Les Paul to Strat - really struggling with picking...

What's Hot
wwwwww Frets: 72
I've recently bought a strat-style guitar to complement my LP-style one - both are quality items and the problem is me. Help me out guys/girls if you can...

With the LP, I tend to place my wrist on the bridge when picking and I'm as happy as can be. The problem is that I can't seem to put my hand anywhere on the strat without it either: feeling uncomfortable, picking right above the middle pickup or constantly muting the E/A strings. Also, the guitar has a floating trem so I can't replicate the LP style so well 

I know some advocate a floating hand position but my accuracy is way down when I do this - I need a 'loose anchor' position if that makes sense. Please feel free to suggest approaches or post up links to useful videos before I sell the bloody (lovely) thing
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Just keep playing it and stop worrying about it. it will come.

I gig a strat, tele, les paul, sg shaped guitar (yamaha superflighter) plus a couple of others that are abit odd shaped and I've never had a problem swapping between guitars.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Just bought myself a Floyd style guitar and that took a week or so to become accustomed to. You inherently learn what works and what doesn't and adjust accordingly when you swap between guitars. You'll be fine. Don't sell it! You'll learn to love the Strat, it's a beautiful instrument and I wouldn't be without one in my collection!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    thomasw88 said:
    Just keep playing it and stop worrying about it. it will come.

^^^^ This.

I have both a LP and a Strat, and alternate every so often. Sometimes every week, or sometimes get into the groove on one then swap over t'other, say, 2-3 weeks later. Then have a stint before changing over again.

• wwwwww Frets: 72
    Thanks for the words of reassurance 

An evening of practice and beer awaits!!!  =)
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    As someone who learned to play on a LP-style instrument, I experienced a pang of recognition reading your post. As said above, persevere with it and learn the foibles and differences of the two styles of instruments - it'll make you a better, more rounded player. :)

I too tend to gravitate to a 'palm on the bridge' position on an LP type guitar. On a strat type I have a totally different approach and find myself gravitating to a more forward position, picking just over the neck pickup. It's not just ergonomic either - I think there are tonal reasons why some instruments respond to one approach, some to another. The more different instruments you play, the more you learn to tune in to their strengths and idiosyncracies and adjust accordingly. Some instruments, you just might not get on with at all but, with experience, I think you learn to be a bit more adaptable. Every player is different though.

One thing I might suggest is to have the whammy set up so it's resting on the body which will feel a lot more comfortable with a 'fixed bridge' playing style. I have the one guitar I own with a trem set up like this. The only reason I own it is because it was a freebie - I won it at a trade show. Before that, I never had any interest in a whammy bar. For a while I got into learning to use the whammy bar and see what I can do with it but, these days, when I play that guitar I hardly ever touch the trem arm. My playing position is still different, though.

Hope that helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    I only have a Strat and am still very much at the beginners stage, but I find that placing my little finger on the scratch plate around the position of the middle pick-up works well as a way to provide an anchor.
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1029
    Unless you find yourself playing the middle pickup on it's own a lot I'd just set it flat to the pickguard and bang your issues will be solved :)
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
    I'm getting more used to it so many thanks for all the tips/advice - they are really helping and just to hear that others have had similar issues that they've overcome is a real boost
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    Like others have said, embrace the difference and find the strengths and your personal preferences in playing styles to each Guitar.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    I have the same problem, I am so used to resting my palm on the bridge cover of my Rick, I'd really like to try a Strat ash tray like the one pictured above.
    Now, if I have a 2016 Mexican Standard Strat can I get any cover? or does it have to unique to this guitar? any ideas where? thanks