song each gets you most of the way there.

The hardest part about learning to play in a band mix is to ONLY play your part.
    Sometimes that not so easy as it sounds and when it comes to learning the song, you need to be brutal and economic with what you play so you don't *overplay* your part.

Overplaying is just as bad as not playing enough, it's about striking a balance that fits the song.

THE BEST Advice I ever got was from Guthrie Govan...
    "Serve the song, NOT your Ego!"

So when it comes to learning a new song with someone who's physically miles away, it's normally harder to nail down exactly what your part is, than it is to play it.

Does that make sense and hopefully shed some light ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Alnico said:
    every day I get more inspiration in fact right now as I type I'm wandering aimlessly through the city centre looking for life and some ideas... 

"Liverpool can be a lonely place on a Saturday night.  And this is only Thursday morning."
    ... and Sunday nights, too. Especially if you're a West Ham fan.   ;)
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Alnico said:
    Snags said:
    GWS @Alnico ;

Thanks Pete.

I won't be doing anything officially yet.
    Lessons and such will be done on a "Donation" basis at first and I'm quite happy with people "Donating" what they think my time and what I've taught them is worth. I'm NOT a qualified guitar teacher so I'm NOT going to pretend to be one and charge a set rate.
    More on that as I work it out but thanks for your kind offer and yes, I WILL be in touch if I need any of that advice.

As for my musical career and what I do with it, I've found some incredible insight from Ola Englund and various other YT guys. Glenn Fricker has a LOT of great advice to offer and I watch his shows every week.

I'm getting in touch with the local music scene here, starting to put roots down and make some contacts and pretty soon I'll be imposing myself on local open mic events too. Me and Audrey are using a local studio once a week to practice at volume and with their PA to play to backing tracks and I'm going to start making contacts through that soon too.
    It's a long and slow process but the journey sticks a firm finger up at the 'Rat Race' I used to be part of and I would rather be broke and happy than rich and miserable.

if you ever want any help/advice with doing the teaching thing, feel free to get in touch; not an expert by any means, but I quit my 'career' over 18 months ago to do it full-time and it's going well and I'm very busy. Best thing I ever did - job was probably nudging me towards proper depression, so if I can pass on anything useful, shout  =)