Road trip NBD

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273

- You can make it sound (largely) like a fretted

How do hammerons / pulloffs work. I've never played a fretless but I imagine they are pretty fucking hard, I know they are less articulate on a bass usually anyway but still....
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205

How do hammerons / pulloffs work. I've never played a fretless but I imagine they are pretty fucking hard, I know they are less articulate on a bass usually anyway but still....
    Hammer-ons and pull-offs work just the same as on a fretted. Sure you've got to be precise with where you put your fingers, but that soon stops being a problem.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I hate the word stunning as usually nothings "stunning".. ..  Apart from that bass. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    mart said:

Hammer-ons and pull-offs work just the same as on a fretted. Sure you've got to be precise with where you put your fingers, but that soon stops being a problem.
    I'm new to fretless but finding that staccato played notes work really well. I think they may serve to disguise small discrepancies in intonation and in any case sound a lot more interesting than on a fretted bass. Kinda like a tuba style.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579

Yes I concur with the above answers - there’s a definite positivity when the string hits the board - so hammer ons and pull offs do work largely the same - but the accuracy is the issue - positive action works better
    wow...that finish!
    It’s surprisingly difficult to photograph actually!
    Looks pretty fucking good in that photo!
    It’s the subtle variation in colour that doesn’t quite come across
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Bridgehouse said:
    hammer ons and pull offs do work largely the same - but the accuracy is the issue - positive action works better
    There is a degree of wiggle room. i.e. The finger that hammers out a note is free to apply lengthwise vibrato. This may help to partially disguise positional inaccuracy.

End of the day, as the OP himself often says, nobody is paying much attention to the bass. ;) You can get away with a fair bit. Worse case scenario, lay it on thick with a Chorus effect. 

The Pastorius chorus sound was a short delay, blended with the direct signal. As vibrato is applied, the wet and dry signals beat against each other, creating the detuned effect.
    Be seeing you.
    Bridgehouse said:
    hammer ons and pull offs do work largely the same - but the accuracy is the issue - positive action works better
    There is a degree of wiggle room. i.e. The finger that hammers out a note is free to apply lengthwise vibrato. This may help to partially disguise positional inaccuracy.

End of the day, as the OP himself often says, nobody is paying much attention to the bass. ;) You can get away with a fair bit. Worse case scenario, lay it on thick with a Chorus effect. 

The Pastorius chorus sound was a short delay, blended with the direct signal. As vibrato is applied, the wet and dry signals beat against each other, creating the detuned effect.
    I’ve never warmed to chorus on bass. Dunno why, but just can’t seem to really dig it
    Reshielded the magnetic pickup compartment last night: it’s a single coil Jazz style and was quite noisy. 

It’s now entombed in copper tape and it’s blimmin silent - nary a squeak out of it!
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    How are you getting on with this beastie now the honeymoon has had four weeks or so?

Always interested to hear how folks take to the fretless world. :)
  • dazzajl said:
    How are you getting on with this beastie now the honeymoon has had four weeks or so?

Well, currently the ghost system is out of it (died a slow death) and it’s awaiting a custom made Preamp for the piezo and mag systems - however, I have now spent quite a bit of time setting it up and sorting out intonation etc. and it still gets played every day even tho it’s unamplfied at the moment. 

I am still finding it very addictive
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Bridgehouse said:

Well, currently the ghost system is out of it (died a slow death)
    :(

You may be beginning to understand why I regard all complex onboard electronics like this - whether it's for bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitar or anything - as the work of Satan. These types of systems give me more headaches than almost any other type of repair.

I know there are sound possibilities which are difficult or impossible to achieve any other way, but it's just not worth the hassle, for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Well, currently the ghost system is out of it (died a slow death)
    :(

You may be beginning to understand why I regard all complex onboard electronics like this - whether it's for bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitar or anything - as the work of Satan. These types of systems give me more headaches than almost any other type of repair.

I know there are sound possibilities which are difficult or impossible to achieve any other way, but it's just not worth the hassle, for me.
    Given that the bass is built with a piezo and under board mag pickup in mind, there isn’t really any other option but to have some sort of complex system in there. 

I have had discussions with a preeminent Preamp builder who is hopefully going to come up with a solution - it’s taking a while but I think ultimately there is a rock solid solution possible. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    dazzajl said:

Well, currently the ghost system is out of it (died a slow death) and it’s awaiting a custom made Preamp for the piezo and mag systems - however, I have now spent quite a bit of time setting it up and sorting out intonation etc. and it still gets played every day even tho it’s unamplfied at the moment. 

Glad to see you’re still getting something from it. I’m not much of a bass player these days but I do get a warm glow from seeing others find a love for the smooth side :)
  • dazzajl said:
    dazzajl said:

Glad to see you’re still getting something from it. I’m not much of a bass player these days but I do get a warm glow from seeing others find a love for the smooth side :)
    The new electronics should be here reasonably soon - I’ll do a full write up when they are..
  • Not usually a fan of modern basses but wow, just frickin wow. That is a stunner!
    The Swamp City Shakers