What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited August 2018
    Alnico said:
    Snags said:
    GWS @Alnico ;;

Not sure what form you've got for self-employment and related stuff, but if you need any pointers on the boring stuff (record keeping, not getting in the poo with the tax man etc.) feel free to drop me a PM as and when things arise. I know I'm not the only one on here that has plowed their own furrow employment-wise, and I'm sure I'm not the best, so if you've got local input on that, no worries. But helping people get started with this stuff used to be what I did, effectively (a long time ago, but the basics never change).
    Thanks Pete.

I won't be doing anything officially yet.
    Lessons and such will be done on a "Donation" basis at first and I'm quite happy with people "Donating" what they think my time and what I've taught them is worth. I'm NOT a qualified guitar teacher so I'm NOT going to pretend to be one and charge a set rate.
    More on that as I work it out but thanks for your kind offer and yes, I WILL be in touch if I need any of that advice.

As for my musical career and what I do with it, I've found some incredible insight from Ola Englund and various other YT guys. Glenn Fricker has a LOT of great advice to offer and I watch his shows every week.

I'm getting in touch with the local music scene here, starting to put roots down and make some contacts and pretty soon I'll be imposing myself on local open mic events too. Me and Audrey are using a local studio once a week to practice at volume and with their PA to play to backing tracks and I'm going to start making contacts through that soon too.
    It's a long and slow process but the journey sticks a firm finger up at the 'Rat Race' I used to be part of and I would rather be broke and happy than rich and miserable.

if you ever want any help/advice with doing the teaching thing, feel free to get in touch; not an expert by any means, but I quit my 'career' over 18 months ago to do it full-time and it's going well and I'm very busy. Best thing I ever did - job was probably nudging me towards proper depression, so if I can pass on anything useful, shout 
    Hey man,

Yes please that would be great. 
    I'll PM you once I get this week out of the way.

Thanks that's awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Alnico said:
    if you ever want any help/advice with doing the teaching thing, feel free to get in touch; not an expert by any means, but I quit my 'career' over 18 months ago to do it full-time and it's going well and I'm very busy. Best thing I ever did - job was probably nudging me towards proper depression, so if I can pass on anything useful, shout 
    Hey man,

Yes please that would be great. 
    I'll PM you once I get this week out of the way.

Thanks that's awesome.
    you're welcome, and please do. A lot of it is really simple stuff you may have already thought of, but it all helps.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    @Alnico - your willingness to help other players is an inspiration mate!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandango said:
    There are a few floyd and floyd-related songs I'd like love to give a go. If not at a tFB jam, then at some point in the near future:

Lucy Leave - one of their very earliest (as The Tea Set) but the solo stumps me?!?!?!?
    The Nile Song - the first Floyd song i dreamt of playing all those years ago. Haven't yet tried, but will do soon,
    Obscured by Clouds - no idea what this is like to play, but sounds cool in the way only Floyd can manage,
    On The Run (Travel Sequence) - the very early live-only pre-version before it became a synth fest,
    and
    Syd's Gigolo Aunt with his deceptively simple riffs throughout.

I can only imagine the raised eyebrows, tut-tuts and pursed lips amongst tFB cognoscenti at these rather idiosyncratic selections, but you know what, I don't care. I'd love to find someone with the same tastes and be willing to share the same desire to play these live.

yes! some great suggestions there, defo with u on the nile and OBC. used to play on the run / travel back in the early days but we dropped it in favour of doing something less random! hahaa
    for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk

• "In Liverpool one there is a Costa selling Flat White's,
    and lots of hipsters there on laptops in the know,
    and though hundreds of people come and go,
    no-one says hello..."
    hahahahahahahaaaaaaa go ed lad!
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    fandango said:
    There are a few floyd and floyd-related songs I'd like love to give a go. If not at a tFB jam, then at some point in the near future:

Lucy Leave - one of their very earliest (as The Tea Set) but the solo stumps me?!?!?!?
    The Nile Song - the first Floyd song i dreamt of playing all those years ago. Haven't yet tried, but will do soon,
    Obscured by Clouds - no idea what this is like to play, but sounds cool in the way only Floyd can manage,
    On The Run (Travel Sequence) - the very early live-only pre-version before it became a synth fest,
    and

I can only imagine the raised eyebrows, tut-tuts and pursed lips amongst tFB cognoscenti at these rather idiosyncratic selections, but you know what, I don't care. I'd love to find someone with the same tastes and be willing to share the same desire to play these live.

yes! some great suggestions there, defo with u on the nile and OBC. used to play on the run / travel back in the early days but we dropped it in favour of doing something less random! hahaa
    @CustomPedalBoards - right, I see you're down for Sasquatch in Feb, so what do you say to giving one or more of these a go? I would be grateful for some pointers on playing On the Run/Travel Sequence.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    @Alnico - your willingness to help other players is an inspiration mate!
    Thank you Richard, that's very kind of you to say so.
  • fandango said:
    fandango said:

and

@CustomPedalBoards - right, I see you're down for Sasquatch in Feb, so what do you say to giving one or more of these a go? I would be grateful for some pointers on playing On the Run/Travel Sequence.
    on the run > make some noise in E (hope that helps) :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11679
    fandango said:

and

To be fair @fandango it is really only the main setlist where there are any firm rules. If you want to set up a jam on any of these you merely need one of the rooms and the rest of the "band", that's how "Rockin in the Free World" got started at Hudds. If you get to a standard you want to record it, it's likely there will be some studio time on Sunday, there was last time?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1012
    Thought I would add to this thread with a couple of songs which could sound good

For the floyd boys.... @fandango
    Roger Waters The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range (great guitar riff)

L.A Woman the Doors  Two chords (from memory)
    Road House Blues Doors/Quo
    Break on through: The Doors
    Country House: Neil Young
    Making plans for Nigel: XTC
    alone again or: Love (not sure if we have enough Hippies here?)

:)

“Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom